Stan

This is your chance!

If you guys don't want to understand that I have bills for 500,00€ a year for hosting costs, licensing fees and support fees that is one thing. But asking me to remove our only income is another... Remember, we are not paid for what we do.
You're doing a great job Stan

EDIT: ... by Stan

Guest Francis

Remove the ads as they do my head in. I know they help get money to pay for hosting but please consider it if others suggest it too !

That was such an ignorant post. Read Stan's posts carefully. Without them, you wouldn't be here. :nein:

Remove the ads as they do my head in.

And why do they do that?

But alright, I am going to talk clear-text with you guys. If I need to remove the advertisement I will stop my activities as webmaster and shut down the site and the server.

In no way I am going to work just to pay those bills. This service is provided for free so a little bit of understanding would be nice.

If you really want it removed, tell me a very good way onto how paying all this without them.

I am sorry to say that but you guys have zero idea about the money that I am dropping in this each month, and this comment proven it again.

Server costs a year: 599,00€

Domain costs a year: 38,00€

Licensing and support fees a year: 95,00€

===============================

Normal yearly running costs: 732,00€

One time fees over the last year: 250,00€

This years running costs: 982,00€ = 1247,04 US$

The time I and the staff put in this project: Priceless

There you go /\

EDIT: Anyways, you really can't tell me they really annoy that much. We have no popups and we have no flash or video ads jumping in your screen which you will click instead of closing. I can lowe the amount, if the income and the views stay the same. But that's something to test

Quote from another topic:

- Users wanted a Teamspeak -> I gave it, t failled and got closed

1. i say: Close it, i don't see any use for it.....

- Users wanted a Chat -> I gave it, t failled and got closed

2. i say: Close it, chat boxes always give problems, use up a lot of bandwidth(when used) and give a big pain in the *ss for nothing.

- Users wanted a Teamspeak -> Made it again and it's still there. Is anyone getting there? No!

3. See point 1

- Users wanted the ability to upload mods -> I gave the ability to upload mods up to 200Mb

4. And i thank you for that, more then enough room.

- Users wanted the ability to download at high speeds -> I bought a server with a 100Mb connection

5. Still loving you for that.

- We added a Tutorial section where users can submit their tutorials

6. I posted one there a time ago, still not on there :nein: (dutch, XML)

(most have gone awald during the building of the tut section :happy: )

- We merged the download database with he forum to give users their own administration of their own files

7. And that is not always so handy,...it will give a download/file a edited mark, but it will not light up the icons agains, so people can't see by icons, when or if a file is updated(they need to look at post date, and last update date.

- We gave modding teams the possibility to have their own subforum with their own administration of that part. Did this help? No

8. No commend, can only speak for GB mod's And we are glad with what we got :happy:

- We gave modders a bit of protection with the "no release date tolerance rule" and what did we get? Flaming!

9. Again great, would save modder a lot of time typing dates/ or saying no.

- I asked members and visitors to help with the walktroughs, did anyone finally help me? No

10. b4 my time i think :)

- I asked members to give their ideas to improve the site, and what did I get? Remove the ads ideas?

11. Well here are some other once then :)

If possible change the download icons, to light up when a file is updated, and not only when a file is posted.

Reactivate the blog sections, as it is still down since you cleaned the DB.

Still getting this now:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#1062] You have no permission to view the Blogs

Some tut's could be rewritten to dutch and reposted, as some here still can't read or read understandable English.

And this might be kicking against the wrong leg,..but be a bit stricter in the off topic section...

For the rest i think it's all good and clear. :12:

EDIT; If possible, make some sort of terms of agreement, that reminds users when they want to post on the help sections that they need to post with there text a logfile and dxfile, including the links to the FAQ on how to get them

What about removing the google bot avatar(I know its not a real avatar) as the ad post is about 3 times as big as it needs to be to fit the ad inside.

Also would it be possible to give us the ability to disable the friends function. For some reason people join the site,make a few posts, then add me as a friend. Why? I keep meaning to disable email notification for it, but there's still anotice that has to be cleared.

As for anything else, maybe putting all the NL FORUMS TOGEATHER AFTER THE US forums? Sorry for caps lock btw.

Concerning the Tutorial section, I am still working on some things on there so please be patient with approval of the tutorials :)

Concerning the downloads, edited files are replaced at the top If I am not mis-taken and If this is not the case right now, then I made a misconfiguration somewhere

Concerning the blogs, this is correct, I didn't have time to setup the rights for each mod twm yet but this will happen anytime soon :)

And Stans off for now

What about removing the google bot avatar(I know its not a real avatar) as the ad post is about 3 times as big as it needs to be to fit the ad inside.

Finally an idea that I can accept! I will make it smaller or fully remove it :)

Also would it be possible to give us the ability to disable the friends function. For some reason people join the site,make a few posts, then add me as a friend. Why? I keep meaning to disable email notification for it, but there's still anotice that has to be cleared.

I don't know if that's possible with the current possibilities in IPB, in case it's not it depends on the amount of work a coder needs to spend on it

As for anything else, maybe putting all the NL FORUMS TOGEATHER AFTER THE US forums? Sorry for caps lock btw.

And what difference would that make as it's now? I got to think about that one, because there are combination forums which complicates this a bit for me but from the other site, this might come handy

Concerning the Tutorial section, I am still working on some things on there so please be patient with approval of the tutorials :)

No worries, just pointed that out

Concerning the downloads, edited files are replaced at the top If I am not mis-taken and If this is not the case right now, then I made a misconfiguration somewhere

No, downloads and file stay in the same place, don't light up, just date is changed

Concerning the blogs, this is correct, I didn't have time to setup the rights for each mod twm yet but this will happen anytime soon :)

Understand able, take your time

And Stans off for now

Good night then

Guest seanny

And why do they do that?

But alright, I am going to talk clear-text with you guys. If I need to remove the advertisement I will stop my activities as webmaster and shut down the site and the server.

In no way I am going to work just to pay those bills. This service is provided for free so a little bit of understanding would be nice.

If you really want it removed, tell me a very good way onto how paying all this without them.

I am sorry to say that but you guys have zero idea about the money that I am dropping in this each month, and this comment proven it again.

Server costs a year: 599,00€

Domain costs a year: 38,00€

Licensing and support fees a year: 95,00€

Normal yearly running costs: 732,00€

One time fees over the last year: 250,00€

This years running costs: 982,00€ = 1247,04 US$

The time I and the staff put in this project: Priceless

There you go /\

EDIT: Anyways, you really can't tell me they really annoy that much. We have no popups and we have no flash or video ads jumping in your screen which you will click instead of closing. I can lowe the amount, if the income and the views stay the same. But that's something to test

Please do not shut down the site

:protest:

I don't know if that's possible with the current possibilities in IPB, in case it's not it depends on the amount of work a coder needs to spend on it

And what difference would that make as it's now? I got to think about that one, because there are combination forums which complicates this a bit for me but from the other site, this might come handy

Seems odd you wouldnt be able to choose this in user group settings. When vB added it they added the ability in usergroup settings i think.

It would group all the US Forums at the yop which are atleast twice as active as there NL counterpart, and would make things more organized. It would eliminate the need to look at a few forums then skip a few making skimming down the forums much easier. Not that its hard as is, but just saying.

Please do not shut down the site

:protest:

Did you read what you quoted?

Would be nice to get an example, as Admin I know where all is, my problem is I cannot see how members visit the site :)

I would do/like to see it this way

- Bold = Main topics folders

- Italic = sub topic folders

- normal = topics

- ADMIN:

-News and announcments

- Site and forum support

Topics that are already there

EM5 news:

As it is now.

Modifications:

- LA mod

- Modding teams

- MODS

*Placeholder for EM5 EN

*Placeholder for EM5 NL

EM4 Mods EN

EM4 Mods NL

EM3 Mods EN

EM3 Mods NL

Redirects to the download center(EM3 and EM4)links

Modding help:

Link to tutorials

Link to blogs(if accitaved and support blogs are there)

- Modding help EN

- Modding help NL

Game Support:(this is the same for EM3 and EM4 games)

- FAQ

- EN

- Technical help EN

- Multiplayer help EN

- General EN

- NL

- Technical help NL

- Multiplayer help NL

- General NL

Off topic:

- EN

- NL

Just my 2 cents :happy:

-Site

News & Announcement forum

FAQ

Site & Forum Support

-Modifications

[EN|NL] Los Angeles Mod

Emergency3 Mods - no redirect

Emergency4 Mods - no redirect

Modding Teams - Seems pointless. California modding team - I like puppysboy, but seriously he has started three mods and not finished one. Plus he has his own forum. Why does he have one? chiyoko they have one thread,why do they need a whole forum? Its got 2 pages of posts in 5 months. Not exactly a popular mod from the looks. EMP - therres actually a few threads in here, but still why a whole forum? EFR- They have one released mod. The rest of the threads are dead pretty much. GB - 1 completed mod, a few WIPs, and these mods dont seem overly popular. NorClans - there one WIP mod seems dead. SLUM - 3/4 mods released, they are the only group that seems worthy of an actual forum.

-Emergency 2012

[EN] General

-Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders

[EN] General

[EN] Multiplayer

[EN] Technical Help

[EN] Mission Help

[EN] Modding & Mod Help

-Emergency 3

[EN] Help

[EN] Modding & Mod Help

-Other

[EN] Off Topic

-Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders

[NL] General

[NL] Multiplayer

[NL] Technical Help

[NL] Mission Help

[NL] Modding & Mod Help

-Emergency 3

[NL] Help

[NL] Modding & Mod Help

-Other

[NL] Off Topic

Maybe not exactly, but you get the idea.

What do I think?

I think that this site really needs to help out with modding. First off there would be two infinitely useful items that could be added to the member bar on the side of their post.

The member bar should display:

Modding fields: Here is where people put what they can due i.e. skinning

Available to Work on mod y/n: A yes or no option that lets users see who could offer any help whatsoever.

Also I think that there should be a section just for modders, doing away with the "Mods and Help" and moving the help part into the help folder, that way people can browse by name and the modders that wish to have a focal point for their modding can do so with out linking to different pages. It would be great to have the modders come together, like a group for scripting, a group for skinning, a group for testing etc.

To be honest this site is more like a place for 2 topics. Off topic and LA mod. It's like going for the fries after you leave McDonalds. I really think that there should be at least two more mods, and then bring back chat, that way someone who is on a lot can police it and keep order.

Ads...

I honestly don't care about ads, as they mean nothing, once in a while I'll click on them and make revenue for the site, but that's it.

Guest Francis

Chat will not work, because first, people will go there and spam with their questions, so no more posts and then if somebody needs the same answer a few days later, he will still go to the chat instead of creating a new topic, and here goes the same thing over and over again. Very bad idea.

Most modders don't want to be known as because they don't want to be annoyed by people who want a mod. Imagine giving the opportunity to new comers and 10 years old to know whoever can modify the game... they'd just PM and PM and PM until they annoy people enough so that we start gaining reports about such PMs about "can creat me moddz?" or anything like that. Once again, very bad idea. Signatures may be used for that, but having a search filter and custom profile fields isn't great at all.

We aren't against having more modifications here, but the sad fact is that no other mod needs a forum. Simple as that.

Chat will not work, because first, people will go there and spam with their questions, so no more posts and then if somebody needs the same answer a few days later, he will still go to the chat instead of creating a new topic, and here goes the same thing over and over again. Very bad idea.

Most modders don't want to be known as because they don't want to be annoyed by people who want a mod. Imagine giving the opportunity to new comers and 10 years old to know whoever can modify the game... they'd just PM and PM and PM until they annoy people enough so that we start gaining reports about such PMs about "can creat me moddz?" or anything like that. Once again, very bad idea. Signatures may be used for that, but having a search filter and custom profile fields isn't great at all.

We aren't against having more modifications here, but the sad fact is that no other mod needs a forum. Simple as that.

True that, however the way it is now it's... near impossible to find someone to help with a mod, you know? You put something up there and two days later someone takes it and changes it for themselves. We need a modders union I think.

I was just thinking if we do anything at all why not put catsup on the server? It makes everything better. =) Thank you for your nice come back to that, and thank you for creating a well thought out counter argument.

Guest Francis

True that, however the way it is now it's... near impossible to find someone to help with a mod, you know? You put something up there and two days later someone takes it and changes it for themselves. We need a modders union I think.

I was just thinking if we do anything at all why not put catsup on the server? It makes everything better. =) Thank you for your nice come back to that, and thank you for creating a well thought out counter argument.

The problem is, people will not like being asked for help. When they want to help, they offer themselves and that's how it should work, in my opinion. Honestly, as a scripter, I wouldn't like everybody to know it and then get hundred of PMs per day just to be asked for help, there is a forum for that and that's why I keep it hidden. I'm sure 3 quarters of the forum didn't know I'm a scripter. And that's perfect like that, because if people know it, they'll bug me for help.

True that bro, but I get a lot of messages for help too, here and on other sites as well, I don't mind it though, even if there are 100 PMs I don't care, I just enjoy helping people out with their issues. I guess it's who I am. But maybe only visable to a group. Say Make a new group called "Veteran Users" and have them only be able to view it. I've only used free IPB but there's a lot you can do even with that.

Guest Francis

True that bro, but I get a lot of messages for help too, here and on other sites as well, I don't mind it though, even if there are 100 PMs I don't care, I just enjoy helping people out with their issues. I guess it's who I am. But maybe only visable to a group. Say Make a new group called "Veteran Users" and have them only be able to view it. I've only used free IPB but there's a lot you can do even with that.

Sure that's a possibility, but quite useless to be totally honest, at least from my side.

Also I think that there should be a section just for modders, doing away with the "Mods and Help" and moving the help part into the help folder, that way people can browse by name and the modders that wish to have a focal point for their modding can do so with out linking to different pages. It would be great to have the modders come together, like a group for scripting, a group for skinning, a group for testing etc

I like the general concept, however as Francis pointed out it has its downside. Maybe tweak the idea so the field are hidden(I think you said this?) and there is a hidden forum only for those who have proven to show the ability to do some scripting,modeling, or some sort of tallent regarding modding, and just reskins dont count. This place would be for modders to come together like you said. The forum has to be hidden though because if you show enough ability to mod here, you will be pmed regardless of the profile field, but not makeing it stand out unless the person wants to contacted like you. For instance, i hate being pmed about stuff, but if people make a thread i am usually willing to help out even if its some one who generally annoys the crap out of me.

Now my question: And how much people will really fill in that field?

And sorry to say that but this:

this site is more like a place for 2 topics. Off topic and LA mod

Was the biggest bullshit I ever heard

I think that this site really needs to help out with modding

As I already told in the other topic: We provided the platform for users to meet, finally it is not our work to help your guys with the mods and your issues. I already told it and will keep repeating it since I have zero time to waste my few time with that.

Technical help is one thing, modding is another. On the German or the French forum this isn't different... the users are helping users and not the staff is helping with mods.

My pov /\

As I already told in the other topic: We provided the platform for users to meet, finally it is not our work to help your guys with the mods and your issues. I already told it and will keep repeating it since I have zero time to waste my few time with that.

Technical help is one thing, modding is another. On the German or the French forum this isn't different... the users are helping users and not the staff is helping with mods.

My pov /\

I dont think he meant the staff specifically, and assuming he didnt mean staff, you said you made this site as a place for people to get together and share models and so forth. I dont see alot of that going on. NNICO gave away some models awhile ago, a cv and Impala if memory serves me right. Aside from that i dont see any one else contributing models in such a way. Same for scripts,custom maps, etc.

You give us a platform to speak our mind, and you say "it's bullshit?" Now i didnt quite understand his point, but you gave us the platform to speak. If you dont agree with it, i dont see a problem in saying so, but was a comment like that really needed?

Here's my point....

.......................................................---Mad at weight gain

..................---Hunger --- Solve Situations --- Eat cookies <

EMERGENCY PLANET < ................................---Eat some peanut butter

..................---Bitch about something --- Reply with smart come back

.......................................\Make edits as you misread something

That's my point.

For help with this read it through, then see step A if you cannot find step a refer to step 1 to guide you in the right direction. Also Stan, give your self a 100% warning just for saying bullfecalmatter a lot, come on what the truck dude.

----

I really want to have a place for modders to get together, without n00bs, what in your power Stan is possible. Let's work with this. I think that we should have a mod competition to start out with, raise intrest other then for some people to bitch about problems we've heard about tens of thousands of times. I think we need more creativity outlets then just mods. Say art work or fan machinima?