Kookas

West Midlands Mod (In Progress)

West Mids Poll  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Manual or Automated commands?

• Manual
    • Automated

Oh, regarding the possible Vauxhall Vectra police car, I think you may have seen a Skoda Octavia and mistook it for a Vectra ;) They don't look so different. No mod news until tomorrow though, sorry!

Guest Francis

1600 polys is not near the maximum. If you don't care about people running Pentium 3s, then you are fine to go up to 4000.

Correction there, you can go up to 15 000, thanks to MikePI. :)

Oh, regarding the possible Vauxhall Vectra police car, I think you may have seen a Skoda Octavia and mistook it for a Vectra ;) They don't look so different.

If you're talking to me here, I'm pretty sure it was a Vectra.

In fact, 100000% sure, because I saw it again yesterday, and got a good long look at it. :)

The Freedom Of Information thing that WM Police sent to Forensics doesn't mention anything about Vauxhall Vectras. I don't think they have them.

It could have been from another police force instead, and next time you see one why don't you take a pic and upload it so we can see.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I don't feel that was off-topic, because we are trying to get West Midlands Mod to have realistic vehicles so it can be realistic as possible. It is all part of planning, for future reference ;)

Also, I found out what the actual roof ID codes mean. The official website for the WMPS strongly implies that the different codes (LetterNumber) on the roof show what station the vehicle comes from.

Below is a link to the source of that information, and the different codes for the various stations.

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/np/index.asp

This means that either I need to base the map on somewhere real, or I have to make up my own station code. It's quite complicated because this now means that I may well have to script the dispatch system so that cars called from the map are all different with different roof codes.

However, it shouldn't be so bad. I think I may centre the map around the Kings Heath High Street. I think it's a great location for this game.

First off, as its in the city (with Central London-like traffic on the High St.), car chases almost never happen, so that gives a nice explanation for EM4's lack of car chases. Secondly, it has a big crime every now and then - armed robbery, stabbings, etc. Thirdly, it's very close to where I live, so its not a problem if I need to go and get resources for making the map.

Also, a reason no ARVs were on that FOI fleet list - this idea also explains why that armoured Land Rover was seen in Staffordshire and in the West Midlands. Perhaps we don't have enough gun-related crime around here to justify the West Midlands owning its own fleet of ARVs, so when we do need them we just borrow one from Staffordshire.

Expect some mod updates + screenshots throughout this weekend :)

And yes, I am going to change the medical bag.

Oh, and don't expect any missions, not even for 0.9, maybe for 0.99 but I doubt it.

Also, a reason no ARVs were on that FOI fleet list - this idea also explains why that armoured Land Rover was seen in Staffordshire and in the West Midlands. Perhaps we don't have enough gun-related crime around here to justify the West Midlands owning its own fleet of ARVs, so when we do need them we just borrow one from Staffordshire.

Expect some mod updates + screenshots throughout this weekend :)

I doubt that, just the town of Shrewsbury has 2 ARVs.

Looking forward to updates. :)

Thanks. To ensure every mesh gets put in-game correctly will be a tad tedious. I'll probably end up messing it up, maybe I'll forget to import one of the meshes into ZModeler (that's almost the worst one, because then I have to try and get it scaled to the same scale as the rest of the meshes).

fire001.jpg

Not sure about the colour of the middle part of the roof though. Might actually be red.

What do they do? Do they guard the scene of the attack or what?

Also, more firetruck work coming soon. I think the hardest parts are still to come though :P

they secure the area, becauses bombing are classed as terrorist attack, they can be used as intelligence gathering and searching for the attackers, they also can be used in large sacle national emergency's like bombings, floods, buildings collapsing because of weight, large scale ravine/cliffe collapses, etc, etc.

Okay.

Does anyone know what the rest of the message on the poster on the side of fire engines says?

freifeuer.jpg

Anyone willing to help, if you think you can read the message, go ahead :)

You can see it in these photos:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/110985395_0617dcadf9.jpg

110985523_657e6f9298.jpg?v=0

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40818000/jpg/_40818024_evacuat203.jpg

Also, in the last photo, you can clearly see that's a MAN TGM Pump Rescue Ladder of the WMFS ;) So either that was converted into the MAN TGM Water Tower, or Dennis isn't the only member of the PRL fleet.

The phone number and website address can be found on the website of the Fire Service but what does the rest say?

http://www.wmfs.net/Stay+Safe/Free_Home_Fire_Safety_Check/

Also, a new, more likely reason for the list's lack of ARVs.

This fleet list:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1106358@N21/

Look at the Unmarked section. All the ARVs are under that. It implies that all of WMP's ARVs are unmarked.

I saw the black Audi A6 Estate sitting at a traffic light suddenly turn its lights on and drive off once. It had red and blue lights around the middle brakelight.