Commander Rasseru

Emergency Headlight Flashing

When did "Emergency Headlight Flashing" became used in US emergency units? Is it a little pointless to have them on mark police cars?

Also other nations in the world hardly use them in emergency units. A flashing headlight while driving at night could cause problems too.

Why do we use "Emergency Headlight Flashing"? Where the idea came from?

Does it cause any problems?

If you're talking about the wig-wag flashers I don't think it's pointless as, in the UK where the only forward facing emergency lights tend to be blue, it provides a colour contrasting flash to alternate with the grill/dash/mirror lights. Also, normally they are a different light in the headlight compartment to the headlight so at night the driver still has headlights. More often than not on marked units the light bars incorporate some sort of forward facing light for driving as well.

As far as I know it doesn't cause any problems but I don't know where the idea came from - maybe it came from unmarked units and just spread to the other vehicles.

The OC-D

one reason I like it is headlights are bright and are quite noticable when flashing. more often then not to there is a seperate bulb in the headlight compartment that does the flashing. on our ambulances the wig wag system is built in with the normal headlight. so during night time it has a bright over ride. so when you turn on your brights the head lights quit flashing. I believe all wig wags that are built into the regualr lights have this feature.

A flashing headlight while driving at night could cause problems too.

Why do we use "Emergency Headlight Flashing"?

The flashing headlight problem, I assume your referring to the possibility of sending some one into a seizure for example, could just as easily be argued towards the use of there reds and/or blues.

I suppose its for better visibility.

I actually questioned how this would effect units in rural areas where headlights are more vital in lighting the road. I suppose the red and blues could compensate to some extent but doesnt seem theyd fully compensate for the lack of a constant headlight beam.

I'm not talking about wig-wag flashers that are lights that are not part of the car's headlights.

I'm talking about the lights that flash within the headlights. Some other nations may use headlight flashers. But these might first started to be used in the US during the 80s? What I heard that some models of the headlight flashers can't be turn off when siren light are running. The flashing of the headlights cause many problems for other drivers and the officer in the car. Because they can't see as well or being blind by them.

Wig-wag flashers are used to solve the blinding problem and no extra switch for headlights to turn off flashers.

Do the headlight flasher cost more money to install? And that's why some nations do not use them? Or they don't use them because of other problems?

The wigwag headlights are used primarily to gain more attention of the drivers, nowadays they are steering away from them with the LED lightbars and much more options for driver attention grabbing devices..

The headlight flashers are able to be purchased just like lightbars and all that, it gets hooked up to your fuses, and when turned on the headlights blink in whatever pattern you set it to. A lot of places chose to purcahse other types of attention grabbing lights instead of these.. They are extremely popular with unmarked cruisers, especially older ones before the LED phenomenon, The main reason for this is less lights have to be put on the vehicle so it won't stand out as much.

Why not have them? They look cool and work. Just because something's not used by Japan doesn't make it not cool/impractical.

I didn't say "cool" or applying Japan only. Not all nations used them and cool is not that point. Usefulness in ways is the point.

I was told that some nations that do have them. Don't use them at night.

Then you have some people saying they have no switch and others do have a switch.

Its possible, yes, to have or not have a switch, but I would imagine in most cases there wired directly into the light controller for the red and blues as I wouldnt think the cops have time to go switch on a million different light switches at times.

Most switches are limit and simple. Can't really program them.

Well it still has to be programmable I would imagine, because for example(i dont know any controller makes or models) if Controller A can be used to control a Arjent Lightbar, MX7000, JetStream, JetSolaris, Justice, and controller B can as well, then how does the controller know which LEDs to light on an Arjent, for example, or which light and rotators to power for an MX7000? Maybe there not programmable from the unit but using a computer or something I am guessing theres some way to program it.

Plus I wasnt saying the light controller has many settings, I was meaning they dont have time to flip a switch for the siren, switch for the light bar, switch for headlights strobes/hide a ways, and so forth.

most units do actually have a different switch for each light. But, they are all also hooked up to a switch that says sequencer. so you simply leave all the lights in the on position and keep the sequencer button turned off. or you just shut off the master switch and leave all the lights in on. that way you just have one button to push to light it all up.

While I understand that emergency lighting is very important, so departments just go way overboard with it.

One of our local departments utilizes all the deck and dash lights you would see on a slick top unit, plus front and rear stealth strobes, wig wag's, outside rearview mirror strobes and they top in all off with a decked out V-Bar on the roof.

The bad part is that department policy says they keep everything lit up on a traffic stop. All those lights just sitting there create a major traffic hazard in my eyes, but what do I know.

Every lights position on an Apparatus has a purpose to it...

Headlights are designed for Rear mirrors, and back mirrors for the vehicles ahead. When it flashes, the flashing on the mirror catches your attention.

Firetrucks, EMS and Police now has Side Lights on their vehicles, and its for Intersections, so they won't get T-boned, or cause an accident.

Back lights are for rear emergency advisory. Corner Strobes for Intersections and w/e. Its not for the looks but for the safety.

360 lights for scene safety, response safety and so on.

Everything can explain your answer here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_veh...#Warning_lights

^thats doesnt mean it cant be over done. Like what FireLT described, does sound like it could be over kill. If you have a vbar on top I dont think you need all the deck and ash lights of a slicktop. If you have a lightbar on top, wig wags or strobes in the brake lights, and possibly a low key LED set up on the sides rear deck by the brake light is good.

I think some departments can't get rid of some light because of different views in the department. Like old style lights vs. new led. Or Some saying "My Patrol car got hit by another car because they can't see me." I bet some officer just stop in a bad place any way.

All light left on at day or night "with out any dangers". Are traffic hazard to people not watching the road. That why some Highway Patrol units tell people to pull over at the next off ramp. Other nations have places on their highways where you can pull over way off from just an Emergency lane.