Guest Khelben

How to run the game on one core

Guest Khelben

Recently I've been playing quite a lot in multiplayer, using LA mod. In every match I played I had some performance issue, meaning the game becomes really slow, especially when several vehicles are around the map. A similar problem happens with few other games (especially Simcity 4) which don't run too well with multicore processors (in my case a dual-core). So the idea is to use only one core to run the game. In my case it worked and the game now is as fast as it should... so if you have the same problem it might work for you too! I don't really know if this was mentioned before, I did a quick search on the forum without results...

So, the way to go is the following:

- Run EM4 as usual

- Alt-tab to desktop and run task manager (es. CTRL-ALT-DEL)

- Look for the process "em4deluxe.exe"

- Select it and right-click on it

- Click on "Set affinity"

- Deselect any CPU above 0 (leave only CPU 0 selected)

- Close task manager and return to game

Now the game runs on a single core, just play as usual and see if you have some benefits.

If it solved the problem (hurrah!) the annoying thing is you would have to repeat the procedure every time you run EM4... so let's make a batch file and place a shortcut on your desktop:

- Open the folder where EM4 is installed

- Make a new file named EM4.bat (the extension must be .bat as in "batch file")

- Open it in notepad and type:

cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 em4deluxe.exe

- Save it and close notepad

- Now, create a shortcut of EM4.bat and place the shortcut on your desktop

- If you like, change the icon of the shortcut and use the one of em4deluxe.exe

Done! To see if it works (it should if you did correctly!) try to use the new shortcut to run the game. If the game runs, alt-tab and run task manager to see if the process is actually using just CPU 0. If it does, well done! Always run the game with that shortcut!

Guest pmadden94

This is helpful, but I don't know why you were having problems with a dual processor.

Here is what I have on my laptop:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System Model: HP G60 Notebook PC

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 3972MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

But basically, it is a 17 inch laptop with Windows 7 and 450 gigs of memory and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator with 1500MB video memory.

If you have a good computer. EM4 LA MOD works fine.

For me, the mod loads in exactly 1 minute and four seconds. And my freeplay maps loads in 39 seconds.

My advice: Dont install too much crap on your computer and it will work fine.

Take my advice. I fixed the entire computer network in my school, and I work for Geek Squad. I know a lot about computers

Guest Khelben

@pmadden: it's not about having a good computer or too much crap installed... some applications are just not designed to run on multicores and eventually perform worse on multicores (Simcity 4 is a well known example). I just tried to run EM4 on a single core and in my case it solved the slowness problem I had with LAmod (during the game, not the loading time...). As I know other people are having the same problem (both with and without LAmod) I'm just saying to try that and see if it works for them too. If it doesn't, no harm done. Simple.

@Ami89: If you don't know what I'm talking about just ask or shut up. Just don't spread lies or false alarms. Thanks.

I think I found a troll... ^

Wow, if you think I don't know what you're talking about... you really need to calm down and learn what sarcasm is. Only reason I said that is because viruses are made much the same way; you use Notepad to write the virus (which looks the same i.e. syntax) and then save it as .bat and then distribute :rolleyes:. So it is you who is spreading the false alarms/lies. Stop.

• Downvote 1

This is helpful, but I don't know why you were having problems with a dual processor.

Here is what I have on my laptop:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System Model: HP G60 Notebook PC

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 3972MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

But basically, it is a 17 inch laptop with Windows 7 and 450 gigs of memory and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator with 1500MB video memory.

If you have a good computer. EM4 LA MOD works fine.

For me, the mod loads in exactly 1 minute and four seconds. And my freeplay maps loads in 39 seconds.

My advice: Dont install too much crap on your computer and it will work fine.

Take my advice. I fixed the entire computer network in my school, and I work for Geek Squad. I know a lot about computers

If you work for geek squad I really hope you can pick out the typo in you system specs because its the second time you posted it wrong. If your Geek Squad and you cant pick out the typo, you need a new career.

cmd.exe => the program that is goign to be used

/c => means that the following commands will be processed and the prompt will be terminated

start=> you're going to start something now

affinity 1 => you just configured this to use cpu core 1

em4deluxe.exe => this is the executable you just configured

There's another way to do it, but requires some testing from my side since I didn't use my executable for long long time

Edit:

What I used before was a high priority command. Edited it and added the core tweak

cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 /high /wait "E:\Program Files (x86)\sixteen tons entertainment\Emergency 4 Deluxe\Em4Deluxe.exe"

450 gigs of memory

Your computer has 450GB of RAM? Technology just gets better and better... :P

Also, as for this, I think I will try it. I have a quad-core AMD processor. I'll see how it goes with setting affinity to #0...

On 1/7/2010 at 6:33 PM, Guest Khelben said:

If it solved the problem (hurrah!) the annoying thing is you would have to repeat the procedure every time you run EM4... so let's make a batch file and place a shortcut on your desktop:

- Open the folder where EM4 is installed

- Make a new file named EM4.bat (the extension must be .bat as in "batch file")

- Open it in notepad and type:

- Save it and close notepad

- Now, create a shortcut of EM4.bat and place the shortcut on your desktop

- If you like, change the icon of the shortcut and use the one of em4deluxe.exe

Done! To see if it works (it should if you did correctly!) try to use the new shortcut to run the game. If the game runs, alt-tab and run task manager to see if the process is actually using just CPU 0. If it does, well done! Always run the game with that shortcut!

An alternative to doing this is by installing Process Lasso and setting it by that. You can also set some other things with Process Lasso that can help make your game run better.