Well, the millitary operations goes under the so called "war" against terror... And no, it never got a go from the UN... And also, it clearly breaks the geneva convention when it comes to POW's
Oh really? Since when did the Taliban or Al-Qaeda care about the Geneva convention? Doubt that was in Al-Qaeda's mindset when they beheaded a man in front of a camera. As far as American and NATO treatment of POW's I don't get where your going. We have some of the nicest facilities for detaining terrorists, Gitmo is a facility that has a non-government employee to make sure the prisoners are being treated right. This war or "military operation" as you so eloquently put it is restoring order to a failed state, Afghanistan.
fighting for liberty? right. anyone in the military is just throwing their life away at the most pointless and unlawful conflict in history. weve been there and accomplished what we needed to. now we need to leave and focus on the problems at home instead of pissing around in some countries nobodys ever heard of.
Tell that to a soldier, marine, airmen or sailor. "pissing around in some countries nobodys ever heard of." Tell that to an Afghan civilian. Your ignorance is simply astounding. Pointless and unlawful? I guess we should just leave the middle east to create a giant clusterfuck like most of Africa is. Do you even know anything about those people "throwing their life away at the most pointless and unlawful conflict in history."? My uncle was there in Fallujah in 2005, less than a year after we launched Phantom Fury, a operation to take back the essentially insurgent run city. My uncle says he was slapped by a woman when he was there, but you know what, that isn't what he remember most about when he was there. He told me the things he remembers most were the kids without a real school or education system, the non-existent police force, and the violence of the insurgency. My cousin, nearly killed by an IED in I believe 2006, thinks the war in Iraq is just. His job was to clear IEDs off roads and destroy caches of weapons. He put his life in jeopardy just about everyday he left the wire and he believe that when he left Iraq was taking baby steps in the right direction. Maybe if we didn't let greedy black suits run our military affairs and instead let men that have put their lives on the line and fired a weapon in charge we would be better off.

As for Afghanistan, I'm glad that Obama is starting to shift troops there. The Taliban are feared by Afghan civilians, even the Pashtun fear them. Afghanistan is a war our military knows how to fight, Iraq was completely alien to us. We learned from it and we can apply our new and old skills to the war in Afghanistan.

my meaning is that all the US did is make the world more unsafe by pissing off the terrorists... Make love not war, condoms are cheaper than guns

Next time a plane hits us and kills thousands we will be sure to ignore it. :12:

F*ckin Right on Hoppah! If you people don't like war, you don't like government, not soldiers. Soldiers sign up for two resons:

1) Either they believe in the cause, or

2) They don't want conscription/drafting to come into effect and their friends and/or family to have to go.

The only reason people join up is because they want to kill people, it's true, it's what they all say. (where i'm from anyway)

my meaning is that all the US did is make the world more unsafe by pissing off the terrorists... Make love not war, condoms are cheaper than guns

I am pretty sure it was Osama Bin Laden and his friends who urged the jihad against the West (long before) the attacks on 9/11. Your opinion isn't really objective, is it? So tell me, are you here to bash the US or are you just that simple-minded as I already thought?

The only reason people join up is because they want to kill people, it's true, it's what they all say. (where i'm from anyway)

There is no army in the world with its goal to kill people. How old are you actually that you think people join the army to kill people? That's just ridiculous. Do you actually KNOW people who are or have been in the army?

My close family member- part of the USMC served a tour in Iraq, was hit by an IED and receved a purple heart- discharged from the USMC. After he got out he joined blackwater, so he can help vital supplies get to the people that need it doing this for less then normal pay. Everyone needs to remember not to take anything for granted, there are people in the middle of this that are being affected, and our troops are protecting them and preparing there forces to protect.

I'm gald you can laugh this off... chances are, you don't have friends who are there. You haven't been to a soldiers funeral, seeing his wife cry. F*ck. One of my really good friends is in CFB Petawawa trainging to deploy to Afghanistan. One person, whom I've never met, but added me on Facebook for defending her career, has JUST, JUST been deployed. Guess who she leaves behind? I baby son. No more than 3 years old. You try leaving your 3 year old son, not knowing is he's ever gonna see you again. THEN, and only then, do you have ANY right to criticise/demean ANY of the worlds Armies, Navies and Air Forces.

This year, I, in my dress uniform, attended a service for Cpl Tyler Crooks, of Port Colborne, Ont. Cpl Crooks served with the Royal Canadian Regiment. He was killed on his 24th Birthday.

He was to have been married this year; instead he will be buried. - Toronto Star, 22 MAR 2009
Tyler was my everything, and now he is gone. They took him from me. I can no longer legally marry Tyler. But, in my hear, Tyler, (looks up to heaven) You will always be my husband. - Fiancee, Kelly Maxwell, at Cpl Crooks' Funeral Service.

Quite frankly, we are a nation of nutters :happy:

Oh no, jab mentioned Blackwater. £10 says someone starts a rant about how bad they are etc etc

USMC123 and Jab16 sound like they have a really awesome family, good for yous :)

Nope, you ask an 18 year old why he wants to fight in the war. They will almost always say 'i want to f*ucking kill some f*ucking terrorists. Or something like that.

Yep, hunter 'nation of nutters'

Jesus christ, your asking some fucked up people then. Because 95% of servicemen don't think that way.

I am pretty sure it was Osama Bin Laden and his friends who urged the jihad against the West (long before) the attacks on 9/11. Your opinion isn't really objective, is it? So tell me, are you here to bash the US or are you just that simple-minded as I already thought?

There is no army in the world with its goal to kill people. How old are you actually that you think people join the army to kill people? That's just ridiculous. Do you actually KNOW people who are or have been in the army?

My opinion is seen from the side of a person who is an instructor in International Humanitarian Rights AkA Rules of war.

And im not here to bash the US, but we do have proof that they denied the ICRC access to gitmo's POW's... Wich is another breaking of the geneva convention.

And i do not agree to the "All 18 year olds who wants to join the army only does it to kill people" I want to join the norwegian navy because i want to help people in need

My opinion is seen from the side of a person who is an instructor in International Humanitarian Rights AkA Rules of war.

And im not here to bash the US, but we do have proof that they denied the ICRC access to gitmo's POW's... Wich is another breaking of the geneva convention.

And i do not agree to the "All 18 year olds who wants to join the army only does it to kill people" I want to join the norwegian navy because i want to help people in need

Your old enough to be an instructor in International Humanitarian Rights but your not old enough to serve your country?

I have many friends in the forces, one of my best friends has done three tours in Afgahnistan. I personnaly would be in the forces, and still can be called upon to go to war as I'm a Marine Engineering Officer in the Merch Navy, which includes the Royal Fleet Axuliaries who are armed, and well for example unarmed Merch Navy guys died in the Flaklands also.

Now for my explinations to Afghan and Iraq...

People who say we should bring the troops home today clearly have no understanding of warfare, its history and its greater effect on home, abroad, economy, social effects and international relations. People die in wars and that rate is not directly proportional to troops deployed and deaths are relatively low for the intensity of fighting and guerrila tactics of the taliban.

The war in Iraq has nothing to do with Afgahistan, we were in Afgahnistan before Iraq also, although both in the middle east, they otherwise have no connection.

In the 1980s Iraq had a extensive chemical (biological included) and nuclear research programme, America did not have chemical weapons nor par-take in any conflicts still since they were still sore over Vietnam, busy restructing their own forces still.

However the UK did sell much of its hardware to Iraq in the 1980s Iraq vs. Iran war. Iraq had large amounts of WMDs removed off it in the first Gulf War, but in my opinion, it was probably just to keep fuel prices low, and yes a lot of wars you barely here of happen to keep the economy steady and food, luxuries and oil supplied to our homes. Not that I'm saying Iraq was just.

Someone who claims "Who has even ever herd of Afgahnistan anyway" shows complete selfishness to over beings, inhumanitarinism and a sad lack of knowledge of geography and world history. I mean it was only a major battlefield of the Cold War.

So anyway, I'm glad to say most people in Britian and America, although I can not talk for the other NATO countries, as I do not know the answer, but for Britian and America, the majority of people, the more level headed ones, greatly support the armed forces and our proud of what they are doing out their to help Afgahn, the Afgahnistan population, and home security. :12:

Jesus christ, your asking some fucked up people then. Because 95% of servicemen don't think that way.

Can't speak for Forensics, but people who say that here are just joking but will stay in a serious attitude and will probably only say that.

It's like when people ask why I want to join the police. I tell them it's so I can beat people with a nightstick - not the real reason, but people find it more of an entertaining answer.

Can't speak for Forensics, but people who say that here are just joking but will stay in a serious attitude and will probably only say that.

It's like when people ask why I want to join the police. I tell them it's so I can beat people with a nightstick - not the real reason, but people find it more of an entertaining answer.

Yep probably true.

Also what people have got to remember is that fighting in war is not the only thing to do to 'serve your country'

There are many other ways of doing this like becoming a doctor and generally helping in your country this is still serving your country and is just as important.

Well, most Doctors do it because they get paid £130k a year, unlike a normal soldier on 16-20k (UK numbers for example here). They aren't risking their own lifes to save others exactly. This is more true in countries like USA where all doctors are currently private, and people get ripped off big style for healthcare.

Fireman, Policemen and to a degree Paramedics, they do put their neck out on the line to help other people though, and I massively apprecaite that. :12:

Money is just a form of allowing people to do what their best at, then use that money to gain what they need from other people who are skilled at their professions too. Some are more money hungry then others, but its not the monies fault, different people work very hard at getting different things, or have different ideals.