Stan

Windows 7

I've got windows 7 home premium, but that's quite a story how I got it,... lolz...

On last tuesday (not today) my PC just stopped, the hard drive was broken, so we went to the store to get a new hard drive, we couldn't find the one we wanted, so we went to a other store, where we bought a new PC (our old pc was, .... old).

And you can't believe it, but as soon we got all standard programs (virus scanner, MSN, and other stuff) installed. BAM! ERROR!!!!

The processor was shit.

So we bought a new processor, and now,,... LOVE IT!

PC is as fast as a cheetah!

Windows 7 rating: 9/10 > if you had vista, win7 is easier to understand, than when you had XP or an older version.

If you got a good pc, windows 7 runs fast, with a slow pc, win7 will run slow no matter what!

My PC specs:

CPU: IntelĀ® Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

CPU Speed: 2.83 GHz Performance Rated at: 6.3675 GHz

RAM: 3.5 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (Build 7600)

Video Card: ATI display adapter (0x9490)

Features VC: *Video Ram: 2.0GB *3D - YES *Pixel Shader Version 4.0

DirectX Version: 10.0

Sound Card: ATI High Definition Audio Device

Free Disk Space: 790.1 GB

DVD Rom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device

Post your specs please.

Ive got windows 7 and i must say im not too pleased with it, there doesnt seem to be any difference just thats its slower, alot doesnt work with it and its quite confusing, but ill wait and see what happens because all systems have teething problems :)

james

How does it not seem different? The taskbar alone is a huge make over. Start menu can be customized now. Amazing driver support.

Maybe you should format and do a clean install if you upgraded. And get quality anti virus like Nod32, and Malwarebytes(free). Oh and good firewall like Comodo(free).

The installation dvd doens't come from HP but an external firm

Yeah i had a feeling.

Just got my editon of Windows 7 Ultimate today, loving it so far but what do you guys recomend in terms of antivirus? I was looking at Kaspersky Lab but let me know what you think...

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive...nge/results.php

Kasperskey is good, very good but Comodo is a consistent Top 3 firewall and its completely free. Last time I checked they were basing there results on the firewall itself, but looks like the test has grown to include comodo anti-virus now as it has now been bundled with the firewall. However you can choose to use the firewall or anti virus only. The results for NOD32(ESET) here are based on the firewall and anti virus software, not solely on the anti-virus which comes highly recommended by pretty much all knowledgeable geeks I know.

Just dont waste you time with Norton.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive...nge/results.php

Kasperskey is good, very good but Comodo is a consistent Top 3 firewall and its completely free. Last time I checked they were basing there results on the firewall itself, but looks like the test has grown to include comodo anti-virus now as it has now been bundled with the firewall. However you can choose to use the firewall or anti virus only. The results for NOD32(ESET) here are based on the firewall and anti virus software, not solely on the anti-virus which comes highly recommended by pretty much all knowledgeable geeks I know.

Just dont waste you time with Norton.

Alright cheers mate. I'm using the firewall and anti-virus :)

What's wrong with Norton?

Well the thing i didn't like about it was it use's alot of the system resources, slow and didn't like the over all feel of it.

What's wrong with Norton?

Well Bennie tocuhed most of the bases, but on top of that, the protection is crap. When put up against the likes of NOD32 or Kasperskey it fails miserably.

Like Beenie said resources are big thing to. My dads old P4 could be a descent pc given all he needs to do is check his email and do some lite web browsing, but with Norton on there, it takes it 10-15 minuets to boot to a usable state.

Did you get the upgrade through Microsoft or HP? I ordered and installed the free upgrade for someone and I had to to through Microsoft.

HP, their logo is even printed on the dvds. After I bought my laptop (last September) I got a brochure with information about Window 7. That I could order and get it as soon as it was released. I had to send a scanned copy of my receipt to some website. Unfortunately, it took a while before I got the upgrade kit. I think it took almost 2 months before they verified that I am allowed to get Windows 7. I only had to pay ā‚¬25 for the (shipping) costs. After I paid I got the kit two days later from Germany. :)

I got 2 dvd's: 1 upgrade dvd (if I don't want to lose files) and 1 dvd with Windows 7 itself. I did a clean install to get rid of the HP software on my computer though.

I also got a manual in 20 languages, including English!!!

I just installed it on my laptop and looks pretty good. :D

Those who have it:

Are there any/lots of compatibility issues like there were in vista?

Not at all... all of my devices have been found and installed because Windows 7 has a lot of drivers pre configured.

k im getting an Alienware for Xmas :) (it cost $1900 btw) with 7 Pro. can i still play XP games (like EM4) on with the thing you download? and do Vista compatible games not need it?

:WTF: If im reading it right, then xp games and vista games both work... if they dont there is combatability mode for xp + vista so most things should work.

HP, their logo is even printed on the dvds. After I bought my laptop (last September) I got a brochure with information about Window 7. That I could order and get it as soon as it was released. I had to send a scanned copy of my receipt to some website. Unfortunately, it took a while before I got the upgrade kit. I think it took almost 2 months before they verified that I am allowed to get Windows 7. I only had to pay ā‚¬25 for the (shipping) costs. After I paid I got the kit two days later from Germany. :)

I got 2 dvd's: 1 upgrade dvd (if I don't want to lose files) and 1 dvd with Windows 7 itself. I did a clean install to get rid of the HP software on my computer though.

I also got a manual in 20 languages, including English!!!

I just installed it on my laptop and looks pretty good. :D

Wow my girlfriend payed for hers back in october and still hasnt gotten it.

Those who have it:

Are there any/lots of compatibility issues like there were in vista?

For the most part no. Its built on the same Kernel as Vista but with better driver support then Vista ever managed. You may run into the odd compatibility problem but the biggest problem I had was getting Myst to run, but that was designed for Win 95 so go figure.

k im getting an Alienware for Xmas :) (it cost $1900 btw) with 7 Pro. can i still play XP games (like EM4) on with the thing you download? and do Vista compatible games not need it?

Why?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=16447368

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7542/cpu...g&mv_pc=141

Slightly over budget but worth it for the great drops in cpu temps. Now can you tell me your Alienware has that many top quality components in it? Can you tell me the Alienware can out perform the custom build?

Dont be scared to build. Its like a lego kit, except everything only fits one way. Plus if something goes wrong, you can take the bad part out, ship it back. With the Alienware, have fun paying the return shipping if something breaks.

why not. no custom case looks as cool as Alienware, besides i dont want to or am able to waste my time to build my own, i have more important things to do.

the reason i asked is because i heard you have to download some program from Microsoft so XP games and such are compatible on 7. i dont know if you need it or just turn on compatibility mode. jesus, you dont need to make such a big deal out of it guys, it honestly was just a 1 post reply

and that post from Stan was completely unnecessary and uncalled for as well. @Stan: who cares about what you have to say over that matter? cause i really dont. if you dont like what i wrote what was the point to quoting it and bitching about it?

why not. no custom case looks as cool as Alienware, besides i dont want to or am able to waste my time to build my own, i have more important things to do.

I beg to differ.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-003-_-Product

the reason i asked is because i heard you have to download some program from Microsoft so XP games and such are compatible on 7. i dont know if you need it or just turn on compatibility mode. jesus, you dont need to make such a big deal out of it guys, it honestly was just a 1 post reply

and that post from Stan was completely unnecessary and uncalled for as well. @Stan: who cares about what you have to say over that matter? cause i really dont. if you dont like what i wrote what was the point to quoting it and bitching about it?

Windows 7 professional and ultimate come with what Microsoft calls "Windows XP" mode. It's basicly a built in virtualizer that allows you to run programs in Windows XP if they don't work with 7.

@ xplorer. I would go with a X58 based build as opposed to a P55 based build for a gaming rig. Those i7 920s (that cost only $199.99 at Microcenter) can hit 4 GHz on air with a little voltage. Some current X58 boards will actually be able to support the 32nm CPUs when they hit in January.

Also, if your going to be spending $629 on a video card, get the GTX 295 for like $50 less.

Thats debatable. Considering I highly doubt you have bothered looking at cases, its hard to say that isnt it?

Have you seen this case:

http://modtekusa.com/images/products/origi...en-x-case-1.png

Personally I think it looks just a good as an Alienware. Actually it looks better then most of the current Alienware cases.

As for time, you cant sacrifice an hour or two, even over the course of a few days?

Not true. Maybe for a few rare apps/games, you might but so far I havent found any such instance unless you need to run an old school 16 bit game on Win 7 x64. What M$ doesnt mention is its actually a virtual machine, and not just some built in feature. So if you need such an app I prefer Vmware personally as I couldnt ever get my Virtual PC to boot using the pos M$ virtual pc app(forgot the name).

@ xplorer. I would go with a X58 based build as opposed to a P55 based build for a gaming rig. Those i7 920s (that cost only $199.99 at Microcenter) can hit 4 GHz on air with a little voltage. Some current X58 boards will actually be able to support the 32nm CPUs when they hit in January.

Also, if your going to be spending $629 on a video card, get the GTX 295 for like $50 less.

The 860 outperforms the 720 in every benchmark possible except memory bandwidth, and its cheaper. Unless you really need 6 GB of RAM minimum, I dont see a need for the x58 unless you plan to go for a Core i9 soon. Plus mobo manufactures are already working on p55s to support dual x16 slots vs a 16x and 8x slot.

As for the video card, heres the way i see it:

1)End of life 2)DX10 3)Slower

1)Beginning of Life 2)DX11 3)Faster

So why try to save $50 when your getting all that for $50 more?

The 860 outperforms the 720 in every benchmark possible except memory bandwidth, and its cheaper. Unless you really need 6 GB of RAM minimum, I dont see a need for the x58 unless you plan to go for a Core i9 soon. Plus mobo manufactures are already working on p55s to support dual x16 slots vs a 16x and 8x slot.

As for the video card, heres the way i see it:

1)End of life 2)DX10 3)Slower

1)Beginning of Life 2)DX11 3)Faster

So why try to save $50 when your getting all that for $50 more?

The i7 920 is actually cheaper then the 860. As for RAM, with the i7 920 supporting triple channel memory, I would think 6GB minimum would be used in a gaming rig. Since the motherboards don't support dual 16x PCIe slots, all the more reason you should use X58.

On the GPU, the GTX 295 will still beat a 5970, because it's a dual GPU design. DX11 us nothing to write home about either.

i have seen a lot of custom cases and dont like them as much as Alienware's. although i did like the old cases better, the new ones are still pretty good.

lol the case that billy showed looks more like a red elephant with a HUGE pimple on its forehead.

the one you posted X looks like a total Alienware rip-off to me lol. even though it does look cool its not the one im getting. jeese, when i said Alienwares are the best its my opinion, no one has to flame and troll me about it.

OK Xplorer thats what i needed to know, thanks. im getting 7 Pro on it so i should be good then?