Stan

Windows 7

The i7 920 is actually cheaper then the 860. As for RAM, with the i7 920 supporting triple channel memory, I would think 6GB minimum would be used in a gaming rig. Since the motherboards don't support dual 16x PCIe slots, all the more reason you should use X58.

On the GPU, the GTX 295 will still beat a 5970, because it's a dual GPU design. DX11 us nothing to write home about either.

The 920 is cheaper by about $1. Then look at mobo and ram costs. Then its more expensive.

The mobos will support dual x16. There not out yet but there working on them.

The 5970 IS a dual GPU card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5970#Radeon_HD_5900

The 5970 IS faster:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=625408

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/tag/5970-vs-gt-295/

http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=91801

DX11 may not be the greatest but its the next generation. Everything will be going over to DX11.

i have seen a lot of custom cases and dont like them as much as Alienware's. although i did like the old cases better, the new ones are still pretty good.

lol the case that billy showed looks more like a red elephant with a HUGE pimple on its forehead.

the one you posted X looks like a total Alienware rip-off to me lol. even though it does look cool its not the one im getting. jeese, when i said Alienwares are the best its my opinion, no one has to flame and troll me about it.

OK Xplorer thats what i needed to know, thanks. im getting 7 Pro on it so i should be good then?

I agree, the old alienware cases were much better.

lol it does look like a rip off but a good one.

It wasnt a flame, not in my case atleast. Just trying to convince you to do the best thing, the best reliability, the best performance and so forth for the price.

The 920 is cheaper by about $1. Then look at mobo and ram costs. Then its more expensive.

Microcenter sells the 920 for $199.99. They also sell the 860 for $229.99.

The mobos will support dual x16. There not out yet but there working on them.

The 5970 IS a dual GPU card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5970#Radeon_HD_5900

The 5970 IS faster:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=625408

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/tag/5970-vs-gt-295/

http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=91801

DX11 may not be the greatest but its the next generation. Everything will be going over to DX11.

My bad. I see now.

I agree, the old alienware cases were much better.

lol it does look like a rip off but a good one.

It wasnt a flame, not in my case atleast. Just trying to convince you to do the best thing, the best reliability, the best performance and so forth for the price.

You can actually buy the old Alienware cases.

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c=2...=846328&P=F

well if i ever do build a PC id build the case myself.... in the bonus content DVD from The First Decade they talk about some fan who built a PC case that was the Temple of Nod abut i need some ideas on what to make into a case. it even had all the lights, etc. and then turned it into a PC. that is the best looking PC ive ever seen lol.

i need some ideas. maybe something from Halo?

(if my post reads a lil bad its because Chrome F*cked up just now)

^bad. :P

If you call around you might get a store to ship you one. I know someone who got the Houston store to ship one.

I already have the 860, why would I want to downgrade to a 920? The only advantage I see is the the upgrade path to Core i9s, and right now to little is known about the Corei9s to say much about them. I have high hopes for the i9s but time will tell.

I installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit NL on my desktop pc which I also use for modding and Emergency 4 + LA Mod work great on it. :)

I've noticed EM4 running better on it than Vista, aswell as general system performance being up. I quite like Win 7, something new and rather well done.

Kudos to Microsoft for not making it such a Flop!

It's definately an improvement. Simple programs like Internet Explorer seem to load much faster. I'm not sure if Windows 7 also performs better in heavier tasks like gaming compared to Vista. It will take a while to get used to the new taskbar, although it seems to work pretty good.

The only thing I dislike is the Windows Media Player 12. They removed the taskbar player, but the video player looks much better.

It's definately an improvement. Simple programs like Internet Explorer seem to load much faster. I'm not sure if Windows 7 also performs better in heavier tasks like gaming compared to Vista. It will take a while to get used to the new taskbar, although it seems to work pretty good.

The only thing I dislike is the Windows Media Player 12. They removed the taskbar player, but the video player looks much better.

In terms of benchmarks there is better gaming performance I believe. Nothing worth bragging about, but improvement none the less.

I was p!ssed about the WMP toolbar being gone to, as are many people. Theres tutorials on how to switch it back to WMP11 if you really need it.

@Billy, btw the reason my frequency was under clocked in CPU-Z is the power saving feature in the Corei7 chips I believe.I was able to push this to just under 4Ghz yesterday with just the built in OC Genie. 3.9 was a bit much but I think it can handle about 3.7 or 3.8 with the OC Genie. I may play around and manually OC it a bit here soon and see what I can get out.

In terms of benchmarks there is better gaming performance I believe. Nothing worth bragging about, but improvement none the less.

I was p!ssed about the WMP toolbar being gone to, as are many people. Theres tutorials on how to switch it back to WMP11 if you really need it.

@Billy, btw the reason my frequency was under clocked in CPU-Z is the power saving feature in the Corei7 chips I believe.I was able to push this to just under 4Ghz yesterday with just the built in OC Genie. 3.9 was a bit much but I think it can handle about 3.7 or 3.8 with the OC Genie. I may play around and manually OC it a bit here soon and see what I can get out.

Nice! How much voltage did you have to give it and what kind of CPU cooler do you have?

You know if you want to overclock you'll have to turn all that power saving and overheat protection off. The last thing you want happening is the board lowering the voltage on your overclock.

Well like I said this was simply to test out the OC Genies, which is the built in OC system. Im impressed. I couldnt even do a 5% increase on my POS ASUS P5N-D.

This is the cooler:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7542/cpu...g&mv_pc=141

with the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fan on it. Temps with out an OC at idle are about 28*C on 2 cores and like 32* on the others.

Lol can anyone help me? My Zmodeler2 keeps crashing like every 5 minutes and it's really annoying and it never did on my old XP PC. Is it Windows' fault or am I just stupid and overlooked something?

In Vista it usually helps to disable UAC. But I don't know if win7 has UAC aswell. But if it does you can try disabling it.

In Vista it usually helps to disable UAC. But I don't know if win7 has UAC aswell. But if it does you can try disabling it.

7 does have UAC but its best disabled.

yes i did. its a LOT less buggy than vista

Oh really? What bugs do you/did you have in Vista? Nothing major I bet. Dont listen to the vast majority. Vista has actually become a quite stable os.

I think the problems with Vista stemmed from all the crap that OEMs install on their computers. When I built my computer I originally used Vista (7 wasn't out yet), and I encountered none of the problems or bugs that people have been reporting (although UAC was damn annoying), because I didn't have all the extra crap. I also think Vista got a bad rap due to the bugs it had when it came out. SP1 fixed all of them however. People still heard Vista was buggy and, not knowing SP1 fixed them, stayed with XP.

I also think part of the problem was that Vista (which is more resource hungry than XP), was installed on computers that couldn't handle it. Basically the same computers that were coming with XP, were all of sudden running Vista, and as such they ran slow.

Windows 7 fixed everything wrong with Vista, and today there is no reason why any new computers (even netbooks) should be coming with Windows XP.

Your pretty much right imo Billy, Not to mention the craptatic driver support, atleast on the OEM side. My girls wnic had problems so I went to device manager to remove the driver on her Dell Inspiron. It would search for a driver on the next boot but it would never find a driver. Tried the OEM Driver for the "dell" WNIC which was a re branded Realtek chip if memory serves me right. Neither the OEM driver or the Realtek driver would work. I read this was a widespread issue and found a few bug fixes that has little guarantee of working. Eventually it required a format and clean install using the Dell Recovery Disk.