You can use what ever file format you want! They all work, but PNG, JPEG, BMP etc... files can all be edited easily... DDS 'locks' the file so people have to convert it first but DDS files can only be multiples of 512x512 for example 1024x1024 also works! I do not see the point in DDS files because anyone can still get inside them and edit them.

Hope this helps...

There is a simple purpose behind DDS format, it does not "lock" the file as you say, it in fact is used to compress the file size down, look at a BMP format image file, PNG, and compare it to the DDS format. That is why people opt to use the DDS files, they are much smaller which is a good thing for a mod you intend to distribute.

Xplorer is correct, it compresses the file size further when you "lock" the file, however, you must wait a little bit longer for the game to "unpack" them when it loads the mods as well, so it's a compromise.

puppy's on a scale of 1-10 MS paint ranks to a -20 or so in usefulness regarding skinning... Even a freeware paint application is vastly superior in it's functions compared to MS paint... To do more advanced things, generally speaking you're going to need a higher grade application (PSP or Photoshop).

Hmm. I have a quick question. All the answers helped alot for me and probably for martjuh, but can you make skins in paint?

As mikey said paint sucks but it is possible. You can pick up older versions of Adobe Photoshop, like v 7, for under $100 if i recall correctly.If thats out of your budget, give paint.net a try http://www.getpaint.net/

I personally use photoshop 7. I have tried CS series but I just dont like them as much as 7. The only major advantage of say CS4, is it handles more image formats, and it can even load a 3ds model in 3d. Over all though it just doesnt offer much new to make me want to switch, and thats price aside.

I do not know GIMP, but it might be better to finish the model in your Zmodeler2 first before exporting it to the game.

Maybe post some screenshots of the model in Zmodeler2.

Png, bmp, jpg and dds should all work in Emergency 4 as textures for models.

However, dds has the best compression what might result in a better performance compared to bmp and other formats.

Do not use paint for texturing. If you ever want to be able to make good textures you need to use more professional software.

but if i save the skin as bmp you can look through it

Maybe you saved the bmp including a black alpha channel which makes your model invisible.