w00d

Submod: New Freeplay map v1.2 Released!

With vehicles I think there is something in the editor that allows you specify if they were 'enterable' - Im not sure if that's what you're looking for, but do recall seeing it. Also, every day I check this forum HOPING that someone will fix the pathing issues with this thing and 1.8.

So I tried to add vehicles to the map through the editor, like putting a few units at the airport and by the bay, but when i go to use them in freeplay, they cant move and persons cant get in but just get equipment..help?? and how do you edit the paths?

You need to give the vehicle a name in the propreties screen. That name has to correspond with a name in the entercar.script script. That will enable your people to get inside the vehicles. You also need to add commands to the vehicle like move and exit vehicle etc. To make the vehcile able to move. You can also do that in the propreties screen I believe.

greetz,

so what name should it be, like if im adding the brush truck?

Any name that is mentioned in the entercar script. If you open the script you'll see these lines of text

VT_FIREFIGHTERS_RW

you can use that one.

If that doens't work you can also try inputting

BRUSH_TRUCK

as the unit name. I'm not sure which of the two is used to set the standard. But one of the two should do the trick.

greetz,

Hmm, I've got a few questions about this map, and I need help too.

1.) Why are the stations so far away?

Theoretically speaking I've always assumed station 1 would be the busiest compared to station 2. In the standard mod 90% of all personal come from station 1, unless its hazmat, or outside of town then E1 or BLS1 responds. With that said why is station 1 in the corner of this map, and station 2 almost in the middle with a HUGE section not covered. What if there's a fire in the lower corner of the map? Yeah, I can send more units but if I can arrive quickly I don't need to tie extra pieces up. I know no one can fix this, just curious though.

2.) Routes? Whats with the units they don't respond.

Maybe its me, but normally I give the battalion chief hotkey 1. Then when there's a fire or emergency I have him respond the units. Well ... when I do this the units turn there lights on and set there in the station. I mean I can click dead in the center of the road and my units wont move. I have to manually move them my self, and ever now and then my ladder gets stuck in the station. Its nothing major but for code 3's or a box alarm you need your equipment to move not just set their. So, is there a way to fix this? If so how (give me directions).

Thank You

The answer to number one is because in real life the stations are not always placed peferctly cover the area and the answer to number two is you need to connect the paths and roads.

Guest tjhugentobler
To fix your "lag problems" go in the editor and make sure all of the paths and streets are connected or not obstructed. I did that and I get an almost instant response.

How do I do this? Please help! Thanks :)

How do I do this? Please help! Thanks :)

Hi tjhugentobler,

If you have had any experience with the EM4 Editor it should not be difficult, but I will give you a quick run through how to do it.

After loading the Editor, select the modification tab (across the top of screen - the last option before the question mark)

Select the mod version that you wish to fix. Say yes when ask if you want to switch mods.

It may take some time to load (no the screen has not locked up)

Now on the top bar select the Map tab (between Tools and Edit) and choose load map. Do you want to save this map first, select no.

Now a box will appear showing the directory. Select the maps option and it will open to show you the available maps to edit.

Select freeplay.e4m (there will be 2 in the list, you can select either, it does not matter) and either double click mouse of select OK with map highlighted.

Once again it will take a while to laod so be patient.

You should now see w00d's map on screen. Now comes the fun part (it can be a bit tedious at times but stick with it).

Select the edit tab across the top of the screen (between the Map and Scripts) and choose Streets from the drop down list.

Now on the map you should see a series of lines on the map (mostly you should see 2 blue/green lines with a red one down the middle

(this signifies your street path). You will also notice a box appeared on screen titled "Street editor" - this becomes important later.

Now for the tedious part. Start at FireStation 1 (as this has a number of paths to fix), otherwise start where ever you want.

Comng out of the driveway of Station 1, you will see a number of paths. If you zoom your screen in and look closely, you will see that many of those paths do not quite connect to the street path running outside the station

( I make sure that the red line connects with the red line of the next path in the sequence).

Now go to the "Street editor" box (unfortunately all paths are un named, so this is the tedious part - others may know a better way).

Select the first unnamed object in the list the go through the list of unnamed objects until one that you selected highlights the path that you need to adjust.

Whilst the path is highlights, select the end of the path that needs to be adjusted and drag it so that it actually connects with the next path.

Now you need to go around the entire map and look closely for other paths that do not quite connect and follow the same process.

Once you have finished you need to select the Map tab across the top and choose to save map.

Select the freeplay.e4m file from the list of options (either on of the 2 seen in the list, or if you like you can save to both).

Now you can quit the editor and your good to go.

Start the game for a test run.

It's a hell of a way to improve response times ! - If only it were that easy in real life! :juggle:

Hope this helps

Thanks Shane!

That actually wasn't too bad, and it did help a bit - Even though I only did a few paths around the stations and hospital. It seems like they are really bad though, those paths. Even walking paths seem to be messed up - How do you fix those? Also, can you 'add additional' red vehicle paths? If so, do you just do that by clicking the 'new" button on the unnamed area?

The answer to number one is because in real life the stations are not always placed peferctly cover the area and the answer to number two is you need to connect the paths and roads.

Indeed, in real life the stations aren't always placed in a perfect area. However, in their current placement their not even positioned like they would in real life anyway. You don't find a hospital, fire station, and coast coard base right next to each other. Granted there's a few blocks in between but it's still wrong. Not to mention the whole bottom half of the map is left unprotected where stations should be. Currently its like being on a military base, everythings in a 10 x 10 block ratios, thus nullying your reply.

Hi tjhugentobler,

If you have had any experience with the EM4 Editor it should not be difficult, but I will give you a quick run through how to do it.

After loading the Editor, select the modification tab (across the top of screen - the last option before the question mark)

Select the mod version that you wish to fix. Say yes when ask if you want to switch mods.

It may take some time to load (no the screen has not locked up)

Now on the top bar select the Map tab (between Tools and Edit) and choose load map. Do you want to save this map first, select no.

Now a box will appear showing the directory. Select the maps option and it will open to show you the available maps to edit.

Select freeplay.e4m (there will be 2 in the list, you can select either, it does not matter) and either double click mouse of select OK with map highlighted.

Once again it will take a while to laod so be patient.

You should now see w00d's map on screen. Now comes the fun part (it can be a bit tedious at times but stick with it).

Select the edit tab across the top of the screen (between the Map and Scripts) and choose Streets from the drop down list.

Now on the map you should see a series of lines on the map (mostly you should see 2 blue/green lines with a red one down the middle

(this signifies your street path). You will also notice a box appeared on screen titled "Street editor" - this becomes important later.

Now for the tedious part. Start at FireStation 1 (as this has a number of paths to fix), otherwise start where ever you want.

Comng out of the driveway of Station 1, you will see a number of paths. If you zoom your screen in and look closely, you will see that many of those paths do not quite connect to the street path running outside the station

( I make sure that the red line connects with the red line of the next path in the sequence).

Now go to the "Street editor" box (unfortunately all paths are un named, so this is the tedious part - others may know a better way).

Select the first unnamed object in the list the go through the list of unnamed objects until one that you selected highlights the path that you need to adjust.

Whilst the path is highlights, select the end of the path that needs to be adjusted and drag it so that it actually connects with the next path.

Now you need to go around the entire map and look closely for other paths that do not quite connect and follow the same process.

Once you have finished you need to select the Map tab across the top and choose to save map.

Select the freeplay.e4m file from the list of options (either on of the 2 seen in the list, or if you like you can save to both).

Now you can quit the editor and your good to go.

Start the game for a test run.

It's a hell of a way to improve response times ! - If only it were that easy in real life! :juggle:

Hope this helps

I tried that but it was hard. I didn't want to delete routes, yet it was exteremly difficult to get routes to connect exactly. It is possible for people with corrected maps to upload them?

Thanks Shane!

That actually wasn't too bad, and it did help a bit - Even though I only did a few paths around the stations and hospital. It seems like they are really bad though, those paths. Even walking paths seem to be messed up - How do you fix those? Also, can you 'add additional' red vehicle paths? If so, do you just do that by clicking the 'new" button on the unnamed area?

Indeed it does help, and thanks Tactics. Your download didn't work again, not sure why. However, I goofed around with my computer and figured it out. Not sure about my map I fixed spots around station 1, 2, the hospital, and a few other places. So far so good.

21-10-2008 - Accident bug Fixed

Well the major bug that caused the problem that there are no accidents is fixed. I took me a few houres to discover the cause of it, but it is ok now.

I will release the map again as soon as posible. Need to fix a few minor bugs and make a install guide.

I experienced this bug in 911 last night. It was on a bridge in the southern area of the city.

EDIT: Never mind the car is submerged under water. I just didnt see it the first time.

For the most part the map works fine for me. The only problems i have are usually the parking lot by the airport. A car tries to park in a spot thats taken. This causes a massive traffic jam and most the vehicles will not respond to my officers redirect command. Also at the roundabout which is about a block west of the hospital, a green semi always seems to get stuck causing a traffic jam. And on rare occasions the construction zone in the forest area on the western part of the map has been known to cause major traffic jams.

Is there a good tut or can some one provide a fix for these areas?