Hoppah

[EM4] Central suggestions/ideas topic (CLOSED)

besides, the BTR APC is Cold War era crap - totally outdated anyway.

Yes I agree.... Unless we are playing... Operation Flashpoint? I love that game! lol :P

Only time when soviet gear is in the US? When the Military researching it or blowing it up in the test range.

1. What is the point of more busy traffic? Cars don't move to the side of the road and I can't and won't script that. It would only add alot of frustation.

Yet still, it would not be more frustrating than lord_bonev's bad grammar ^^.

lord_bonev: I acually think writing what you intended to say in russian, then putting it through the russian->english translator @ translate.google.com, would be more understandable than what you ended up with in your posts lol.

And yeah, unless someone comes up with a way to drasticly change the way vehicles react to sirens (and how emergency vehicles react to stopped vehicles), adding more traffic will only add to the frustration of the game. Having firetrucks driving around the block after having driven back and forth on a small piece of road for 5 minutes, because two civilian cars stopped at the same place, is just plainly annoying. Like many other games featuring emergency vehicles, the traffic need to be scripted to get out of the way, rather than just stopping.

Unfortunatly, it would take alot of work to make this happen in EM4, if its possible at all. Hopefully, EM5 will feature traffic like that, if thats ever released.

Guest Dacop
lord_bonev: I acually think writing what you intended to say in russian, then putting it through the russian->english translator @ translate.google.com, would be more understandable than what you ended up with in your posts

That is what he's been doing. Certain words left untranslated and the complete lack of correct grammar are telltale signs.

Guest MonkeySquasher

Ok.. I've been a long-time lurker here, recently new poster. I used to mod other games, but never ones that required this much scripting. Trying to figure it out, and willing to learn if you want some help. =)

Here are some of the ideas/suggestions I've come across, mostly to tweak gameplay. Honestly, I find no reason for any new units just for the sake of having them. Mike is right, people... Ask yourself if it would actually affect gameplay or not. If not, the scripters probably won't waste time on it.

I understand that some of these are very time consuming or neigh impossible, but I still listed them. Some, even many have already been mentioned, I just thought I'd show support for them. Doesn't mean I expect them. You guys have lives too. =)

--------------------------------------------

Tweak the fire values if you can. Less flammable trees/fences/benches, building fires take longer to put out.

More cars/people. I understand about the problem with traffic not pulling over, so more traffic = more hassle.

Police/hospital buildings. Get them to work in multiplayer, if possible. Don't need to CALL units from them, but having them for dropping patients/crooks off would be nice. I know it takes forever, and may mess up game play, so I wouldnt be surprised if it's never done. Doesnt mean I cant wish. haha

Fire substation, or atleast have the fire/hospital more centrally located. Add Public works building with parking lot (like the PD in EM3.. Just a parking lot they can be called from/return to. Tow trucks, engineer, crane, dozer.)

Change the trailer to please people. Add a way to reset it in the parking space. Make it able to deploy a HAZMAT tent (LA has HAZMAT trailers, don't they? I know they're all over the rest of the US), that kills two birds with one stone. Pulled by an LEV. Maybe even add a code so the firefighters can switch into SCBA/HAZMAT suits from the trailer?

Perhaps switch out the ambulance bays in the fire house for a LEV? OR put a tutorial .txt in the mod documents to walk people through it so they can customize it on their own and leave you alone. haha

Make better patrol routes. Maybe zones? Or make their pathfinding for patrols random, and they choose a random direction at each intersection? I hate having a line of police/EMS just trailing around the city. haha

Make ambulances/police auto-patrol after dropping people off. Right now, PD cars just sit there, and ambulances go back to the station. I'd like them to just keep patrolling. Less micro-managing. haha

Make patrolling units pull over for emergency vehicles with lights, if possible. I thought of this before I read about the complexity of it, so I understand it's on a wishlist until EM5 and the game designers fix it. lol

Dispatch tones, no video of emergency. Basically, you can make more emergencies, write the text for it, and forget the videos. Add a dispatch tone would be cool, too (a la EM3)

Make it so police can call tow trucks from the public works area.

Police transport bus. Bring it back plz? It was fantastic. haha

Missions I think adding would be cool -

LA Riots (demonstrations and assualts, just multiple places on the map)

North Hollywood shootout (Just make one of the banks look like that bank, and have two guys with M4s. Like a normal bank robbery, except their values are set to ALWAYS resist the police and be violent)

More accidents/MVAs/etc

Ability for players to start fires/cause accidents

False fire alarms. Maybe make a utility box on building, and only a firefighter can “use” or “deactivate” it to stop the alarm.

Victims in burning buildings

That's many good ideas. I like most of them, but I guess some of them are impossible to scrpit. I like all the mission ideas, the one with the North Hollywood shootout have been discussed before, I don't see why it is impossible since there was a mission like that in EM3 (Im not being rude or anything). Very good ideas overall. :)

There is no mission like that shootout. Have fun scripting automatic weapons for terrorists.

I meant a mission like that bank robbery in EM3, not a shootout. I know it takes a lot of time and effort into making missions and I admire your work Hoppah don't get me wrong.

Guest tower47

Well I keep noticing that sometimes when you dispatch fire vechicles, that sometimes they will be short people or have no one in them at all. So i go back to the fire station and I see the guy(s) just standing there. So is there anyway you can fix that so they all can get in?

Good idea, but I have never seen any modern LAPD or LASD transport bus/van for detainees pictures. Maybe I've missed them, but I have seen alot of older pics of the type of vehicles, but I'm only going to add modern and realistic vehicles to the mod. I don't want a big prison bus again, a van for detainees would be better.

I know some large American city use Paddy wagons.

An example of a Boston one is the second picture on this page http://www.emtbravophotos.com/PhotoHunt/111707.html

I am not sure if they using them or not in for the LAPD.

I found this on there site http://www.lapd.com/article.aspx?&a=2487

Mike do you know if LAPD or anyone in the LA area use a Paddy wagon?

I know some large American city use Paddy wagons.

An example of a Boston one is the second picture on this page http://www.emtbravophotos.com/PhotoHunt/111707.html

I am not sure if they using them or not in for the LAPD.

I found this on there site http://www.lapd.com/article.aspx?&a=2487

Mike do you know if LAPD or anyone in the LA area use a Paddy wagon?

I saw when i was watching the EM3 LA Mod video that there was a paddy wagon.

Good idea, but I have never seen any modern LAPD or LASD transport bus/van for detainees pictures. Maybe I've missed them, but I have seen alot of older pics of the type of vehicles, but I'm only going to add modern and realistic vehicles to the mod. I don't want a big prison bus again, a van for detainees would be better.

Hoppah, Don't know if you know about it's existence, But the LASD has a prisoner transport unit, That actually looks a bit like some vehicles you made: http://www.code2high.com/LASD/lasd_prisoner_1.jpg

Gino

Guest MonkeySquasher

I used to mod/make missions for Starcraft and Age of Empires. Considerably easier than EM4, since most of it was just editing the maps, adding units, and then some light scripting/triggers. Damn them, they made this game so much more involved when it came to mods and new missions! lol

OH! I forgot to add.. The missions I listed, I mostly meant those for freeplay Endless/Challenge games, not new stand-alone missions. Just kinda thrown on the freeplayer map for more to do. haha

Hi and welcome to the forum. What other games have you modded?

Each object has a material. Thoses materials are saved in a file called materials.xml and can be found in the Emergency 4/Data/Specs folder.

I've tried adding the file to the mod and adding more materials but they aren't reconized by the game. Maybe I can tweak values are something, but that should be tested.

I agree there the streets are too empty, but some people want traffic stops at every traffic light. I can increase the traffic a little bit, but it won't be anything noticeable.

Finally, someone who agrees the fire station won't work in multiplayer! Yes, the police station and hospital can be added, but require alot of testing. Maybe something for future versions. I don't know yet.

Haha, I am not going to move the fire station to a more central position. A second fire station would only be used for other vehicles than the ones which can be parked in the primary fire station.

The trailer isn't something that can be edited easily. As you have probably find out it doesn't have any physics to make it impossible to collide it with other objects (-> caused crashes)

That would give some problems. Because in v1.6 I've edited the fire station scripts again. People need to manually edit the scripts again and that's not my problem. A tutorial would be great, but too many people want different things. For example: 3 ambulances can be parked in the fire station. That means there are 3 virtual objects inside the station which have the exact same size of the ambulances. Those virtual objects are used to check if the spot in the fire station is empty or full and to locate the position to drive too. IF someone wants to replace the ambulance with a much bigger car he needs to change the whole script and the virtual objects in the editor. Too much work to explain.

That would give problems too. IF it was possible the patrol cars would make weird patrols. Random pathfinding doesn't exist in Emergency 4 and I don't know a way to simulate that.

I am almost certain patrol cars and ambulances go on patrol if the fire station or the police station parking lot are full. I am not going to change that. I like the way ambulances try to go the fire station first automaticly.

That would require the same scripting as a pursuit/follow script for the patrol cars, because the need to go to a moving object.

I can't replace video's with sound files. The only thing I can do is making a default video (picture of radio), copying it and add the dispatch tones + voices as the videos audio. Biggest problem, I need someone to make more than 40 dispatch tones which must be understandable.

There is no public works area and tow trucks don't have a big role in the game.

Missions are hard and require a huge amount of time. If I had the time I would make like 50 new missions. Ideas are almost endless, I just don't have the time to do it.

There is no mission like that shootout. Have fun scripting automatic weapons for terrorists.

Aww.. you didn't quote my suggestion :( i thought it was quite good and easily scriptable :(

The Prisoner bus while realistic is quite honestly, too big considering how many other chubby vehicles are already in the mod as it is.. Unfortunately, I don't know if LA uses smaller vans or mini-buses, perhaps they would be worth doing but the big bus is just too big for my tastes...

What about the LASD prison bus in the movie "SWAT" ? =D

Sorry but a fucking prisoner bus is too fucking big

Movies are fictional. That bus is probably made up for this movie too.

So I am not going to add this until I have proof the LASD has the same bus in real life too. :)

I've already looked at it and quite honestly, it is at least as long as a bluebird bus, if not longer. Yes it could be shortened up but the whole deal in the LA Mod is to be as authentic as possible, so ideally we're looking for some type of prisoner transport that is fairly close to the size of an ambulance or a club wagon for example..

Guest blablaman

i have a idea for the FBI and for the LAPD

In the winterberg mod have they policeman in normale clothing.

can you make them to for the FBI with a option to take on:

fbi_agent.jpg or fbi_agent_tac.jpg

and is it possible to make a police line?? "police line do not cross"

greets

The plain clothes is kind of what the windbreaker (FBI Jacket) is for..... The Police Line Do Not Cross Tape is not currently possible unfortunately, since it is dynamic I don't think there is a way to make something off the ground that has collision data since there isnt anything to attatch it to. The only thing comprable is a fire hose and cars and people just run it over.

LAPD carries handgun as we know, but they also have shotguns in they're cars. I know it's a lot of work to mod and stuff but it would be nice to have a shotgun that all police officer could get from they're car like the MP5. You may ask what is the point in it since the handgun already are in the game. Well, it brings realism, and it is more deadly than the handgun. So what do you think?