WildcatsMike

PC shut off on it's own, low power?

Hey guys,

So I recently upgraded my GPU to a GTX 760. I've played about 5 seconds of game time total.

Reason being is I got into game, loaded up my save file of Simcity 2013 (Running at Max Settings, 1440x900), and POP! My whole PC lost power.

The minimum requirement for a GTX 760 is 500w, which is what I have. At least, that's what it SAYS to have.

Could the problem be caused by an incapable power supply? Or is it the GTX 760 being too power hungry?

I read on another site that the PC can sometimes automatically shut down if the GPU gets too hot. But 5 seconds? That can't be right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Probably gonna end up getting a new PSU if this continues. 

Quick google search returns a minimum 550 watts for GTX 760. I can go ahead and tell you 500 is not enough. I run a 480 with a 750 watt PSU. Remember your GPU is not the only thing sucking power from your PSU. Granted it takes the most, but you need to account for all your other equipment. I would recommend upgrading to a 750 or 800w.

If you video card needs 500watts then you need a powerfully with more then that. How much more depends on a number of factors such as how many hard drives and there requirements, how many optical drives basically almost anything in your computer needs power that all has to be add together. And your powersupplly needs to be able to handle that. If your not sure get a bigger supply then what your need.

What I normal do when building a computer I take me biggest load item (9 time out 10) it the video card and get a power supply with double the capacity of the card. So if you need 550w for video card get a 1100 w one.

Quick google search returns a minimum 550 watts for GTX 760. I can go ahead and tell you 500 is not enough. I run a 480 with a 750 watt PSU. Remember your GPU is not the only thing sucking power from your PSU. Granted it takes the most, but you need to account for all your other equipment. I would recommend upgrading to a 750 or 800w.

Really? I looked at the requirements when I purchased, it said 500. Plus, i've seen people with 500w overlock their cards and be just fine.

If you video card needs 500watts then you need a powerfully with more then that. How much more depends on a number of factors such as how many hard drives and there requirements, how many optical drives basically almost anything in your computer needs power that all has to be add together. And your powersupplly needs to be able to handle that. If your not sure get a bigger supply then what your need.

What I normal do when building a computer I take me biggest load item (9 time out 10) it the video card and get a power supply with double the capacity of the card. So if you need 550w for video card get a 1100 w one.

Ok, will look into getting a lot more power. Thanks!

I have to agree, you need at least 600, but I'd recommend springing for 1000 or 1100 if you can. The extra power is worth it

Ok, thanks!

A thing to take note of when choosing a PSU is that their output diminishes over time...due to capacitor aging. While you may barely squeak by within the limit at some point your output will fall below the minimum.

I'd recommend springing for 1000 or 1100 if you can. The extra power is worth it

I respectfully disagree. A 1000W + PSU seems a bit overkill. Sure it's nice to have headroom for future expansion but unless he plans on running liquid cooling and a 2-way SLI 1000W is not really worth the extra cost.

I've found that 850W is a pretty solid option unless you want to stack multiple graphics cards. 850W gives you all the power you need and some head room for future expansion. Newer graphics cards are way more power efficient so I don't think it too outrageous to claim that an 850W GPU is capable of a SLI setup if that's something that interests you.

I'd say a 750W would be a good start for you in a singe GPU set-up.

A thing to take note of when choosing a PSU is that their output diminishes over time...due to capacitor aging. While you may barely squeak by within the limit at some point your output will fall below the minimum.

I respectfully disagree. A 1000W + PSU seems a bit overkill. Sure it's nice to have headroom for future expansion but unless he plans on running liquid cooling and a 2-way SLI 1000W is not really worth the extra cost.

I've found that 850W is a pretty solid option unless you want to stack multiple graphics cards. 850W gives you all the power you need and some head room for future expansion. Newer graphics cards are way more power efficient so I don't think it too outrageous to claim that an 850W GPU is capable of a SLI setup if that's something that interests you.

I'd say a 750W would be a good start for you in a singe GPU set-up.

See that depends.

Number of drives both mechanical and ssd. There power requirements.

What if he decides to throw a few ssd I'm the future in raid 0 configuration for fastest boot and read times.

Also depends on the number of optical drives.

And what else may be installed in the pc.

Lastly buying a good 1100watt one know means not worrying about the power supply for many years. Requardless of upgrades placed in the system.

Also let jot forget fans require power as well. There two ways to do this.

Find out the power rating of the every item in the pc and it load requirement then add that up and makes sure to have extra capacity to add additional items. But make sure to add to your calculation before buying them.

Or go twice your max load and know unless your going to ski you video card you be hard pressed to every go over the limit for that pc.

That the model I hem using for 20 some years and the only time I look a new power supply is if the new video card I am buying needs more power. The I get a new powersupplly and move that one to pc that getting the older video card

My issue with getting an 1000+w is that I don't have the money for a reliable one. If I found one, it would probably explode after about 2 minutes.

Found an 850w for around $90, and people say they had issues with it to start with, but once they solved the issues it works well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182314&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817182314&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiAlb6lBRCBw4jC-bb3uykSJAB55Ti9GHLoh39dRYBwiuBKXU92FKd916tj31D-LX_OJbpDIBoCIpPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Worth it or no? Trying to keep under $100 USD.

850 sounds more than adequate. If need be I wouldn't see a problem with going to 800 or even 750. Buy a reputable brand. Cheapo power supplies can potentially take out other components when they fail...so be careful.

A good place to find reviews and recommendations for power supplies:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Recently discovered that a few months ago when picking out a new PSU.

I have to agree with Chris, going with a reliable reviewed 800 ish range should cover your hardware, while the 1000+ is nice for "upgrades at a later date" what people must realize is not everyone has the money to pony up for the heavy-hitter gear, so you should always explain what they NEED vs what would be your choice.  Then, explain the differences between the two, both good and bad.  I am sure I am not the only one who's bought equipment that has crapped out after a little over a year (just long enough to make any manuf warranty completely useless).. On those instances paying MORE for what should've been the better gear to just have it die on ya don't feel so great, especially when money is tight to begin with.

Practicality says you should go for a 800 supply, below that depending on how many devices you have feeding off of it you still may not be pumping out enough power to handle it all. 800 should be able to handle most people's normal rigs without issues.