JimmyKid

When you hear America(n), what do you think?

Well, I think of it this way. If a certain special forces team didn't kill a certain terrorist, what could happen? Who supplied 575,000 troops in the Gulf War?

Not trying to be self-centered, but without the US, what would the world be like?

Who met with aliens at Area 51? :loldev:

A much more peacful world after all you must of done something right to piss off osama, remember you wouldn't have had to kill him if you hadn't of pissed him off in the first place. And as for the gulf war, you really think it was to stop kuwait being invaded! Everyone knows (apart from Americans like yourself) that the 1st and 2nd gulf war was and always will be about oil.

Read the comment. I didn't say we specifically invented the internet as we now know it. I know that the World Wide Web was invented at CERN. What I said was the first ancestor of the internet. The first networks/data transfers happened decades before the World Wide Web was even thought of and it was in American universities and research facilities.

Might I also ask from which part of the deepest fathoms of your posterior did you pull that ridiculous 'statistic' out of? 9 out of 10 inventions are rip offs from other countries? Really now? Find support for that statement. I dare you. The fact is, and no one can deny it, without the technological innovation and driving force of America and other countries like even Nazi Germany (No, I'm not saying I support them. I'm saying they were decades ahead of any other country at the time), you would not be living life as you do now.

http://www.mainstree...pple-steve-jobs

http://www.realclear...ut_america.html

http://www.noozhawk....ithout_america/

Those are all American right there. While I agree America has fallen off the top in recent years, name one other country that has influenced the world so much in such a small time span.

I for one plan to continue our technological drives by earning a BS in both Physics and Alternative Energy Chemistry as well as Masters and Ph. D's in Astrophysics and Astronomy (and possibly an alternative to one being Cosmology), not to mention having a strong structural engineering/architectural background to go along with those.

Haha Steve Jobs, great invention there. The only thing he invented was how to make millions of gullible people part with their money twice or more a year by releasing the same product but in a different casing.

http://uncyclopedia...._Did_Not_Invent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

does the flag remind you of something lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company

Haha Steve Jobs, great invention there. The only thing he invented was how to make millions of gullible people part with their money twice or more a year by releasing the same product but in a different casing.

Amen.

Not to mention the thousands of Chinese workers who endure terrible working conditions to crap out all those different iterations of stuff that we basically didn't need or even know about 2 years ago.

A much more peacful world after all you must of done something right to piss off osama, remember you wouldn't have had to kill him if you hadn't of pissed him off in the first place. And as for the gulf war, you really think it was to stop kuwait being invaded! Everyone knows (apart from Americans like yourself) that the 1st and 2nd gulf war was and always will be about oil.

Yeah, Oil....... :ph34r:

Every war is about resources or hatred that has been going on for thousands of years. It will never change and the world will never be at peace, its just the facts of life.

Seriously, it's people like you that make me with humanity was wiped off the face of... everything, really. That kind of attitude is what gets the world into situations like the one it's in now. Humanity must realize that to continue to survive and strive as a species, we have to put aside petty differences and work together to solve problems. Many of the biggest problems in the world today could be solved if everyone would just STFU and work together to fix them. Not bitch about their own petty quandaries.

Now on to Steve Jobs. Apple might be a money whoring company, but again, in a capitalist world, what company isn't. But Steve Jobs changed the concept of not only the Personal Computer, but also the Personal Music Player and many, many other things. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/technology/1110/gallery.how_steve_jobs_changed_the_world.fortune/index.html

You have a sad, sad, argument if you quote Uncyclopedia for information. Don't you get that that site is a parody of Wikipedia, and people say whatever the hell floats their boat? It is a biased, extremely untruthful site, unlike Wikipedia which at least upholds standards of objectiveness and references for content. It is not a site to cite.

Also, seeing the pictures of the historical flags of the East India Company, their flag didn't even look similar to ours until well in the 19th century, decades after our flag had been established. The earliest form of the true American flag, not including the Grand Union flag, go back to the late 1770s. The first design of the East India Company that looks similar, though based on the design of the Grand Union Flag (when the US was still a colonial republic of the United Kingdom) wasn't even in widespread use until after that time.

Man, the Off-Topic section really needs to have a Debate Sub-forum, where you can start topics to discuss and debate... topics. A bit like Philosophy class at school.

Well, I think of it this way. If a certain special forces team didn't kill a certain terrorist, what could happen? Who supplied 575,000 troops in the Gulf War?

Not trying to be self-centered, but without the US, what would the world be like?

That's the attitude that makes the US not the best seen country worldwide...

Man, the Off-Topic section really needs to have a Debate Sub-forum, where you can start topics to discuss and debate... topics. A bit like Philosophy class at school.

I'm pretty sure the suggestion came up ages ago, but was rejected because it would boil down to hurtful feelings and insults and not a proper debate - pretty much what's just happened.

Are you kidding me???!!!! Philosophy???? I've enought with the philosophy at the school, I think one of the most stupid subjects, you've to lose time for studing other subjects in wich you need to study more, studing stupid non sense questions about "who we are" where do come" "what's our purpose here" and "is the reality real or is it a dream", and when they ask your opinion saying just what the teacher wants to hear and not what you really think for approve it.

About what hunter42 has said, I think this topic has also potential to become a full of insults and hurtful feelings thread.

I'm pretty sure the suggestion came up ages ago, but was rejected because it would boil down to hurtful feelings and insults and not a proper debate - pretty much what's just happened.

Hmmm... well of course, there's always a chance in any context that someone will voice a debatable opinion, and someone else take offense in something that isn't really offensive in the end. The thing is, when you get in a debate on the Internet, you have to leave your feelings at the door, and agree that someone else may be thinking the complete opposite of what you are thinking.

With that said, I don't think this topic has gone sour yet - otherwise I would have closed it. I must have missed the "insults" you mentioned. I just see different perceptions of the US, depending on the origins of the people who are voicing them. In light of what I mentioned above, no, there's no way people are forced to praise or even like the US. That's what a debate is about.

Whoever wants a place where there's only praise given to the US and no opinions to the contrary, I kindly suggest Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and the FOX News crowd. True patriots who go to great lengths to promote a positive image of the US abroad. ;)

In response to the Steve Jobs stuff... Remember this:

807-e1319559795303.png

That being said, I think of America as this:

A country falling to Neo-liberal ideals, letting the corporations take over, living in a fear filled world. Are many other countries better? No. But I just hear about it in America more, as I can't seem to escape (everything in english has one american somewhere)

I think this country is filled with jingoistic, ignorant, jackasses that do nothing but make us look bad. In fact, I think this group of people makes up a lot of this country, which is unfortunate, and it's also why we elect officials that do nothing but warmonger and shit all over the constitution which was established by the founding fathers which would scoff at the United States that I live in today. However, I think those same people that say, "AMERICA IS NUMBER 1 AWW YEAHHH" are right. We have an empire that spans the globe right now, we could destroy the world several times over with our nuclear weapons, and we have the highest GDP of any country in the world. We are the number 1 superpower, no question about it, China has a ways to go and many hurdles to make before they are at our level.

However, our country has some things that are very wrong with it and Europeans aren't wrong for calling us out on a lot of things. To be honest Ami, you are epitomizing the very ignorance you condemn. Well done.

I cannot agree that America is number 1, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Canadian, in fact, the only reason I say this is because of the oppressive, and crazy ideals that this country promotes, or in some cases, legalizes. Sure, America may have the power to destroy the world theoretically, but realistically, so do many other countries (Russia has thousands more than America, unless it's hiding some, which is a war crime)

I think though before America can be considered the top of the world, you've gotta work on the human rights, before working on the military. Countries, to be powerful should focus on their people, who will then willingly fight for their country, as opposed to fighting against it. Realistically, I'd say about half of Americans would fight against their country if they had to choose, and would be equipped fairly regardless of side. You need to remember that there is horrid inequality, as well as crazy government laws, such as the defense authorization act, or even things like the possibility of SOPA. Did I mention there is a bill on hold in some states that would make killing abortion providers justifiable homicide? Even the most basic things, like healthcare, are something that is industrialized, and made for profit, and there is a pushing fear of it becoming socialized, as it would make it unamerican (like police and fire departments, very commie).

Yes there are many problems, no America is not the worst. There is still leaps and bounds before I will consider America a great country, but it's not too bad yet.. Now if SOPA passes, or that abortion bill comes forward, or the crazy neo-religious dude running for the nomination gets it, that's when I'll outwardly preach that America is one of the worst places in the world to live.

When i hear the word America. I'm thinking about crazy people spending alot on Computers mods/parts or other things for it. Also i see big houses with rich people and big SUV's. Also i think everywhere in America you would hear sirens about 5 times in a day.

Well i know this isnt true. But this how i think about it :)

usmc123... You really know how to sell your country don't you! I mean you start off well and then comes the america are number 1 at this at that and at everything else, and the comment raised about destroying the world seven times over, is true in the sense that I believe america will destroy earth as their attitude, is shoot first ask questions later.

Your marines or army have been in the news recently for pissing on the dead bodies of taliban soldiers.

And you really have to ask why the world rolls their eyes back when they here america is the best!

Fair enough killing them if they were trying to kill you but desecrating their bodies ain't gonna do any favours for america. With that picture your country has given the taliban another reason why they will not surrender and have made it their mission to destroy your country.

America seems to actively seek out trouble...Not one decade since the 50's has america not been involved in some war or conflict. These wars have nothing to do with invasion of your own country but simply to throw your weight around and in a few cases you went running with your tail between your legs.

I think this country is filled with jingoistic, ignorant, jackasses that do nothing but make us look bad. In fact, I think this group of people makes up a lot of this country, which is unfortunate, and it's also why we elect officials that do nothing but warmonger and shit all over the constitution which was established by the founding fathers which would scoff at the United States that I live in today. However, I think those same people that say, "AMERICA IS NUMBER 1 AWW YEAHHH" are right. We have an empire that spans the globe right now, we could destroy the world several times over with our nuclear weapons, and we have the highest GDP of any country in the world. We are the number 1 superpower, no question about it, China has a ways to go and many hurdles to make before they are at our level.

However, our country has some things that are very wrong with it and Europeans aren't wrong for calling us out on a lot of things. To be honest Ami, you are epitomizing the very ignorance you condemn. Well done.

Yes, one of the country's with the highest GDP and with the highest governemt debt.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

And just take a look at the things I made bold. So you call the U.S. number 1 because they can destroy the world with nuclear weapons? yeah, sure...

When i hear the word America. I'm thinking about crazy people spending alot on Computers mods/parts or other things for it.

Funny, when I think about that, I usually think about Korea. Also, spending 48 straight hours playing World of Warcraft until you die.

Funny, when I think about that, I usually think about Korea. Also, spending 48 straight hours playing World of Warcraft until you die.

Thats true but you must be completly insane to do 48 hours playing WoW 0,o. After about 2 hours playing Battlefield 3 i already get bored. Well nothing for me 48 hours of gaming. Give me honenstly my own bed. I will be having fun with that too.