cops

question for the smart people here...

What's the different between

Paramedic [is on the ambulance]

EMT [ is Emergency Medical Trained??, I don't know how they response]

EMS [Emergency Medical Service, Like ambulance Fire Department?]

I always wonder what the difference is between this 3 thing...

EMS (Emergency Medical Services) refers to any emergency service that provides medical care.

EMT stands for Emergency Medical Technician, and EMTs are less trained than paramedics so aren't allowed to do as much. For example, a paramedic can provide more drugs than an EMT can, a paramedic can intubate someone, or give drugs intravenously, whereas an EMT couldn't.

Basically a paramedic is an advanced EMT, they have more training and provide more advanced medical care.

Some areas have emts and paramedics on the same ambulance. The emt usally drives and a paramedic is in the back. Some areas run with three so two people and in back, one driving. There are also different levels of emts. EMT-B are basic emts, some can start IVs without paramedic presence if approved by ems provider . EMT-I can do all previous and administer about 10 different medications. EMT-P is a paramedic which can do all previous and a lot more.

Some areas have emts and paramedics on the same ambulance. The emt usally drives and a paramedic is in the back. Some areas run with three so two people and in back, one driving. There are also different levels of emts. EMT-B are basic emts, some can start IVs without paramedic presence if approved by ems provider . EMT-I can do all previous and administer about 10 different medications. EMT-P is a paramedic which can do all previous and a lot more.

Just like the ALS ambulance of the LA mod.

In the UK we have ECP's too... Emergency Care Practitioners.. Which is basically a lower qualified GP, they are able to diagnose people.. and receive quite a hefty wage too :P Some ECP's have been trained into frontline surgery too

We don't use codes in the UK we use Categories.

Category A= Serious/Lifethreatening- Requiring blue lights and sirens

Category B= not as as serious but requires a mediated response

Category C= Non-Emergency

I have heard rumors of them creating a new category, called TRAUMA so it'll be Adult Trauma, or Child Trauma.. just to even it out a bit

I think the police here in the UK use a similar system:

Grade 1 (immediate response, lights & siren)

Grade 2 (priority response)

Grade 3 (respond normally)

Grade 4 (delayed response)

Or at least something like that. The rules vary between forces across the country.

We have two here too. Code 3 lights and sirens. And code 2, no lights or sirens, often have opticon on. (changes light to green for the direction emergency unit is responding.)

We have code 2 and 3 from what I've heard in the county I live in and:

Priority 1: Lights and Sirens

Priority 2: Respond at your discretion (If you feel the need to use L and S, go ahead but don't kill yourself getting to this call since it may not be worth responding to in the first place)

Priority 3: No lights or sirens

Priority 4: Really, take your time. Finish that sandwich if you want to too lol. I've only heard P3 a handful of times and P4 once.

These are the codes dispatch uses in the county I volunteer in.

I have heard rumors of them creating a new category, called TRAUMA so it'll be Adult Trauma, or Child Trauma.. just to even it out a bit

I've Experienced a New System whilst out with West Midlands Ambulance Service of a Colour system

Red: Under 8 mins - Life Threatening

Yellow: under 16 mins - something that i can't remember right now :P

Green: up to 30 mins - Non Urgent

We use both code 1-3, as well as priority 1 and 2. Priority one is get there. Now. If you've gotta kill two babies, and a bus load of children, too bad for them, you've gotta get there... NOW!

And then priority 2, well take your time, I mean, like if traffic is really bad, sure you can flick your lights a little bit, but don't race to the scene, we don't need you THAT bad. ;)

They do it do make people see them when backing in. esecially on busy roads. It gets people in both directions to stop and allows them to back in saftley without worrying about traffic.

It may also depend by the way the lighting is wired on the truck.

Certain lights or warning sounds on apparatus are sometimes only available on certain light settings. I know our one engine will actually sound an alert and flash lights in the cab if you don't have the lightbar on... not sure why, probably just a safety feature.