emergency4freak

Emergency Unit Pictures

This morning I went to the Seixal Municipality Mixed Fire Department main station (They're mixed, because they are a full-professional/paid fire department, but each FF have to do 2 shifts (one at day and other at night per month) as a voluntier.

The FD is the 5 Biggest in Whole Portugal and the second best in terms of service (The first is Lisbon RSB :P)Unfornately, most of the vehicles weren't at the main station but at the secondary stations around the municipality.

One of the vehicles there was the VRCI (Rural Fire Fighting Vehicle, but this one also respond to Urban Fire calls and has Rescue and Extraction Gear. It's a 2008 Renault Midlum. 

IMGP3581.jpg

IMGP3583.jpg

A full apparatus pic (not mine) - http://www.bombeiros.pt/galeria/data/media/248/Imagem15330.jpg

Urban Pumper 02 (They have 3, but this was the only that was at the Main Station. Its a 1998 Scania with 3000 litters.

IMGP3589.jpg

IMGP3587.jpg

Full apparatus pic - http://www.bombeiros.pt/galeria/data/media/247/Imagem15321.jpg

The Rescue Squad - a 2003 Scania. Equiped With all types of Rescue And extraction Material. Also have at least 3 spineboards, basic life support and is specialized in USAR.

IMGP3620.jpg

Full Apparatus - http://www.bombeiros.pt/galeria/data/media/269/Imagem15329.jpg

Bat Chief Car 03 

IMGP3621.jpg

Full album here :Dhttps://www.emergency-planet.com/media/set/?set=a.685568998156146.1073741857.506146336098414&type=3

10271643_752417764797820_350814930936848

R.S.B. Lisboa - Engine 53

So.... I was at home and I checked the fire department emergencies on their website and I noticed that they were dispatched to open a door with urgency (injured person inside). I got out of my house and went to the scene (about 5 minutes away by foot). As the engine passed by me at high-speed, I start to run to the scene to be able to see them arrive. I arrived about 2 minutes after them. There was a patrol car and the fire fighters were already packing all of the equipment back into the truck (ladders, mostly). So, it was a false alarm and nobody was injured. They got back into the truck and returned to the station.

Everything went fine except for me. I got wet because of the rain, when I was going back home and I wasn't able to film the engine responding. Maybe next time. :)

Well, in some situations it is. The only thing that they know is that it's urgent.

An urgent door opening can be a locked (or jammed) door (with an injured person inside) that needs to opened ASAP. In this case, the fire department was called to an urgent call (turned out to be a non-medical), so they went with an engine as fast as they could (they only respond with the ambulance when the caller identifies the emergency as a medical). When they are called to a door opening w/ urgency, usually one of the firefighters has a medical bag and a AED in case the person needs any kind of medical assistance (and they call an ambulance, if the transport is needed).

For example, in some situations a person forgets the keys inside the house and the fire department and a police car go to the house to open the door (no lights or sirens) and the fire department demands a certain amount of money for the service, that's a door opening without urgency. 

I'm trying to keep this simple, but it's kind of complicated. :P

Here in the UK you don't need a huge fire truck outside all you need is a police officer/PCSO to kick the door in or use the big red key.

Our firefighters only use the trucks when it's urgent calls. They enter in the building through the windows or they bust the door (only when there's no access from the windows). When someone only forgets the keys, the fire department sends a small 4x4 or a van and they also climb through the windows. They love windows haha

At 0:50 you can see how they do it. :)

Our firefighters only use the trucks when it's urgent calls. They enter in the building through the windows or they bust the door (only when there's no access from the windows). When someone only forgets the keys, the fire department sends a small 4x4 or a van and they also climb through the windows. They love windows haha

At 0:50 you can see how they do it. :)

The FD does lock outs? I figured that was the job of a locksmith...

The FD does lock outs? I figured that was the job of a locksmith...

Well, I think that Lisbon's FD is the only one who does it in Portugal, they aren't any different than a locksmith... They even charge an "x" amount of money for the service. :)