matte31

How does your air-raid alarm sounds?

If we still have em around these parts, then they NEVER use them at all anymore... They were a fact of life in 50s but these days I think most of them have been shut down, in some areas replaced by alternative warning systems (such as tornado and severe lightning storms)... but for the most part the "air raid" sirens are gone in america.. I can't tell you the last time I heard an actual "test" of the things if they still even exist.

You wont miss that! Thats for sure..

Does every horn move like that?

The Thunderbolts aren't really used much anymore, they were installed from the 1950's to the 80's. Most have since been replaced. Any still in use are at least 20 years old.

Mechanical sirens tend to rotate, while electronic sirens tend to be stationary and omni-directional.

My town uses Federal Signal 2001 sirens which rotate. However, the place where I work in the summer uses Whelen electronic sirens, primarily for their voice notification capability.

Electronic sirens are much more versitile because they allow for a range of tones and voice notifications (think giant PA system), but mechanical sirens tend to carry farther and penetrate buildings better due to the unique sound waves they produce (similar to a mechanical Q or rumbler).

The city I live in we have an Emergency Alert System (which I guess would be for air-raids/tornado ). It sounds a lot like thunderbolt siren (posted by billy) for the first few moments but then drops matching some fire engine sirens more then a raid siren, and after a few moments it makes this little tune (

) and the guy comes on and says "This is a test of the emergency alert system". It echoes like hell as I think there are a couple in the area.

It's actually one of the nicer sirens I've seen and I was unable to find it on youtube. :(

And then we have this on TV. Freaking annoying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpnbtogOYyg

Okay, so first they say "testing siren" several times in Finnish, Swedish* and in English.

*= Swedish is Finland's second largest language. About 6% speak Swedish as their "first language" here in Finland (including me Whew!) and for example all the roadsigns are written on both Finnish and Swedish. On the Police car there is written Poliisi(finnish for police) on one side (right, i think) and Polis(Swedish for police) on the other side (left side, if i remember correctly). There is also schools in both Finnish and Swedish, and in the Swedish schools pupils learn Finnish, and the Finnish talking pupils learn Swedish. Tho, you use almost only Finnish for example in stores/restaurants etc.

What an of topic!!! :P

In Oslo we have airhorns as air raid alarms,the sound is very annoying. And unlucky me one of the air horns is placed on the building next to my school.:mad22:

It have no really function anymore, they are just for show. But in the cold war we norwegians were pretty frightend of the Russians. And thats way we have alot of protcetiv bunkers and air alarms all over the city.

In Oslo we have airhorns as air raid alarms,the sound is very annoying. And unlucky me one of the air horns is placed on the building next to my school.:mad22:

It have no really function anymore, they are just for show. But in the cold war we norwegians were pretty frightend of the Russians. And thats way we have alot of protcetiv bunkers and air alarms all over the city.

Nice to have that horn to sound when you have test ;)

Is it only used for wars etc? Not for gas releases etc?

The city I live in we have an Emergency Alert System (which I guess would be for air-raids/tornado ). It sounds a lot like thunderbolt siren (posted by billy) for the first few moments but then drops matching some fire engine sirens more then a raid siren, and after a few moments it makes this little tune (

) and the guy comes on and says "This is a test of the emergency alert system". It echoes like hell as I think there are a couple in the area.

It's actually one of the nicer sirens I've seen and I was unable to find it on youtube. :(

And then we have this on TV. Freaking annoying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpnbtogOYyg

Our one in France is raised At 12:00 (noon) every first wednesday of the month here it is:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26oj4_sirene-dalerte_news

Also sirmoo, your on sound like the song they us to call the aliens in "encounter of the third type" movie!!!

City of San Francisco utilize and test the city's air-raid siren every noon of Tuesdays --- It's to be used for events such as Earthquakes, Tsunami, or any major natural disasters.

But i don't believe any city uses air raid sirens for air defense. If such man-terror events occur, such as Terrorism, or War on Soil, the US Government will use the Emergency Alert System. The President, or any Representatives of the US Government, Military, and authorized media stations, uses this System if any Major Emergency Events undergoes.