Dyson

Manhattan Modification General Topic

I am one of those 'intels'.

I already went through the mod and converted all the .bmp textures into smaller .png files. As reported, there was a big file size reduction. I tried loading freeplay after this, and for once it started up (rather than CTD before loading finished) but just instantly froze totally. It seems, then, that I had freed up some memory but nowhere near enough.

I think the issue is probably the imported high-quality models from other games. There are a lot of these on the map which my Intel card probably can't cope with (being an integrated card, it shares graphics + processing power). I did go through the map in the editor and replaced a lot of the HQ imported models with standard EM4 buildings, but still didn't get any further than before. I might try replacing all the HQ buildings with normal EM4 buildings and see if it works then, although that's a real shame as it won't have the NY feel to it and be a lot less fun to play.

Perhaps modellers can work on reducing the poly counts for these buildings to increase performance, or more simple models can be given good textures to achieve the same effects (a low-poly model with good texture can be just as good as a high quality model).

This is coming along great, just the only damn thing that is annoying is the stupid blue screening every 15 minutes of playing it, I can run everything else but this :(, Man I want my new PC. But other than that still looks amazing

This is coming along great, just the only damn thing that is annoying is the stupid blue screening every 15 minutes of playing it, I can run everything else but this :(, Man I want my new PC. But other than that still looks amazing

A bluescreen? After 2 almost 2 years of being on the team, I have never heard of computers getting bluescreens. Are you talking about the bluescreen of death?

Beta team*

I have had this issue once with my previous computer which had 256mb of VRAM and If I remember 8gb of RAM. It was happening not only with the mod but with other games. Error was something like Overtaxed memory or something. I did a fresh install of windows and that fixed it. Not saying you should but look into getting a computer upgrade.

Beta team*

I have had this issue once with my previous computer which had 256mb of VRAM and If I remember 8gb of RAM. It was happening not only with the mod but with other games. Error was something like Overtaxed memory or something. I did a fresh install of windows and that fixed it. Not saying you should but look into getting a computer upgrade.

yea that is what I was told, my PC is old and crap anyways I am buying a new one that runs ALOT better and triples what I am running now

I'm just checking out the mod and fixing some scripts, nothing big really. :xmas:

Some more advise regarding performance:

The loading times of the mod being so long are probably caused by the (playable) vehicles. Since each vehicle ID (in the Units folder) gets initialized upon loading, the game is going through all the corresponding prototype and model files of them. Now, the problem is that your vehicle folder still contains huge files, even after converting the files to .png. For example, the '03 FDNY' folder alone is already 1,4 gb. Compared to a size of 3 mb (!) for the similar folder (02 LA Fire Department) in the LA Mod it's incredibly huge. My advise regarding this issue: downsize the textures. A 2048x2048 sized texture just isn't really useful in EM4. I know the big textures are more detailed and pretty, but ingame you cannot even zoom in that close to read the brand of each screw. You mostly play the game from a birds eye view anyway. I'd convert a texture of that size to 1024x1024 pixels, which will make it 4 times as small. Doing that for the 100's of textures will probably create another performance boost.

The loading times of the map (when loading freeplay) have a similar cause, but instead of vehicles, objects (the buildings) are causing the long loading times. Same advise applies to this: downsize textures and make people happy.

I even bet you can make the entire mod as small as 1 GB (or even less) without much quality difference.

Hooper

Some cool news,

Hoppah has volunteered to work with us so expect some cool new stuff

What in the kitten? I recently asked Hoppah if he would like to volunteer for our team and he declines for reasons of not having any free time to work on any mods, yet he opens up a new mod and then joins you guys?

No time, my flowerpot, looks to me like you're on a date with cinnamon-roll-puppy-head.

Favoritism is disgusting. I'm out.

wexLzQU.gif

Edit: Foul language softened out by Mr. Voodoo.

^^

Man has the right to choose, and i see that he is not modding or making something, just going through the files and trying to get the size down.

About his mod, it is his right to do what he wants and he wants something to challenge him and to make something to be as good, or better then LA mod. I support RCMP, not by posting but just looking and waiting, but i think that you have crossed a line with this.

What in the kitten? I recently asked Hoppah if he would like to volunteer for our team and he declines for reasons of not having any free time to work on any mods, yet he opens up a new mod and then joins you guys?

No time, my flowerpot, looks to me like you're on a date with cinnamon-roll-puppy-head.

Favoritism is disgusting. I'm out.

Butthurt much? Mind the language, would you?

Oh and I think this gif sums up your reaction better than the Jim Carrey one, but maybe that's just me:

tumblr_mgw4kcnqxz1s3at96o1_500.gif

What in the fuck? I recently asked Hoppah if he would like to volunteer for our team and he declines for reasons of not having any free time to work on any mods, yet he opens up a new mod and then joins you guys?

No time, my ass, looks to me like you're on a date with cinnamon-roll-fuckin-head.

Favoritism is disgusting. I'm off this forum.

That's not really fair to say, is it? Why can't I make my own choices? I'm currently working almost 50 hrs a week and in my spare time I'm trying to make a new mod since I'm too tired/ill to do anything else. Me and rafael just agreed that we can share expertise. He is building me a couple of models (I'm slow at moddeling) for the US army mod and I'm only fixing a couple of scripts and giving advice regarding performance issues. I didn't join his team and I'm certainly not going to do all the scripting for them from now on. I'm just a freelancer for this project basically.

And yes, this mod is appealing to me, but I haven't played it for longer than 10 minutes total and my pc is way too slow to play it smoothly. There are a ton of mods which have the potentials (including yours, I made a compliment about the vehicles) to grow big. I'm getting requests to help people with their mods about twice a week, so it's kinda obvious I can't help everyone out. This also one of the reasons why I gave permission to everyone to edit the LA mod and do with it whatever they want, so people have a base to start with. I just can't supervise or oversee every mod there is, and I'm not even supervising this mod, thats Rafaels/Dysons job imo.

Hoppah

Butthurt much? Mind the language, would you?

Oh and I think this gif sums up your reaction better than the Jim Carrey one, but maybe that's just me:

tumblr_mgw4kcnqxz1s3at96o1_500.gif

You know what Voodoo Operator, you're totally right and you know what I'm gonna do for ya?

tumblr_m4kk12K4zU1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Back on topic.

I've pretty much done with v3, I worked on the map for several months, it's almost how I'd want it, I also had several new scripts I had at testing stage, but since my computer no longer runs the mod, AMD killing me with ridiculous support for my drivers, I'm leaving v3 to Raf and hoppah to look over and release when they believe it's ready.

I'm still staying on the Em4 modding world but until v3 is released and we can discuss what to do from there my presence is purely as an oversight rather than an active input on the mod from here on out.

x

Jack shit.

Oh. I see.

Say, would you mind snapping out of it?

I let you off without any warnings despite your foul language, and I believe Hoppah has given you an honest answer.

Time to let that one go before you make a fool of yourself. Okay?

tumblr_m4kk12K4zU1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Back on topic.

I've pretty much done with v3, I worked on the map for several months, it's almost how I'd want it, I also had several new scripts I had at testing stage, but since my computer no longer runs the mod, AMD killing me with ridiculous support for my drivers, I'm leaving v3 to Raf and hoppah to look over and release when they believe it's ready.

I'm still staying on the Em4 modding world but until v3 is released and we can discuss what to do from there my presence is purely as an oversight rather than an active input on the mod from here on out.

x

Let's hope it will be released and not get into the trash bin.

Jack shit.

The hell is your problem dude? I'm pretty sure Hoppah made his decision because of 3 main things.

•We've gotten to talk for a couple of weeks and get to know eachother

•He sees that our mod has been released and has delivered product in the past and that we have massive amounts of work done

•We can both help eachother out. He likes my 3D modeling skill and I like his scripting skill, it's a mutual agreement requiring effort from BOTH parties and we both benefit from it, where as your mod when someone VOLUNTEERS to help you out you throw a job at them and then say "by the way were not letting you try or look at the mod you're helping work on.

That is a big reason why me and Dyson decided not to help you out with your mod, oh and also because your a straight up d*ck. Now quit whining Ariel.