Stan

Huge changes

So, I get a lot of complaints about behaviors of some members. I get complaints about moderators. I get complaints about stealing models...

I started this place hoping to help people, hoping to create a place where multicultural people, with the same interests, could meet, help and get help. This seems to currently fail badly.

Since I am moving house in some weeks, I will resume my restructuring activities in June and July. Those restructuring activities consist in a more simplified and clearer version of the TOS. The current version will stay, but not everything is required for new users and nobody is going to read all of this.

There will be a new tutorials' spot, at the top of the forum, to keep the overview and lower the amount of sub-forums. The Dutch and English mod topics got already separated to remake the overview on that place. Right now, there should be no more sub-sub-forums.

I will make a list of changes later on, since at this point, I am checking what I can to to repair the image of this site, and to get back the reputation we had in the beginning.

Regards,

Stan

Guest dionissimus

Stan,

May your move be hassleless : )

On those complaints, well, this is what you get when you host a forum with children forming over half of population. Take my advice, as a father and a two-decade forum goer, myself: don't take it to heart. Trust your moderators. Kids will always be kids, there will be some policing involved, but nothing too drastic. Preserve the adult community, let the juniors know their place and all will be right : )

Thank you for hosting our (erm..) your forum : )

The moderators here do nothing wrong (At least what i see) In my eyes they handle situations of stress in a mature and professional manner. Trust me if i had to deal with some of the kids here i'd have ban fever.

The moderators here do nothing wrong (At least what i see) In my eyes they handle situations of stress in a mature and professional manner. Trust me if i had to deal with some of the kids here i'd have ban fever.

Trust me, we had. We were at the verge of desperation, but we prevailed and we managed to keep this forum in one piece. And for that, I would like to applaud to my co-workers here, because, sometimes, you (the member) can be a real pain in the... you know what.

- Tutorial section has been added

I will be moving the tutorials to that section and editing them in the coming weeks

- The advertising spaces have been updated

Several bugs and additions for me have been made. I hope this fixed the half black screen issie

- Updated the ban from a topic option

We can now ban members from selected topics without running into errors

- Reinstalled the forum icons

This did not fix the sub-forums staying unread :(

- Updated the Blue Velved skin to the latest version

Fixed several bugs

While being, I need your guys opinion.

Do we need a main-site like we currently have?

Do we need game infos, walktroughs and screenshots like they currently are on the main site?

Do we need a multi lingual platform? (Like the mainsite in more languages then only English)

Do we need game infos, walktroughs and screenshots like they currently are on the main site?

Do we need a multi lingual platform? (Like the mainsite in more languages then only English)

Yes i believe you should have those.

It's easy to redirect new members to it, who don't know the basics of the game.

The main page is handy with the tutorials.

And mutli lingo, well this is international...although dutch in my case could drop :)

Not really, no. The only time I come close to the main site is when I don't have the forums bookmarked. But even then, I just type "EM4 LA mod" into Google, so even then I don't go to the main-site. If tutorials are going to be accessible through the forum, then there's not much use for the main-site. Hell, you can even access the Downloads through the forums. It's pretty redundant.

English and Dutch as that covers the majority of the users. I was going to say German too, but I think the German fanbase tends to hang out near the Winterberg forums and other German mods.

I don't really know how useful adding more languages would be. I could see people from countries far from English speaking countries, e.g Russia. But if you think about it, is it going to be worth the effort?

You've got to correctly translate the mainsite/tutorials/whatever to the desired language.

Implement the new languages into the site(s).

Sit back and watch as about 5 people use it a year.

Another thing to think about: The forum does attract international members: Norwegian, Russian, Greek, Spanish French etc etc. I'm assuming you can't/won't cater for every single language that people speak here. So how do you choose what languages to implement?

Very easilly the most commonly spoken languages tend to be latin based, Italian, French Spanish, English... German should be done, Russian ehh perhaps, maybe Japanese as well, but for the most part most of the world has at least a remedial understanding of english, very few places do not teach english in school anymore... Perhaps they are not as well rounded as we'd like their understanding to be but none the less they have a decent understanding of it. And for the most part if you know how to write into a translator you can get pretty close to the intended message with a few words here and there that are going to be lost in translation when it comes to the non-dominant languages... I'm sorry to the parts of the world that are not overly common but in all honesty how many people can understand Urdu?

Main site? No. A portal, maybe.

Game info, etc? No, just add everything to the forums. Adding the walkthroughs here may cut down on repeated questions of how to beat certain missions.

Multi lingual? No, imo. I think the dutch forums should move to there own install of IPB, or phpbb depending on costs. Have the english forums in http://forum.emergency-planet.com/en/ the dutch forums at http://forum.emergency-planet.com/nl/ and so forth for any other languages. It might decrease activity a bit, but make over all communication easier. Not that it is a huge problem atm, but just throwing it out there.