heyjoojoo

Dispatch procedures question...

I have a question regarding the terminology used for LAFD calls. I prefer to have responses from only those who are experienced with dispatching or communication monitoring for the LA area.

What terms do the dispatchers use for the following apparatus:

Engines - I believe is "Engine"

Foam Tenders - ??

Ambulances - ?? (for both ALS and BLS)

Aerial Ladder Trucks - ??

Foam Tender - ??

Aerial Ladder Truck - ??

USAR Squad - ??

Tiller Truck - ??

Mass Casualty Unit - ??

HAZMAT Squad - ??

Brush Patrol - ??

Just need a little help in redoing the Supervisor video/audio in the game. Would really appreciate any help...

This varies with dept. but i will give you what i know. (all of these are US based)

Engine- 'Engine'

Foam Tender- 'Foam'

Ambulance BLS- 'Ambulance'

Ambulance ALS- 'Medic'

Aerial- 'Truck'

Tiller- 'Truck'

USAR- 'Squad' or 'Rescue'

Mass Casualty- 'EMS ops' or 'MCU'

Hazmat- 'hazmat'

Brush Patrol- 'wildland' or 'brush'

In looking at the stats of the number of calls for the different stations in LA, it doesn't look like the 'medic' units take anywhere near as many calls. Is it because AMR is taking the majority of those calls? It also looks like there are just a few stations that house 'medic' units. I counted only five.

See http://www.lacountyfire.com/modules.php?na...paratustypesort

Two things, one notice this is LA county webste, not the city. two, it says that it is NOT the official site, so the statistics may not be accurate.

Yeah, I knew that. I was just trying to get a better idea on how to redo the audio using a little more realism in the radio transmissions. As far as the game, I believe the mod is basically simulating a more of a City department rather than county or maybe it doesnt really matter. I wanted to use stations that obtained the highest calls. Would you happen to know which stations averaged the highest call rate?

Skid Row is the busiest station.

Run Stats during the months of July, August & September 2008

Engine 209 - 14.0 Responses per day

Engine 9 - 11.7 Responses per day

Truck 9 - 5.3 Responses per day

Rescue 9 - 10.7 Responses per day

Rescue 209 - 9.6 Responses per day

Guest Skinnerpb77

Engines - "Engine" (ex. Engine 11)

Aerial Ladder Trucks - "Tower or Truck or Ladder depending on the type of ladder" (ex. Tower 11 or Truck 11 or Ladder 11)

USAR Squad - "Rescue or Truck" (Some rescue companies are also considered truck companies, just have different Apperattus) (ex. Rescue 11 or Truck 11)

Tiller Truck - "Tower" (ex. Tower 11)

Brush Patrol - "Grass or Brush?" (ex. Grass 11 or Brush 11)

It does depend on the area but most of these are universal around the U.S.

So, here's what I'm thinking. I will use some of the actual station names. Of course, I can't use all of them but rather the stations that receive high call numbers (i.e. 9, 57, 64, 33, etc.) In not knowing what the apparatus inventory is for each station other than 9, I had to improvise a little bit. I had to come to a point where I wasn't trying to be too nitpicky and perfect because I can get that way sometimes, and find a suitable middle point.

I'll remove the "nothing further or no further details" and perhaps come up with something different. I'll eliminate the flashing lightbar, and replace it with footage of an actual communications center. And revising the audio to make it sound clearer and adding actual station names.

Sounds very nice! Good job! Just remember to call Engines to most of the medical calls also, as the LAFD uses engines on most of the medicals! And you can simulate an "ambulance vacuum" by calling an engine only to some low minor incident, simulating the fact the dispatcher is sending the engine at the time he is seeking for a suitable ambulance!

So, here's what I'm thinking. I will use some of the actual station names. Of course, I can't use all of them but rather the stations that receive high call numbers (i.e. 9, 57, 64, 33, etc.) In not knowing what the apparatus inventory is for each station other than 9, I had to improvise a little bit. I had to come to a point where I wasn't trying to be too nitpicky and perfect because I can get that way sometimes, and find a suitable middle point.

I'll remove the "nothing further or no further details" and perhaps come up with something different. I'll eliminate the flashing lightbar, and replace it with footage of an actual communications center. And revising the audio to make it sound clearer and adding actual station names.

Sounds good :)

i belive it is referred to as metro division or just swat. you can also come on and say something like 'all units be adivsed we are in tactical alert for an active shooter, all available units respond, request swat code 3'

From listening to the radio transmissions, the dispatch would declare a "tac alert". This would bring all needed personnel on alert. SWAT is usually metro division, but if dispatch is talking to the SWAT supervisor, they are referred to as "10-david". That would be a lieutenant. Reporting to the LT are six sergeants, 20-david through 70-david. Something like "Central to 10-david, we have a 211(robbery) in progress, requesting metro division on scene at (insert address here) with fire and rescue staged.....etc". SWAT is also referred to as D platoon in organizational terms.

From listening to the radio transmissions, the dispatch would declare a "tac alert". This would bring all needed personnel on alert. SWAT is usually metro division, but if dispatch is talking to the SWAT supervisor, they are referred to as "10-david". That would be a lieutenant. Reporting to the LT are six sergeants, 20-david through 70-david. Something like "Central to 10-david, we have a 211(robbery) in progress, requesting metro division on scene at (insert address here) with fire and rescue staged.....etc". SWAT is also referred to as D platoon in organizational terms.

Wow. I'm thinking SWAT or tac units may be sufficient. But I think tac units aren't necessarily referring to SWAT though.

Wow. I'm thinking SWAT or tac units may be sufficient. But I think tac units aren't necessarily referring to SWAT though.

Right, like I said, When dispatch declares a TAC alert, SWAT and other units are put on high alert. I just tried to give as much info as possible. I base all of my reply on this :nohosample.mp3

At 2:00, dispatch receives an officer down transmission and declares a TAC alert, bringing SWAT, and RA's to the scene

Whered you find that? Awesome find!

Kind of off topic but my local newspaper has a Police Scanner stream on there website. Would chatter like that be on public frequencies or more likley over private frequencies?

Sorry for jacking your thread joo, just seemed like it sort of fit in :P

Whered you find that? Awesome find!

Kind of off topic but my local newspaper has a Police Scanner stream on there website. Would chatter like that be on public frequencies or more likley over private frequencies?

Sorry for jacking your thread joo, just seemed like it sort of fit in :P

I did a report back in high school on the inception of SWAT. This was one of my aids. it's form the Bank Of America shootout with Larry Philips and Emil Matasareanu. I was stunned when I first heard the fear in that dispatchers voice