OFFICER DAN

Windows Vista

Vista was pretty much rushed and hardware companies (Dell...etc) didn't have the time to make the proper drivers for Vista.

The sad part is vista been out for years now and yet they still cant make proper drivers.

It won't replace my good XP Pro :) Never!

Same, I love vista, but it aint going to happen. XP is too reliable and Win 7 is right around the corner so meh, not much point in upgrading now.

Guest FireBug

:happy: another OS you can now get Emergency 4 or 911-First Responders working on is Windows Server 2008 R2 X64, since Server 2008 is basicly Windows 7 for servers this process may work on vista X64 and Windows 7 X64 as well.

Install as normal from cd or image ect.

Goto the install directory usually on X64: C:\Program Files (x86)\ and right click on the games publisher folder and to security.

Give everyone and users full permissions to the directory.

Find Em4.exe and set it to Compatibility mode "Windows XP Service Pack 2" and Run as Administrator

then start the game by launching it from Command prompt. For 911-First Responders that is

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Em4 -x9 <<the x9 switch im told launches the game and tells it to use directX9.

once the game has loaded tab out and run command prompt as Administrator.

then type taskmgr -admin, once taskmanager has loaded find Em4.exe (or somthing along those lines) in processes.

right click and set priority to High

tab back into Em4 and enjoy :P

not tested this on any other OS myself just 2008 R2 Enterprise X64, the game preforms fairly well a little lag on load and when there are a lot of units about. im going to test LA Mod now and post the results

Guest FireBug

that looks like a graphics error which could be caused by one of two things. A game bug or an incompatible Graphics card. the latter is more likely if you have a laptop or a desktop with integrated graphics. post your systems specs and i shall try and find you an answer. :grinsevil:

p.s, now tested with the latest version of Winterberg and it takes around 5-15mins to load but it works perfectly

*New Update*

Em1 (crashes after a mission or two, but stable) and Em2 (completely stable under windows 2000 compatability)work fine.

I've got Em4 working better by turning off all shading. The problem is that there is another issue, missing/distorted textures:

Also the rotating 3D image in the buy menu isn't working, it just shows a white box.

As for Em3 it also suffers from a graphic distortion:

If I fiddle with the shading options this goes away but everything gets darker.

Is this maybe a codec issue? or still an incompatible graphics card?

EM4 Log:

EM3 Log:

DX Diagnosis:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest ENG12INE

I am no genius but I have a laptop that I use which has vista...I have had that problem where certain vehicles and what not will not show up and just be white...and if i'm not mistaking I would believe it's a graphics card issue...because of the fact im having the same issue with a different game but it's on a laptop, so put things together and it seems likely to be graphics card not compatible...

Guest FireBug

@ MCERT1 from just the DX Diag report it looks like a graphics problem. from what i know of laptop chipsets the intel one's are usually the worst. im also sure that somwhere in the system requirements for EM4 it says "integrated chipsets may work but are not supported" so im affraid i can't help you there. Never played EM1 through to EM3 but if they are using earlier releases of DirectX say 9.0B or 8 then windows vista will struggle to play them as alot was changed in directX from 8.0 upwards.

Vista x64 is designed to handle 32 bit apps as well as 64 bit apps(and games for that matter). 99.9% of of 32 bit apps and games should run fine in Vista 64 bit. However Vista x64 no longer supports 16 bit apps/games, but those are rather rare these days. You should read up on wow64 in Vista x64.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

To be honest im not a fan of Vista, the security pop up is really annoyin and the administrator pop up is also really annoyin as it takes ages to load up etc.

My suggestion is that if people are thinking of changing from XP, go for win7 and not vista!!

The security pop ups, aka User Account Control are easily disabled. So is the pop up saying UAC is disabled. ;) As for taking ages to load, I havent clocked it but it seems as fast as my Windows XP. Maybe your system specs just arent the best for running Vista? I have run Vista Ultimate x64 for like a month now and love it! With a hard drive upgrade it runs even better then XP x32 did.

The security pop ups, aka User Account Control are easily disabled. So is the pop up saying UAC is disabled. ;) As for taking ages to load, I havent clocked it but it seems as fast as my Windows XP. Maybe your system specs just arent the best for running Vista? I have run Vista Ultimate x64 for like a month now and love it! With a hard drive upgrade it runs even better then XP x32 did.

hmm ive looked but havent found anything tht would disable it! any advice would be appreciated

As for the load up time, i was talking for the security pop ups and not its actually start up.

Also ive heard that Win7 has much faster transfer file time unlike vista and that the overall speed of Win7 is much faster.

for me a OS has to be fairly fast, as i play alot of games, and use my comp heavily! i feel vista just aint up to the task, XP was and ive heard win7 is wot vista should have been!! to me vista is just very complicated, not very user friendly!

go to the start menu and in the run/search box type msconfig. Hit Enter. Click on the tab that says Tools. Find Disable UAC, click Launch in the lower right corner and click apply. That easy. :)

As for vista/win 7 speed, yes Win 7 is pretty much the completed version of Win Vista. I wouldnt say 7 is incredibly faster then vista, but it is faster. As I said though with the right specs, and the right tweaks Vista runs just fine on my PC. Yes it takes more resources but thats not the first time, nor last time a windows upgrade will be like that. People said the same thing when MS went from 16 bit operating systems to 32 bit operating system. Keep in mind your beloved XP was at one time considered to be very unstable, but now were on SP3 and every one loves it.

As for being user friendly, they changed things around. Give your self time to adjust to it rather then just using it for 5 mins and saying you dont like it. Plus if you plan to go to Win 7 then consider getting used to it as in the end, while Vista does offer some great new features, it isnt that much different then vista as far as locating things.

I would also make sure you have a solid built PC like a Core 2 Duo or Dore 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM,a 7200 RPM Hard drive with 32 megabytes cache(preferably a WD), and a video card with atleast 500 MB dedicated video memory. Oh and get Vista or Windows 7 64 bit if your cpu supports it, which I believe all the Core 2 processors do. The only thing is I have heard theres a major lack of XP x64 driver support, so only go with Vista x64 or Win 7 x64.

Theres a win 7 topic here http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?showtopic=7032

How can it be harder? Its the same process with the same apps. Zmod 1 works(havent tried zmod 2 but if zmod 1 works surely zmod 2 does). Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS1-4 work. Gimp and Paint.net still work. So Im completely baffled on how it can be harder.

FOR THE PEOPLE THATS HAS HERE WINDOWS VISTA OR 7 DUAL BOOT WINDOWS XPDownload Easus Partition Master Free Edition make a partition and install windows XP on it place the drivers and install Emergency 3/4

TIP: how to get into the dualboot menu? press by starting the pc on F2

I hope that ur problems now are gone, and if it not worked ask me and i will help u! :schreiben: