MikesPhotos

MikesPhotos.us poll

Since so many people from this board/game utilize my website, I've decided to throw this question out to all of you as well as the rest of my userbase...

Hey there, I've sort of reached an impasse of sorts, and I'd like to reach out to everyone and ask their opinion on where to go from here.

I'd really appreciate it if you go to my website @

MikesPhotos.us

and vote on the poll on the front page. It'll help greatly!

As some of you know, I'm currently working on a brand new version of the site that will incorporate only minor outside changes (like google map integration), more pics on a single page, faster loading, and less spam. The biggest changes are more behind the scenes which should allow me to add photos quicker and easier then before. Right now it's almost an 800 step process to do a single event, and that's just the uploading side of things, not the editing or tagging or anything. The new site will drop that down to 4 steps!

So please vote and let me know what you think.

I think you should start fresh, but I would hate for all those pictures to come down, and have to wait for them to come up again, so would it be possible to keep like an archive of the current one up, until the new one has all the pictures?

I might, and I seriously stress might be able to, but because of the size (nearly 20k pictures), and the convoluted database issues, I'm not quite sure it'll be possible, especially since the new site uses so much of the old code, naming conventions for folders and such. Afterall, the original page is still up and available, with nearly 40k pics on it that never got moved over to the 2nd one. Hopefully, with the ease of doing this new way, it won't take too long to merge both the original and the current to the new in a few months.

Indeed. A fresh new website might be a good idea. I don't know where the server of the website is located, but the website is a bit slow here and I get alot of script pop-ups when I enter the website.

When you're going fresh it might be a good idea to use/find a better menu without thumbnails in them.

For example: The Action/On Scene Photography. I prefer a simple list without thumbnails like this.

Album: Law Enforcement

Album: Fire - EMS

Album: Incidents - Law Enforcement and Fire/EMS

Album: Events, Shows, and Demonstrations

Album: Military

Album: City/County Services

Album: Lifeguards

The titles are basically enough to provide all the information people need.

Other important things might be a less complicated and user-friendly interface. Keep it simple.

The photos are already on the server. There should be a way to keep them there and just use the new coding (which should find the photos automatically) without adding them 1 by 1 again. You can always add the information to the photos later. People mostly care about what's in the photo anyway. :)