MCERT1

How to fight a brush fire, Pennsylvania style

post-942-1243996152_thumb.jpg

Rather unique way to fill the Bambi bucket don't you think?

Honestly, I would have never thought of that.

Mikesphotos will enjoy this, the brush fire was only about one acre. I think the helicopter may have been abit too much.

*note I'm not dissing these departments, I come from Cambria County and respect these agencies*

Rather unique way to fill the Bambi bucket don't you think?

Honestly, I would have never thought of that.

Mikesphotos will enjoy this, the brush fire was only about one acre. I think the helicopter may have been abit too much.

*note I'm not dissing these departments, I come from Cambria County and respect these agencies*

Great pic, and many departments use portable water tanks (known as pumpkins colloquially) to refill snorkels and bambi buckets when no water source is available. This allows Engines and Water Tenders to refill it and keep shuttling water back and forth to keep air operations close by the incident and travel time minimized.

Google Dip Tanks, Pumpkins, and Portable Water Tanks for other pics, including some that look like dump truck trailers.

I never really thought about using a dump tank like that before it just seems a bit dangerous to me, but then again I'm sure it's less dangerous than filling out of a public pool surrounded by a lot more obstacles than that.

I never really thought about using a dump tank like that before it just seems a bit dangerous to me, but then again I'm sure it's less dangerous than filling out of a public pool surrounded by a lot more obstacles than that.

It can indeed be dangerous, but every water source comes with its inherent dangers and challenges. On the Day Fire in the Los Padres National Forest, a Skycrane rolled over and impacted the ground after catching its snorkel on the lip of a tank at the Lockwood Heavy Helibase. Thankfully everyone on board walked away safely but the helo was a total loss for the most part.

With Type 1 (Heavy) helicopters such as Skycranes, Fire Kings and Firehawks, you want to keep them away from the Type II and Type III smaller helicopters due to the differences in pattern and flight characteristics, using dip sites and portable water tanks gives fire managers the ability to place the helispots wherever they are needed the most and in the safest areas for all involved. With bambi buckets, the concern is not overflying uninvolved residential housing and busy streets due to spillage and safety regulations, so with a dip tank like the one in the above photo, you can place it in an area that meets all FAA and department regulations.

Mike