Well we all know people love to hijack topics and talk about things, like, for instance if a new member comes in and makes a request, they aren't usually beaten, but instead informed, like okay, you can't do this, just try not to do it again, or a mod might not be happy with you...

Those people are usually then accused of impersonating forum police, etc... And it kills the topic...

well Here is my plan...

When people do this, instead of just picking up the fight with them, ignore them all together and go straight back to topic without even acknowledging the off topic fight starting.

For instance

Topic Regarding Newfoundland Mod created by John Jacobs (mod is fictional as well as person)

Member 1 Hey, what if we put in a dispatcher to call all the units

Me [insert standard 'already been discussed, no suggestions' notice]

Member 2 Hey, What do you think you can go around being forum police? You aren't even a mod?!

Me So, I saw a post back a little while ago about the harbour, how are you going to do that, or are you just going to leave it out... I didn't really understand it.

Now see how it works? Let's put this into action... Therefore Mods' jobs become much easier, and they don't have to clean up big fights, because they end... Also If they wish to clean it up, it's only 3 or 4 posts...

I know it was a bad example but I made it up, you all get the point right?

I made this topic solely because so many topics get 'hijacked' by people asking questions, and when they are answered topic gets derailed all together... This isn't a stand against questions at all, but a way to stop the fights that follow, because people read things and take offence to them, and start getting defencive, most members here don't want to start something, so if you want to put into action my new plan on how to take care of topic derailments over fights, then join on in, membership is free!

PS

I did not make this idea, I am merely presenting it to those who may not know it. Most people follow it halfway, myself included sometimes, by posting something contributing to the "derailment" then going back on to topic. Any questions, I will gladly answer.

This is my first step into helping control the forum population! (not the amount but the behaviour)

EDIT: I just read this over, it may seem like it is targeting people, it isn't it is just trying to stop this from happening, so people don't get targeted. I am all for loving the peoples!

When people do this, instead of just picking up the fight with them, ignore them all together and go straight back to topic without even acknowledging the off topic fight starting.

Or you could just use the report post button to let us know so we can remove the post and pm the new member that made the suggestion. That would prevent everything all together.

well basically if we just ignored them, and one of us, not all 1000 of us decided to report it, then a mod could take care of it, but when people respond things happen, so I just ignore those posts, and I might inform a mod or not, depending on what I am doing at that moment :P