Newfoundking

Oil rigs out of commission

BUT

I was just thinking about something, and I wonder.. Do oil companies up and abandon oil rigs when they are all finished with them? Or do they take them somewhere and reuse them?

I was looking around, and I know that the different militarys have used Floating Naval Bases, which are alot like oil rigs, but instead of drilling for oil, they were used as, well naval bases..

A Bunch of these, after the war was over, seeing as most of them were in international waters, were abandoned, and most sunk, or were taken by someone to use them for something.

Basically I am interested in knowing if there are any known of abandoned, or decommissioned oil rigs, or something similar. This is for personal interest, and I know most if not all of you are wondering why I would want to know this. The answer is I wish to build a top secret nuclear base in international waters, with old oil rigs, and other such floating water devices.

That was a joke, I wouldn't actually do such a thing... too much money

Would really appreciated it if there are any known of floating platforms that are out of commission etc.

I have searched and cannot find any... The only ones I can find are oil rigs that are being used, or that sank

its not really an oil rig but i remember reading about the Brent Spar case, which was an oil storage and tanker loading buoy used by Shell in the North Sea from the 70ties to the beginning of the 90ties, they wanted to dump it in the sea but greenpeace didnt like it and protested against the decision, and the outcome was that the Brent Spar was being disposed off on shore and it was used as a foundation for a new ferry terminal according to wikipedia :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_spar

Well it doesn't have to be an oil rig... And most oil rigs are not functioning ships... In fact most are made on shore, and towed out to the site by several ships... Take the Hibernia GBS. That basically just chills on the grand banks... Now some are ships, but a lot here anyways, especially after the ocean ranger incident in '84 aren't that kind anymore, because simply, it is safer to have something sat down, rather than floating.

I heard about that, The pirate bay is what you are thinking of, however I won't post a link there... They did not buy it, they just support the small country of sealand...

That was an abandoned Naval base at international waters after WWII by the UK

They got it because it was international waters, and since '67 it has been home to the residents you can read about it at http://www.sealandgov.com

This is the site for Sealands history, kinda funny to read about.