Commander Rasseru

Best Fireman Contest

Is there a World Firefighter Challenge?

I believe so, but don't quote me on that.

@ Newfoundking: My town's involved in the Fire Fighter Combat Challenge, but, it's not by station, it goes by department/service. Each town takes I think 5 or so members that are the "elite," and they compete. We had Nationals in the next city over (Niagara Falls) a few years back now. Fort Erie placed I think 5th. Might be wrong though. Not too sure :P

(Off topic, I'm pretty stoked, as this post marks my half-way point to being promoted to Captain :):D )

In the Netherlands we have a competition that's called Toughest Firefighter Alive (or TFA for short). There are a lot of european countries that have a similar competition. You need to run with hoses, beat somthing into the ground with a sledge hamer, run a 100 meters with your gear on, then set up a ladder and bring two 10 L jerry cans to the first floor and use a rope to get a weigth to that same floor and run up and down 17 stories with your gear on. If you ain't dead after doing all that then you win.

We also have competitions where teams have to try to put out a fire or rescue accident victims as quickly and as efficiently as possible. We have lot's of different variations between those games. Small fires, large fires, diving accidents, HAZMAT incidents, traffic accidents and even a combination of two or more of those things. Very fun to do.

Our Fire Fighter Combat Challenge here in Canada is similar. You're fully suited up, SCBA on, etc. You've gotta run up 3 or 4 stories, pull 250' of dry 2 1/2" line up to the top, then run back down, not skipping any steps, then you have to hit a 50 pound weight i think 25' to simulate forcible entry, then run a charged 1 3/4" line 50' and hit a target to simulate rapid attack, then drag a 250 pound dummy another 75'. The fastest time wins. It's so rough, they've got 2 paramedic ambulances standing-by for heat-stroke, exhaustion, dehydration, etc. And all competetors must stay under a tent being monitored by 2 nurses until they're declared ok. It's amazing to watch :)

yeah cause we all know its only America that some firemen are out of shape....no where else in the world they are...just America, i take some serious pride in what i do and while I do not disagree that there are SOME out of shape firefighters ... America is not the only place out there that has insufficent standards, and not all american departments are so lax.

Edited again... ty for more time wasted over things that can be done in PM

Guest HPVFD236

Yea most of americans dont like to be out of shape at all when they are doing something like firefighting. Me personally like to train everyweek and work out all the time. Its will be my career one day and i know i will be good at what i do. I mean just look at me lol

SSPX0013.jpg

Too lazy to rewrite post...

Removed comment

You generally see other nation's Firemen in there 30s and 40s that are still fit in weight size and able to pick up the weight to carry a person, that is not to say that america does not have physical standards in some departments, it depends on the department.

I seen rookies in some departments that are over weight when they join the crew the first time.

Honestly the US standards for fitness rules for SOME departments have been relaxed...

I'm proud of Departments that are still strict with there fitness rules.

I'm saying some of Departments need to look better care with themselves.

Yea most of Americans don't like to be out of shape at all when they are doing something like firefighting. Me personally like to train every week and work out all the time. Its will be my career one day and i know i will be good at what i do. I mean just look at me lol

I'm glad you and your Departments that thinks that fitness is a good need for them. When you join?

I wish other departments are like that. I hope that the older Firemen are not to bad in shape?

Yea most of americans dont like to be out of shape at all when they are doing something like firefighting. Me personally like to train everyweek and work out all the time. Its will be my career one day and i know i will be good at what i do. I mean just look at me lol

Dude, you can't be more than like 18... :P

Guest HPVFD236

Im 17 first off and yea thats why is an orange helmet. BUT @commander, yes there are overweight firemen here in USA, but most of the overweight firemen are drivers and pump operators, NOT mask men. And then again, USA is the "fattest" country in the world since a certain high percentage of americans are over weight. Look at this dude.. hes just lazy, and aint american

RelaxedFireman.jpg

Im 17 first off and yea thats why is an orange helmet. BUT @commander, yes there are overweight firemen here in USA, but most of the overweight firemen are drivers and pump operators, NOT mask men. And then again, USA is the "fattest" country in the world since a certain high percentage of americans are over weight. Look at this dude.. hes just lazy, and aint american

That's a joke picture... We don't know why it was made and I bet he doesn't do that all the time. Plus I don't think he is over weight.

Guest HPVFD236

i didnt say he was overweight, and i doubt thats a joke since there are more than one handline going. Not all americans are overweight and neither are most firemen.

@Fort, What do you mean Fire Explorer?

you can talk, no one is perfect and it just so happens we still get the job done just as good as the rest of the world and the US may have the largest percentage because we have a large amount of departments across the country, i know of most paid fire departments that have very strict physical standards and as for volunteering, beggars cant be choosers...we need all the help we can get, just gotta use your head as to who you send in...my fire company has a few large guys and they drive and pump thats it ...us young physically fit guys go in

Too lazy to rewrite quote.

I wish to be clear on what I mean... I meant SOME of the departments and SOME of the firemen... I meant in no way to imply it was all of america...

Not all departments see this as a problem...

This been growing problem since Americans are having weight problems from the food we eat.

Yes, I had to rewrite this one too! Yippie fer me=(

Because we all problems in every country.... Even the ones you live in... We are not perfect.

People hate problems... If you never see your problem then you can't fix them.

Like how many people don't like the president or hate the wars. In free societies, people have the rights to say what they think or have study but with that right comes a level of responsibility to be mature and civil with your discussions.

Removed the crap above this and altered the words as necessary to be more diplomatic.....