Guest Panicxz

What happened to the powercall?

Actually there is allot of FDNY apparatus with Q sirens they can't buy them anymore because federal stopped making them but you just take them off the truck you are replacing. I love the powercall my local department uses the power call in the chiefs vehicle and the BC vehicle. I made my own version for my game it has the Q, Air horns, R6 Power Call, R6 Air Horn, 6 Adam, Hyperyelp and the 6 baker.

wrong Federal Signal never stopped making the Q they still sell them and they also make a EQ2B witch is the same thing but it uses a reagular siren speaker.

also in georgia (USA) our ambulances have the same siren sounds(EQ2B) as fire trucks.

I would know I build ambulances and fire trucks.

Guest daanvlek

To get back to the question of the illegality of the powercall siren:

its not so much illegal as not approved by CHP

they set the requirements for going code 3 i.e. the 1 steady forward facing red light, what sirens are approved and such

'

from a study regarding sirens: http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181622.pdf

Manufacturers sell siren systems that produce sounds in addition to the wail and yelp, such as the

hi-lo, hyper-yelp, pulsar, phaser, simulated air horn, etc. However, CCR Title 13, the GSA KSpecification,

and SAE J1849 provide performance requirements for wail and yelp only. Other

sounds are not required to be tested, even if they are produced by a siren system. Siren sounds

other than wail and yelp are actually prohibited by CCR Title 13 from being included with siren

systems in California.

note CCR: California code of regulations.

So basicly, the state prohibits it.

Regards, Daniël

edit: found the text in the CCR13 itself:

§ 1028. Performance Requirements.

(a) Siren Functions. Electronic sirens shall have a wail function and

may also have manual and yelp functions. No other function is permitted

on sirens sold after January 1, 1982. except for voice communication.

Guest EvanM07

OK from what I understand some of you are mislead in your info.... Powercall may be illegal in california but there is no way in heck that the priority siren is... the last 8-10 times I have seen an LAPD car bust past me going code 3 they were using the priority siren through the intersection.

LAPD uses Federal Signal Smart Sirens (SS2000SM) which has the Wail, Yelp, Hi-Lo, Priority, Air Horn, and PA. All of which are programmable in different configurations.

USA Sirens: There built to scare the sh*t out of someone, and for good reason. Most people eat and drive, or talk on their cell phones and you need to move them. Ah, good ole Q.

Netherlands/Dutch: I'm not sure the Ice Cream van's are happy you stole there ring tones. I can understand 3 and 4 tone sirens people are use to them, and their annoying as hell.

Personally I don't like them. That's me though.

I hate to go off topic here too much, but that really is incorrect.

Fire engines have a two tone sirene (low, lower), Ambulances use a three tone sirene (you hear four notes, but the second and the last note are the same tone) and police cars have a two tone sirene (high, low). A 4 tone sirene isn't allowed in the Netherlands. Only two tone and three tone horns are allowed (check the WegenVerkeersWet 1994).

I can understand 3 and 4 tone sirens people are use to them, and their annoying as hell.

Personally I don't like them. That's me though.

Read before posting: there are no 4 tone sirens in the Netherlands. Their not allowed.

By the way: starting the first of march all sirens are going to be replaced with a louder two tone model. So the three tone will deisappear as well in the future.

Shall we get back to topic: if powercall sirens are or aren't allowed in LA

Thnx,

Shall we get back to topic: if powercall sirens are or aren't allowed in LA

They're not allowed. I got that first hand from Mikesphotos, who lives and works in LA as a firefighter.

In any case, they don't use them in Los Angeles.

Discussion closed.

Hoppah