dbeehler

Adding army mod cars to la mod

i am trying to make a War Mod, my friends like to just call in police and military and go to war. i had an idea to take mods from the army mod and put them in LA, but i am having so much trouble.

i have installed other cars before but this isnt working at all. the prototypes isnt even working. if anyone has any idea please help!

i have to the best of my abilities but it isnt working, even the prototypes arent working, i dont know what is wrong?

i know the prototypes dont work because they are installed but they dont work in the editor

Yes. If you created new prototypes (to prevent errors with scripts) and followed the process of the adding vehicles in the tutorials sections, that would put it in

You essentially have to copy the models and textures over into the existing mod, then create new prototypes from the ground-up within the existing mod that you want to put them into, once you create the protos you have to link the protos to the models you imported from the army mod.  If that is done correctly they will display properly within the existing mod in the editor (la in this case). To actually get them working beyond the basic default game units will take extensive script alterations to incorporate the new vehicles into la 100% functional. For even basic functional units you're going to have to edit a few files (found in the adding vehicles tutorial).  If you're intentions are to copy features from army over to LA in some instances, that simply won't work because the differences in how the two mods are designed. 

You essentially have to copy the models and textures over into the existing mod, then create new prototypes from the ground-up within the existing mod that you want to put them into, once you create the protos you have to link the protos to the models you imported from the army mod.  If that is done correctly they will display properly within the existing mod in the editor (la in this case). To actually get them working beyond the basic default game units will take extensive script alterations to incorporate the new vehicles into la 100% functional. For even basic functional units you're going to have to edit a few files (found in the adding vehicles tutorial).  If you're intentions are to copy features from army over to LA in some instances, that simply won't work because the differences in how the two mods are designed. 

all i want are the vechicles and units, can i not just copy them over and edit the correct files?

That is kind of the problem, some of the things (like commands/dummies) are specific to features within the us army mod.  You would have to figure out which ones are running from the mission script and remove those commands to ensure no problems, and you would have to adapt any of the other scripts if you wished to pull them over..

You can try to just copy them over, but it will involve some serious trial and error to get around the almost-certain crashes that will result until you remove the "custom" commands that the vehicles have.  The prototypes would also have to be updated to reflect the new folder structure, along with the unit files, etc.  It isnt as simple as just copying and pasting unfortunately, but you are more than welcome to try.  Just understand we're not being harsh with you, I understand what you want to do, but it's a good bit of work (thank the devs for that, not the mod makers) and you have to be extremely cautious about not making any mistakes in the scripts/files when you alter them as one simple error can cause a crash.

If you've added vehicles before, then in theory this would not be too painful for you.  But I would suggest cloning an existing la mod vehicle and replacing the model parts for it rather than trying to direct-copy it if you were to try to do it... It'll save you some time/effort and hopefully make the script changes less painful.  Trying to take em from army to LA proto's and all is just too many places where things can go wrong imo.

Since you have been able to add cars into LA mod, I am assuming you already know the basics such as editing all the necessary xml files, and adding personel, making them appear in the menu, and also making them spawn in freeplay and missions.

Mikey's advice of cloning vehicles is the best route you can take. The best vehicle to use as a clone is the Army Hummer in the LA Mod. Simply clone it over first. Then edit the "new" prototype and assign its model to the desired model from the US Army mod. The wheels and doors will also have to be constructed again by you, and each of those prototypes need to be pointed to the correct model file.

Next step would be lights, which are not an issue. Then the traits and physics as well afterwards. Last step would be editing all required xml files and creating a units folder for the new unit(s).

Most vehicles can be put into the LA mod without any script alterations, but you will be missing certain commands from them. For example, you will not be able to get any weapons (M4, PSG1, MP5, etc) or custom equipment (ballistic shield, barricade) from the new vehilcles without making any script alterations to the LA mod.

The LA mod I believe has some commands for the Army units such as the fast roping command for the Blackhawk. That is another specific script that would need to be edited should you wish to give functionality to any helicopter you may be adding into LA from USAM.

Personel units are pretty much the same procedure as vehicles. Take existing prototype, clone it, and assign the USAM person model to the prototype. Note that the game will crash when loading the person model the first time. It will not crash ever again afterwards.

Since you have been able to add cars into LA mod, I am assuming you already know the basics such as editing all the necessary xml files, and adding personel, making them appear in the menu, and also making them spawn in freeplay and missions.

Mikey's advice of cloning vehicles is the best route you can take. The best vehicle to use as a clone is the Army Hummer in the LA Mod. Simply clone it over first. Then edit the "new" prototype and assign its model to the desired model from the US Army mod. The wheels and doors will also have to be constructed again by you, and each of those prototypes need to be pointed to the correct model file.

Next step would be lights, which are not an issue. Then the traits and physics as well afterwards. Last step would be editing all required xml files and creating a units folder for the new unit(s).

Most vehicles can be put into the LA mod without any script alterations, but you will be missing certain commands from them. For example, you will not be able to get any weapons (M4, PSG1, MP5, etc) or custom equipment (ballistic shield, barricade) from the new vehilcles without making any script alterations to the LA mod.

The LA mod I believe has some commands for the Army units such as the fast roping command for the Blackhawk. That is another specific script that would need to be edited should you wish to give functionality to any helicopter you may be adding into LA from USAM.

Personel units are pretty much the same procedure as vehicles. Take existing prototype, clone it, and assign the USAM person model to the prototype. Note that the game will crash when loading the person model the first time. It will not crash ever again afterwards.

thank you, i will try this later today. i will report back later :D