Pottyscotty

How could I improve quality of map texture?

Of course with everything, when you reduce the size of an image/texture, it will reduce in quality. I'm currently trying to do a part of a map texture, I am using an image I got online, I put it onto my map texture and I size it down to be the correct scale. The image blurs as expected.

The method that I thought you use to make it look better and more sharp was the sharpen tool (Found in most image editors), however although this did make it sharper, it still doesn't look right. Am I missing a step or have I gone the wrong way around it?

Map textures are my weakest skill, so I do not have the qualifications to give a solid answer, but I'll share anyway:

Cheat method that Em4 developers used: DetailPolys feature in the editor. Allows you to lay down an overlay texture on top of the map texture just to give it additional crispiness and detail. Its pretty much the same as laying down VO's or liquids in the editor. This is the easiest method if you do not wish to have to redo all of your texture.

Second point is replacing the existing texture with something that is "seamless" and layering it over/under depending on how you need it. To make seamless textures work, you only need to copy it and then run it across the length, width, or height that you desire.

Cheat method that Em4 developers used: DetailPolys feature in the editor. Allows you to lay down an overlay texture on top of the map texture just to give it additional crispiness and detail. Its pretty much the same as laying down VO's or liquids in the editor. This is the easiest method if you do not wish to have to redo all of your texture.

Second point is replacing the existing texture with something that is "seamless" and layering it over/under depending on how you need it. To make seamless textures work, you only need to copy it and then run it across the length, width, or height that you desire.

I was thinking of using that feature but even comparing to the original map texture, theirs are a lot sharper than mine. 

The texture I am using is a seamless one but the problem I have is that they are small bricks, hence why I need to make it so small. The ones from normal EM4 are huge compared to what I wanted, I even tried scaling theirs down but same problem.

I believe the original textures are available for download on the site. There was also somebody on the German forums who made Photoshop motives of the original textures, so you could slap them on using a brush for example. I don't know how to use Photoshop at all, so this may be incorrect.

It'll be the same quality but just use tricks like creating false shadows and making things look like they're 3D eg pavement (sidewalk) so the texture doesn't look as flat.

I spent a long time gradually working on map textures trying to improve them. My first were very flat but using overlays and the tips mentioned above my newer maps look a lot sharper even though they actually are the same quality.

I believe the original textures are available for download on the site. There was also somebody on the German forums who made Photoshop motives of the original textures, so you could slap them on using a brush for example. I don't know how to use Photoshop at all, so this may be incorrect.

It'll be the same quality but just use tricks like creating false shadows and making things look like they're 3D eg pavement (sidewalk) so the texture doesn't look as flat.

I spent a long time gradually working on map textures trying to improve them. My first were very flat but using overlays and the tips mentioned above my newer maps look a lot sharper even though they actually are the same quality.

Thank you to both, I'll try some bits and see how it comes out. I'll also look around for those texture packages, I think I've seen them too.

Use multi-layers in the paint app you use to try to enhance crispness.. The problem with an underlayed image is that the thing will blur when scaled down, this is natural (and a one-way trip).  That being said, you can use multiple layers to give the illusion of crispness in the texture file, then flatten all the layers when the project is done.  What I find a good tactic for doing such things is to use a transparent layer and to add detail with an airbrush set to speckle the transparent layer with colors that are similar to the underlying texture.. It helps to add some "sharpness" to the underlying grass/dirt without overdoing it.. You can do the same thing to simulate things such as shadows being cast, bumpiness that was not present on the original texture, rock speckling (gravel) without it being pure gravel.. All up to you and playing around with the layers and different opacity levels for each to figure out what looks the best from a distance and zoomed in upon it.

Use multi-layers in the paint app you use to try to enhance crispness.. The problem with an underlayed image is that the thing will blur when scaled down, this is natural (and a one-way trip). That being said, you can use multiple layers to give the illusion of crispness in the texture file, then flatten all the layers when the project is done. What I find a good tactic for doing such things is to use a transparent layer and to add detail with an airbrush set to speckle the transparent layer with colors that are similar to the underlying texture.. It helps to add some "sharpness" to the underlying grass/dirt without overdoing it.. You can do the same thing to simulate things such as shadows being cast, bumpiness that was not present on the original texture, rock speckling (gravel) without it being pure gravel.. All up to you and playing around with the layers and different opacity levels for each to figure out what looks the best from a distance and zoomed in upon it.

Yeah I second this mikey has gone into far more detail but yeah the use of multi layers and overlays helps make the texture more believable and less 2D