Cadillac9998

NJ/ Monmouth County Modification

I noticed a lot of alpha bleeding in some of the textures, look up tutorials alpha channels and how to work with them. In the long run they are going to be your best friend once you start working with masks and what not. But it is definitely a start, looking forward to see your progress

I noticed a lot of alpha bleeding in some of the textures, look up tutorials alpha channels and how to work with them. In the long run they are going to be your best friend once you start working with masks and what not. But it is definitely a start, looking forward to see your progress

Its an unfortunate effect of using .dds textures. png and jpg dont bleed, but eat more memory and have greater filesizes.

.dds compresses the textures when saved and depending on the type of compression, you'll have more or less bleeding, but there will always be bleeding.

Em4 actually blurs the textures a bit when ingame or in the editor. It does that to improve performance, so the smudgey appearance gets worse when ingame.

Its an unfortunate effect of using .dds textures. png and jpg dont bleed, but eat more memory and have greater filesizes.

.dds compresses the textures when saved and depending on the type of compression, you'll have more or less bleeding, but there will always be bleeding.

Em4 actually blurs the textures a bit when ingame or in the editor. It does that to improve performance, so the smudgey appearance gets worse when ingame.

If I were to take Hoppah's .dds textures from LA Mod and convert them to a .png, would that help clean them up a bit, or does that have to be done beforehand?

If I were to take Hoppah's .dds textures from LA Mod and convert them to a .png, would that help clean them up a bit, or does that have to be done beforehand?

Once they become .dds, they're smudged forever. Only the person with the original copy has original quality.

Dam :(

Here's some context. My LA mod vehicles uses an HD skin for the LA mod Charger. Resizing the dds made it far worse, so I decided to create a new layer and trace over the important bits.

If you're planning on doing skin fixes, the best way to do it is to double the resolution of the texture, then save it as a .png. Only then should you start cleaning up stuff. Then lastly assign the model(s) to use the new .png texture. Then your all set.

Once something becomes a DDS your only option is to go through and repair the quality loss manually unless you happen to have the original texture backed up somewhere.  With other formats as itch mentioned (though he left out bmp) they don't see the compression loss on the actual texture, only from what the game does real-time as an effort to adjust performance of the game.  The original texture when left in alternative format to DDS remains as it was originally unless you resize it.  As a rule though, up-scaling a texture has no impact what so ever on quality of it, at least until you go through and enhance it after an up-scaling.  If a texture starts out as 256x and is raised to 1024, it is larger but just as blurred as the original one is.. The truth is that it is quite easy to down-scale a texture if you so desire to improve performance, but doing the reverse pretty much leaves you starting over replacing details that were lost when it was scaled down by the original authors, so if you're going to scale up on a texture be prepared to invest a great bit of time in restoring the detail to the texture that was lost in the original scale.

Even though both dds and jpeg have compression capabilities, when set to 0% compression on jpeg it retains the original quality when converting to that format, dds even when set to 0% compression tends to lose some quality in the process of the conversion to that format, on top of not having much effect on file size. Alternative format options including bmp and png do not have the quality losses, but bmp is by far the largest format that I have experienced, thus I use png instead, it doesnt screw up the quality of the end-product in the formatting and is a relatively decent balance when it  comes to file size.

As to the author of the topic, please try to keep your posts together, you had 3 in a row, one was content update so that one we'd let slide, but the other two were question-oriented and could have been done in the same post, in the future use the edit button found on the bottom right of your post for things like that.

You use windows 8/10, chances are an update failed along the way causing it to get stuck in this boot loop, depending on who made your pc requires different steps.. But your ultimate goal is to try to "refresh" your computer (not a full-blown system restore) and see if that fixes whichever of the system files got broken from whatever you updated/did.  You will lose your installed apps in this process, but not the physical files installed on the hdd, so it's a good option if it's stuck in the boot-loop bs.  Check around for your specific pc (namely the manuf. of the thing) and find out what keystrokes you have to do to force the system into the diagnostics options so you can perform a refresh of the system and hopefully fix the broken windows files.