K9 police 9

What / how would 1 skin texture for emergency 4 mods

Hi 

Wondering What  would 1 need / how would 1 skin texture  emergency 4 mods   I am not totally new at this I skin / texture in gta 4 using gimp

Thnkz

Hello and velcomme well what you will skin it.s mods or normal em emergency car 

I am Using Paint.net it.s very good to do that.s - i can help you ?

I'll give you a quick walkthrough, but if you look in our Tutorials section, it's much more detailed. 

Say for instance you want to reskin the lapd_cv model in the LA mod (a popular reskinned model), you would go into the mod folder, under the folder Models, and find the corresponding image file. This would be lapd_cv.dds or something similar. You'll need something that can open dds files, but then you should be able to skin it as desired. 

I won't get into the specifics on that, but when you're finished, save the file, and you're done. Reskin completed.

I'll give you a quick walkthrough, but if you look in our Tutorials section, it's much more detailed. 

Say for instance you want to reskin the lapd_cv model in the LA mod (a popular reskinned model), you would go into the mod folder, under the folder Models, and find the corresponding image file. This would be lapd_cv.dds or something similar. You'll need something that can open dds files, but then you should be able to skin it as desired. 

I won't get into the specifics on that, but when you're finished, save the file, and you're done. Reskin completed.

kk thnkz so something like gimp would work ?  its what I use in gta4

Yup! I skin GTA SA primarily and it's the same process - as far as the actual skinning. Getting the texture file and installing it is different, though. This post helped me out a lot, and if you have any issues with dds conversion, try doing conversion/renaming files *outside* of the \Program Files\...\Emergency 4 directory. 

Also going off of what ThatOneIown and others have said, some DDS files (most from the LA mod) have been packed, which means you can't open them in paint.net, gimp or photoshop until you "unlock" them. Easiest way to show you is to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeEfoqSKTa8

EDIT: ThatOneIown covered it with that link to the topic.

[snip]

EDIT: ThatOneIown covered it with that link to the topic.

Not fully, that video would probably explain it the best - I was just mentioning that sometimes editing files directly out of the Program Files folder can be tricky and useless at best. Good addition Bill lol, I didn't think about the actual unpacking method, just if the OP had difficulties.