medicnick83

Are you in EMS?

Hi all,

Curious!

Whom here is actually employed/volunteer in EMS? (Be it Fire services, Ambulance or Police)

Me personally, I'm a "Intermediate" (ILS/AEA) in the Department of Health: EMS in Cape Town, South Africa - we are also known as "Metro EMS" but it seems they want to 'drop' the "Metro" part.

See attached photos for what our uniform, ambulances look like and our badge.

post-59588-0-83005300-1418468152_thumb.j

post-59588-0-20146100-1418468169_thumb.j

post-59588-0-80741300-1418468254_thumb.j

Yes. I'm an EMT (BLS) in California. I work for one of the largest ambulance companies in the country. I run emergency calls every now and then but these days I mostly just transfer people from facility to facility since I am a part time employee.

Yes. I'm an EMT (BLS) in California. I work for one of the largest ambulance companies in the country. I run emergency calls every now and then but these days I mostly just transfer people from facility to facility since I am a part time employee.

Oh boy dude... I'd hate to do that... I can't DEAL doing IHT's all day (Inter hospital transfers)

In South Africa, we have a 'division' for those type of calls though, IMO, they are lazy buggers! We call the service "HealthNET" or "Health Non Emergency Transfers" and the vehicles are called "Tango's" (Basically doing IHT's of walking patients etc)

I don't hold a medical field (EMT, EMR, Paramedic, etc), however, I do operate with my local volunteer fire department which provides a medical team to the regular fire response area, as our fire response area is very rural, and we are able to arrive on scene and give care to patients before the ambulance can get on scene. We have to undergo an actual medical basics course which provides us with the basics to perform a successful job in order to respond with the medical team.

It also allows us to provide vital information to the EMS crews responding, such as BP, O2 Sat, etc.

I am currently in Medic school in Southern California. I was a firefighter/EMT in Colorado for 4 years and now I work with the Forest Service in Socal. So yeah Ive been in some interesting spots in the past and seen a lot of fire the last 2 years summers as well.

Thank all of you for your service. I'd love to be in the FD, but I don't think I could do EMS.

I have Trypanophobia (Fear of injections), and I throw up every single time I get a shot. I HATE needles.

I don't think I could do that to someone, as I.Vs are one of my worst nightmares. Lol.

Anyways, thank you guys for doing what you do. :)

Thank all of you for your service. I'd love to be in the FD, but I don't think I could do EMS.

I have Trypanophobia (Fear of injections), and I throw up every single time I get a shot. I HATE needles.

I don't think I could do that to someone, as I.Vs are one of my worst nightmares. Lol.

Anyways, thank you guys for doing what you do. :)

yah would advise you not to if you puck from an Iv, I don't want to know what you'd do when you have 2 people's guts spread over a highway, a third impaled on his car convertible windshield and a mother and child stuck in their car( both got away with only scraps and bruises ) thank god!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

yah would advise you not to if you puck from an Iv, I don't want to know what you'd do when you have 2 people's guts spread over a highway, a third impaled on his car convertible windshield and a mother and child stuck in their car( both got away with only scraps and bruises ) thank god!

I don't wanna know what i'd do, either.

Ive been on a fairly busy engine company (2200 runs a year... about 55% EMS) in Monroe County NY for the past 4 1/2 years. been an EMT for 3. Were a non-transport agency though... so while we respond on all priority 1 and 2 jobs in the area, we dont actually do to much when we get there as long as the person has no immediate life risks.... just stabilize and help the ambulance with lifting/packaging... We only have 2 ambulances in town, so between our district and neighboring districts in town limits they get tied up sometimes and we end up waiting for a commercial rig to come from the hospital... then we end up doing the bulk of pt care because of the delay.

EMTs cannot initiate IVs here.

The skill level of each of the levels of prehospital healthcare provider (in some places up to 5 or 6 levels) varies by state. For instance, here in South Carolina, the state officially recognizes three levels:

Emergency Medical Technician

Emergency Medical Technician-Advanced

Paramedic

The chief difference between the EMT and EMT-A is that an EMT-A can initiate IVs and give a range of drugs. The chief difference between EMT-A and paramedics are that paramedics are able to give a wider range of drugs, including morphine and other narcotics, as well as interpret EKG strips and manually defibrillate.

That being said, many fire departments in the state run first responders, who, depending on the department, may be anywhere from First Responder-certified to Paramedic certified.

Doubt it.

They snuck in aspirin for cardiac chest pain and pulse oximetry last year...but the fact that it's taken this long to put them in doesn't bode well for future changes.

Also, what's the point? Just like aspirin and pulse oximetry, just because it's in the scope doesn't mean we'll carry it on the ambulance or fire engine. It's all a de facto ALS skill.

I mean for crying out loud, most ambulances don't even carry AEDs here.

So do we, but it's because we provide 911 service. The only companies that carry AEDs are the ones with 911 contracts. All the other companies only provide transport between medical facilities and are not emergent.

The State and County makes companies jump through so many hoops to deploy and keep AEDs that the ambulance companies that don't provide emergency service can't justify the time, money and effort to put together an AED program.

Also note that AED does not equal Cardiac Monitor/Defibrillator. AEDs are used by low level providers (BLS and lower). Cardiac monitor/defibrillators are used by Paramedics only and are a required item in the ALS inventory.

As a European I can't get my head around how the US has all the different laws and regulations in the different states. It just seems confusing to me. In the Netherlands, all PD, FD and EMS vehicles have an AED on board and all our ambulances are manned by a driver and a nurse (Paramedic) who can perform most medical procedures. Which just seems to make it all a lot easier.