ses

road crash rescue unit accreditation

Hi guys.

This friday the 02/05/2014 our unit has a rcr accreditation.

this is for us to prove to the state government that we can do the work and keep our accreditation for our unit.

i was wondering do other services overseas that do rcr work have to have an accreditation once every 5 years or so?

cheers

kevin

over here for the state emergency service or the fire service (mfb or cfa)

we have to an acreditation to prove that members know how to use the jaws of life and associated tools.

Fred03 and Newfoundking so what do the emergency services do where you are to get the qualifications and use the "jaws of life"

here is a little reading on what happens here in the great OZ

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO816AvmFTuB4Al1UL5gt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNzhwY2hkBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1398943489/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.oesc.vic.gov.au%2fresources%2f5362c2ba-3119-497d-a611-a5a13a1452cd%2froad%252Brescue%252Barrangements%252Bvictoria%252B2010.pdf/RK=0/RS=RlfanUCTxQos9kdaw4Mq9eiW2dc-

http://www.oesc.vic.gov.au/resources/5362c2ba-3119-497d-a611-a5a13a1452cd/road%2Brescue%2Barrangements%2Bvictoria%2B2010.pdf

With us it was always in the training records.  So if the government. Crown or defense council came in and was like, when was your last practice on this, the training officer could pull it up and say this FF was trained on this date and did a follow up on these dates.

I would say that it would probably be similar in most American/Canadian situations.

With us it was always in the training records.  So if the government. Crown or defense council came in and was like, when was your last practice on this, the training officer could pull it up and say this FF was trained on this date and did a follow up on these dates.

I would say that it would probably be similar in most American/Canadian situations.

but does the service that does the rescue work have to be accreditted to continue their rescue work ?

With my little rural department you get in house training on everything, for more you go take a "vehicle extrication" training course. We don't have any certifications besides Federal First Responder, Firefighter I&II, EMT & Paramedic and Awareness and Ops for our emergency workers, some choose to get extra training in different areas and you get a fancy little certificate from the course provider but the they aren't from the state.

mmmmm interesting Fred03.

i wonder if techniques from australia and usa vary alot or a little?

so basically the unit itself does need to be accredited and an authorised unit over there as they do here,as long as the members are trained, all is good.

maybe we have to much red tape here lol

but what it comes down to here is lawsuits that why we have so many rules and acreditations for extrications as we are starting to see alot of attempted lawsuits going through the judicial system because someone says " my friend died because it took to long to get them out" and want to sue

Here the department, once you're hired on, and meet the basic requirements maintains the training needed to keep you as a firefighter. There's no accreditation process that the department has to go through, as it's a public, government department, so they just basically meet the requirements set by the government (which is usually chosen by the department)

In Maryland you don't receive any official training on extrication tools until you enter either Firefighter II or a Rescue Technician: Vehicle Machinery Extrication. Firefighter II provides you general concepts and the basics. VMRT as they call it the in depth training following ifsta training standards.That course also requires you take a prior course on site operations (ropes, and rigging systems). After that it up to the agency and the member to maintain their craft. You do however have to annual prove your equipment meets the standards for the services you claim they provide and their unit classification. Most agencies will also ensure some sort of a yearly refresher. we make sure we cut up a few cars during training every year. We usually do between 1-3 actual extrication's a month, in our busier summer months we can run that many in a day.

In Pennsylvania there was some sort of official accreditation system and a required course set. There were also requirements on your equipment carried. I don't know much of the details on it though.

Here in SC, we use National Fire Protection Association training standards.  Firefighter I and IIs are capable of assisting with extrication, but not actually doing it, EXCEPT for the act of popping a door with a Halligan.  That's a FF1 skill.  However, Basic Automobile Extrication teaches you a few basic things about extrication such as using spreaders and cutters, etc.  There is also Advanced Auto Ex and Auto Ex Technician.  I'm not sure what specifically they entail, but I plan on going all the way to Technician Instructor.

Here in SC, we use National Fire Protection Association training standards.  Firefighter I and IIs are capable of assisting with extrication, but not actually doing it, EXCEPT for the act of popping a door with a Halligan.  That's a FF1 skill.  However, Basic Automobile Extrication teaches you a few basic things about extrication such as using spreaders and cutters, etc.  There is also Advanced Auto Ex and Auto Ex Technician.  I'm not sure what specifically they entail, but I plan on going all the way to Technician Instructor.

When I took Firefighter I&II we were taught vehicle extrication (cutters, spreaders, rams all that stuff)... Its part of the NFPA requirements for FF2.