youdotoo

us emergency lights and sirens

Hey, does anyone have any recommended brands for external lights and sirens?

Although the big name brands, like FedSig, Whelen, and Code3 are more expensive than some of the other unknown brands, you're generally paying for quality. Look for something made in NA and that sorta thing. If it doesn't do a lot about technical specs and where it's made, it's generally not a good one to trust

I have a Whelen (its internal though) that I like, you can shop around though and find almost the exact same thing, often for much cheaper but you aren't always assured of quality. I've found that Amazon is your friend and Ebay is not when it comes to shopping for lights, and Galls is overpriced, Sirennet is cheaper. As for sirens mine came from hornblasters, they have some decent ones for cheaper even if they aren't marketed as "emergency equipment", once again check Amazon first.
What sort of light/siren setup are you looking for?

Have you asked around your (I assume) department? Often other folks will know of a good place to get that stuff or even have some to sell. The one word of warning I can give you is that on Amazon their are packages of lights (small LEDs, see picture) that are good for extra lighting but are not bright enough to work as primary lights so I wouldn't get them event though they are cheap. In general beware of anything too cheap, if its too good to be true it probably is.

And if a full lightbar is out of budget mini lightbars are a good option. One of the guys buy me has a mini lightbar and it works really good, its a lot more discreet than a full bar too...

71cbcbzWJFL._SL1500_.jpg

I don't care about being discrete with the light bar. Lol, my car needs to be seen. 

Very true, my car can be seen from quite a ways as soon as I turn on my lights, however you DON'T want to be mistaken for a cop. People don't like cops, you could end up with your tires slashed or your door keyed, and besides people will slow down around you when you are in a hurry.

Lol, that can be solved with my FD's Emblem. Also, I live in a rural area anyways. 

Just don't end up like one of those guys (sometimes called wackers) who have $1000 worth of lights on a $500 car. The lights are just another tool, they shouldn't be a status thing, however in many departments they are.

Well, my truck if worth a lot more than a $500. I am not going to over do it like my friend did though. 

fire_zps27603365.png

He is a EMT.  I am thinking about getting a degree in Fire Protection Technology. 

Meh, unless you're going to go work for Pierce or something like that you don't need a degree. If you can get Firefighter I&II, Awareness & Operations and EMT you will be pretty much set for employment with any fire department in America. Certainly the most qualified guy on the average volunteer department.

For the most part, I want the degree to help complement my programming degree.