salvador.c

Radio Scanner

To me it just seems wrong to listen to scanners, when you listen to somethings happen on the scanner you are noising into a family's personal tragedy. Basically you have no need to know so why snoop? And sometimes some pretty nasty things have to be said over the radio, things the public doesn't need to hear.

To me it just seems wrong to listen to scanners, when you listen to somethings happen on the scanner you are noising into a family's personal tragedy. Basically you have no need to know so why snoop? And sometimes some pretty nasty things have to be said over the radio, things the public doesn't need to hear.

You call it snooping, I call it being a concerned citizen. I also call it entertainment to some extent depending on the call. For example if I heard this( https://www.emergency-planet.com/photo.php?v=633673356691631 ) go out on the radio I would die laughing. Another example, my roommate has a 3 year old, and if I had been living with her at the time, I would want to know my ex-neighbor was busted for child pron. If that sick sob had ever pulled anything with her kid, shit would have hit the fan to say the least.

I don't support people listening into emergency calls at all. Only the people who are responding need to listen.

It's public domain unless its an encrypted channel.  Here, EMS is on encrypted channels and you have to have Palmetto 800 radios to be able to listen.  Fire, however, is not encrypted and anyone with a scanner can listen in.  For instance, the news guy covering this county has a scanner.  So does my granddad, who's a former firefighter.  I don't see anything wrong with listening in so long as the information isn't being used for criminal purposes.

I just don't see the need. I do understand the former firefighter, I know a guy like that and that's fine by me. Media is understandable, sometimes they can't wait around for press releases. However for most other people I just don't see the need, if you are that interested in the emergency services go down to the station and talk to the guys. The people that are really a problem are the ones that hear about things like that and go to the scene and get in the way, I know most aren't like that but a few bad apples... And I mean do you really NEED to listen in, is it improving your quality of life in any way?

I just don't see the need. I do understand the former firefighter, I know a guy like that and that's fine by me. Media is understandable, sometimes they can't wait around for press releases. However for most other people I just don't see the need, if you are that interested in the emergency services go down to the station and talk to the guys. The people that are really a problem are the ones that hear about things like that and go to the scene and get in the way, I know most aren't like that but a few bad apples... And I mean do you really NEED to listen in, is it improving your quality of life in any way?

Its true, there are always people who want to rubberneck around.