999madtom

Emergency scenario (What would you do?)

Okay. I'll have a go.

You're riding your bike in the forest when you hear cries of pain. You realize a 80 year old man is being mugged on his walk through the woods. The attacker clearly has what seems to be an illegal handgun, and is pointing it at the old man while at the same time hitting him and kicking him to the ground. The gun is possibly loaded, and it could be fake or real. What do you do?

Take into account you're 21-this man is 80. While you still have your whole life ahead of you, is such a big risk worth it?

Okay. I'll have a go.

You're riding your bike in the forest when you hear cries of pain. You realize a 80 year old man is being mugged on his walk through the woods. The attacker clearly has what seems to be an illegal handgun, and is pointing it at the old man while at the same time hitting him and kicking him to the ground. The gun is possibly loaded, and it could be fake or real. What do you do?

Take into account you're 21-this man is 80. While you still have your whole life ahead of you, is such a big risk worth it?

Taking account what I usually have with me, I have a 3-inch knife.  I'd bum-rush the guy with the gun and knock him down, then hold him at gunpoint, or if it's fake, at knifepoint until authorities arrive.

Taking account what I usually have with me, I have a 3-inch knife.  I'd bum-rush the guy with the gun and knock him down, then hold him at gunpoint, or if it's fake, at knifepoint until authorities arrive.

I sometimes carry around a pocket multi-tool since i never know when you might need it, but then i learnt carrying a weapon is potentially illegal.

Well obviously it's better to stay out of the situation as long as possible.
You don't know if he is going to stop hit the man and run from the location, so it's not necessary to take any risk by playing  hero and attack the offender, as it then may be 2 victims instead of 1.
My instinct on this one is to help of course, but i wouldn't take it so far that my own life is threatened.
Let's not forgot that the offender got a weapon aswell, so he got the upper hand on this one.
So i guess it depends of how i'm judging the situation and what i think is best suitable for it.

(Fire)

If your engine is called to a reported "house fire". When you arrive on scene there is no visible smoke. You and your squad knock on the door and an elderly man comes screaming at you to get off his property, there is no fire. What would you do? Do firefighter have the right to enter any building which has a report of a fire? What if the owner gets out a shotgun (legal) (US) and tells you to get off his property or he has the right to shoot. Would you need to call police backup?

No obvious signs of fire, so return to the truck and pull off the guy's property.  Park on the side of the main road with your lights going and confirm the address with Dispatch.  Once address has confirmed, check again for signs of visible fire.  If none, call it as a false alarm, inform Dispatch you were not allowed onto the property, and depart.

If we're still on his property and he pulls out the shotgun, make like a tree and leave.  If he persists as you're leaving, call for PD backup and continue your process of leaving.

You and your sargeant arrests a homeless person and sits him on a curb. The homeless person spits in your sargeants face. The sargeants been having a really bad day and punches him in the face then kicks him multiple times. Then the sargeant tells you "This is between us, think about telling anyone and say goodbye to your career"  What would you do?

Edit: More scenario

You pull over a car for noise complaints. Inside are 5 teenagers blasting their music inside the car. You knock on the window and they look at you, but pretends not to notice and remains in the car. What would you do?

1)Report him to a higher authority, preferably a captain or a chief-level officer.

2)Knock on the window again.  Repeat once more.  If they still don't reply, take down the tags, make, and model.  Mail the ticket to them.  This is providing that you've already had Dispatch check to make sure the car wasn't stolen.

@handsup its not potentionally illegal if your caught your facing possesion of an offensive weapon

When i said potentially illegal i guess i should of said potentially prosecutable, stupid choice of words.

For that sergeant one with the beating i'd sell the story to the now defunct News of the World and make millions. No, i'd just report it to the whoever commanded the sergeant.

Your the head of dispach of a UK police force. One of the dispacher's ask you for advice. There is a guy who has murdered two people in a shop in a large town.The suspect is on the run. Who would you dispach/do.

British equivalent of an APB on the suspect, tell people in the area to stay home and lock doors via news etc. Send a team of SOCOS, and police officers. Once they're done get PCSOs to guard the area. If a civilian or unarmed officers finds the suspect, evacuate the area and dispatch some Trojan units if he is moderately armed, SCO19 if he has a larger illegal weapon.

The reason I did this is because it is similar to what happend where I live they: Closed the road and got all the police outside the shop and then got basicly most of the poice force in my area patroling. The suspect got caught. Hiding in a bush near a tire shop (a few hundred meters from my house) the owner was opening up and saw a guy in a bush and flagged down a police motorcycilst. The police officer called for assistance and jumped on the suspect.

Fire: Your on a way to a call (A fire truck roll, and your mate is trapped) and you see a house on fire.

What would you do?

The reason I did this is because it is similar to what happend where I live they: Closed the road and got all the police outside the shop and then got basicly most of the poice force in my area patroling. The suspect got caught. Hiding in a bush near a tire shop (a few hundred meters from my house) the owner was opening up and saw a guy in a bush and flagged down a police motorcycilst. The police officer called for assistance and jumped on the suspect.

Fire: Your on a way to a call (A fire truck roll, and your mate is trapped) and you see a house on fire.

What would you do?

I would stop at the house and tell dispatch/control to send another unit to the first call and send more to my location for the fire.

Depends on what type of truck I'm in, what trucks are at/going to the MVC, and whether or not anyone's en route to the structure fire.

A UK normal fire engine. I don't know your equivlant of a UK fire engine is so I can't tell (just google (other search engines are avalible) it)

What would you do?

I would keep going to the MVA because that is where dispatch sent me, and let dispatch know about the fire.

A UK normal fire engine. I don't know your equivlant of a UK fire engine is so I can't tell (just google (other search engines are avalible) it)

Providing you mean a pumper like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_apparatus#Conventional_fire_apparatus

I'll stop at the fire and begin to render aid while advising Dispatch of the house fire and requesting an additional engine and a ladder.

(Your an off-duty officer and the strongest in your department)

Your walking down an alley and see your friend getting beat up by half dozen homeless people.

What would you do? Show badge and yell police? Run at them and fight? Call for help?