999madtom

Emergency scenario (What would you do?)

CALL 911

Fire: Find nearest point of egress and make sure women and children make it out before me, dont allow anyone to enter building.

Shooting: Dig in or run and hope not to get shot.

Medical Emergency: Render aid by following 4 life saving steps and lessons learned from combat life saving course.

Large scale disaster/attack: Run the other way.

Physical altercation: Knock out assailant or both parties, call police.

Here you go:

You are dispatched to a 1 vehicle MVA, rollover with 1 possibly entrapped. You arrive with a heavy resce, crew of 4, a engine company is 2 minutes out with a crew of 3.

You arrive to fine 1 confirmed entrapped. The vehicle (a 200 Ford Ranger) is on a slight embankment. The patient is alert and oriented but injured and very intoxicated.

Assuming the vehicle is on the roof: Update dispatch, and request PD shut down the road.

Address any critical fire hazards, stabilize the vehicle, preferably and air-shore(sp?) and chalks, cut power supply, take out windows, and try to make access and get c-spine,by crawling through a broken wind.Then update EMS on patient condition, possible need for aviation, etc... Then pop the doors, and place a KED, slide him onto a board using the slope to your advantage. Then package, transport, clean up any fluid or debris, and turn the scene over to PD.

Your you (easy). And you see a male in a hoodie on a bike cycling through a City/Town centre and he grabs an old woman's handbag and is making slow progress cycling. The old woman is trying to chase.

I would tell the old woman to stop chasing and pin him and phone the police. (My police station is just round the corner from the town centre.

Your a HART (http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?/topic/17878-hart-ambulance/) team leader. You here radio chatter of a unoffical major incident (Incident commander has not demeed it YET), 20 miles away. Then you here there is a guy who has fainted and hit his head, 1 mile away. All the ambulances in your area are busy. Where do you send your team?

I would sent 2 guys in the RRV to the guy and the Incident truck and me to the major incident.

If you're earwigging to radio chatter then you shouldn't be doing anything. I'd call dispatch and let them know that you have an RRV and an IRU able to respond and that the above is your suggestion. Also, 20 miles away for something that hasn't been called a major incident yet, I'd sit tight and wait for something official - no point charging halfway across the county for a damp squib that's the result of a miscommunication or similar.

The OC-D

If i were that HART team leader, I'd sit tight and respond to neither until official coms from EOC say otherwise. Would probably stick the kettle on :)