erfd

Norway Attacks

Minor update:

Atleast 91 dead, 84 of them are youths on a summercamp. As Alex said, one person is arrested and charged for both the bomb and the shootings. The police are looking for a possible second suspect that the kids on the island has given a description of, as they have said there was shootings at two locations on the island at the same time. The arrested man is norwegian and the second suspect was described as having a nordic look. This is looking like a clear case of domestic terrorism.

The bomb claimed 7 people, which could have been ALOT worse. The bomb went off between buildings housing alot of government offices. Luckily, most of the people working in the area was on holiday.

More info may yet come.

The Terrorist:

post-22865-0-31922100-1311420521.jpg

See picture

Name: Anders Behring Breivik

Nationality: Norwegian

Story: (copy from www.vg.no Norways most read newspaper)

At least 84 people are killed in a massacre at a youth camp only hours after a deadly bomb blast in central Oslo killing 7.

Anders Behring Breivik (32), a Norwegian citizen of Norwegian descent, was arrested after the two attacks.

It appears he is lined with with right-wing political activists but the motive for the two attacks is still unknown.

Late Friday on night police searched Breiviks apartment in Oslo. The 32-year-old man will be questioned by the police Saturday.

Youth camp

The first reports of the massacre on Utøya, an island about south-east of Oslo, came around 18.25 Friday.

According to a witness the gunman claimed to be a police officer offering help, before he opened fire and started killing people.

Nearly 700 young members of the Labour Party were on the island for an annual youth camp.

It took a while for the police to realise the full extent of the massacre. At a press conference Saturday morning, police confirms that at least 84 people are killed in the shootings on the island.

Some of the youth tried to swim to safety to escape the gunman.

The death toll may rise even more as rescue workers search the water around the island.

Yesterday police said they also found explosives in a car on the island.

Explosion

The shootings on Utøya came only hours after a bomb exploded outside a government building in central Oslo at 3.26 PM Friday.

The explosion killed at least seven people and further ten people are seriously injured in the blast, confirms police. So far only four people have been identified.

A man dressed as a police officer was also seen at this scene.

Surrounding buildings were affected by the massive explosion close to Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's office. He was not at his office at the time, and was not injured.

Several blocks around the bomb are still evacuated and people are asked to stay away from the city centre.

There are no numbers on the injured and missing person yet.

UPDATE:

VG.no reports that of the killed there may be kids all the way down to 7-8 years old.

Kids that were "employed" to pick up empty plastic bottles.

(Employment is not the exact word for that, they just picked up bottles and tok them to recycling.. (1kr = 1 small Bottle, 2.5kr = 1 large bottle))

This is what fear driven hate leads to. Fear of other cultures, other people. Did you guys (the Norwegians here) see facebook right after the attack? Before it was known that the guy was Norwegian? Mine started filling with anti-Islamic propaganda and pages. It is THAT fear, THAT hate; taken to an extreme of course, that made this guy do what he did.

I do love what our Prime Minister said though: "We will retaliate with more democracy." That one statement made me proud to be Norwegian, for the first time in a long time. We will strike back by being more democratic.

I take strength in those words, and in the words of Nordahl Grieg, in his poem "Til ungdommen". "Til ungdommen", with English translation.

UPDATE:

As to Norwegian Law he has been provided with a lawyer.

Even the lawyer did not want to represent him... But he has been hold to that "every person has the right to an attorney".

His lawyer has released some statements from the Terrorist:

- He has stated that it was cruel that he had to perform these actions, but in his mind it was necessary

- he acknowledged himself guilty

According to the defense attorney, the client has also explained what is the motive, but he says it's difficult to talk about this.

- I must simply sit down and think about it...

Well, at the risk of sounding pedantic, there is a difference. He has admitted to doing it, but he hasn't admitted guilt. IE he doesn't acknowledge that what he did was wrong. He has admitted to the bombing and shooting, but hasn't pled guilty to the charge of terrorism.

UPDATE:

I was wrong, I admit it...

He actually pleads NOT guilty.

Anders Behring Breivik (32) has pleaded not guilty of the bomb attack in Oslo and the shootings at Utøya. Even though he acknowledge that he is behind the attacks.

The first reports of the massacre on Utøya, an island about south-east of Oslo, came around 18.25 Friday.

Nearly 700 young members of the Labour Party were on the island for an annual youth camp when Breivik opened fire and killed at least 85 people.

The death toll may still rise even more as rescue workers search the water around the island.

The shootings on Utøya came only hours after a bomb exploded outside a government building in central Oslo. The explosion killed at least seven people and further ten people were seriously injured in the blast

In the questioning late saturday Breivik acknowledged that he was behind the attacks but he has pleaded not guilty. Late Saturday, his self chosen lawyer Geir Lippestad said:

- He expressed that his actions were gruesome, but in his head they were necessary.

92 murdered

(85 at Utøya, 7 in Oslo)

67 injured på Utøya.

30 injured i Oslo.

Several Missing....

There is now an ongoing armed police raid at a house in Oslo. Police has confirmed that its to do with the 22/07 attacks. No other details yet.

I just watched the memorial service live from Oslo. The Prime Minister's speech was...powerful. And I cried when they sang "Til ungdommen."

another death.. one of the injured at the hospital died of the injuries...

Total 93 deaths..

The police also said that they have not gone through the building after the bomb. It is apperantly to dangerous since there are still parts falling from the building.

They can not say that the building is empty since there are people missing...

Powerfull stuff this..

Those cops should've killed him anyway even if he had given up. Hopegully (most likely) he'll get the death penalty but it still won't be enough for the families. God bless them.

Those cops should've killed him anyway even if he had given up. Hopegully (most likely) he'll get the death penalty but it still won't be enough for the families. God bless them.

In Norway, death penalty is not permitted.

The maximum sentence is 21 years...

However, we have a glitch. We have something called "Forvaring". If he get that sentence, he will get 21 years. BUT they can (and probably will) every 5 years, give Anders Behring Breivik 5 additional years.

Meaning he will most likely be sitting in jail for the rest of his life. And what waits him in prison, no one knows, what I do know is that he will get some kind of punishment. IF he ever get sent to jail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The news today are that the police is afraid there will be a lynchmob when he is to be transportet to the courthearing, a large group of people want to do something to him, and that something can NOT be good.

His lawyer says on TV that he has 2 wishes. An open hearing AND he wants to wear some kind of uniform. When the reporter ask his lawyer what the uniform looks like, the lawyer looks confused and says "I really do not know, I have not seen it."

He also said that the terrorist sees himself as a temple knight.

The media may think it looks like this. Picture is a picture of Anders Behring Breivik in some kind of uniform.

1311579684868_414.jpg

We don't have the death penalty here in Norway. And we are not going to get it because of this guy. That was what he wanted, to change our society.

Formally, the longest sentence you can get here is 21 years. In reality though, he can be sentenced to involuntary commitment (Forvaring) in stead of prison. If that is the case, once the 21 years are over and he is still dreamed too dangerous to let back into society, he can have the sentence extended by up to 5 years at a time.

EDIT: Dammit, beat me to it chris!

Keep your prayers. Religion started this crap.

From what I've read:

Basically, in his eyes, the left were propping up and welcoming what he perceived as the "spread of Islam". So, in his quest to "save Norway", he decided to focus his efforts on the ruling Labour Party, which is a center of left political party. By targeting the Labour Party youth camp, he figured that he was ridding Norway of the "future leftists" that would aid the spread of Islam.