shahzebamin

I need suggestion...

I want to start a mod but I need suggestion from you guys.

Things I know(about modding):

-Basic reskinning

-Basic editor work

-Organizing files in the mod folder

And I am still learning how to model.

But I also have schoolwork which means I could do modding about 2-4 hours a day.

Is that good enough to start a mod?

P.S. Of course, I am going to have a team.

P.S.S If I do make a mod, the first version is not going to be really advanced.

Go ahead and do it, whether you have 10 minutes a day or 2 hours a day does not matter.

THere are a few mods that has been worked on since 2009 and possibly before and people are still waiting (and looking forward) for/to them.

As long as you have some skills you can start modding, if the first result is not good then do not worry as you will undoubtedly get better as you go along :cheers-mate:

Well the big question, I think is, 'What kind of mod are you looking to make?' If the mod doesn't involve new commands or new gear, the scripting isn't going to much of a problem, But I bet everyone one will find a lot of those in any mod someone makes. but good luck, and If anyone wants to make a mod, I say go for it! :holdglass:

Okay, to do anything useful in a mod, you're going to need a basic understanding of modelling, as will you need a very good idea of the editor. I work with a mod, and I have my own. Do I find time for both? Yes, do I find lots of time for both? No.

I can do basic modelling, all the editor work, and basic scripting (well I know advanced, but I hate doing it) and I work with someone who knows how to script in theory, makes models and skins them, afterall, if you can't skin and UV a model, it's only half finished. Together we can do mods fine. A team of three is ample, if they are all dedicated to the work.

How to find one?

Well learn some skills yourself, once you have some good skills (not submodding skills like reskinning, I mean like skinning, modelling and edits, etc etc) then you will be able to get ground work done. You'll have a few friends by now, probably one or two that can do several things as well. As time continues, you'll have all you need to get it done. Will it be a winterberg? No, will it be decent? Yes. Also a tip, don't open up your mod right away, especially if you don't want to be rushed, you either need to be able to commit to it, or don't announce it until it is mostways done. Announcing it, then killing it and repeating it several times, does three things, makes an embarrassment out of yourself, lowers chances of getting a future team, and lowers chances of people paying any attention to your mod topics in the future, as they won't expect anyhting from them.

repeating it several times, does three things, makes an embarrassment out of yourself, lowers chances of getting a future team, and lowers chances of people paying any attention to your mod topics in the future, as they won't expect anyhting from them.

I had to restart my mod and people still pay lots of attention to it.

@Station27

The first time you closed though wasn't because you didn't have the time, it was you tried to find a short cut using GSW ;) But now you have some people on a team that are willing to work on the mod for you.

There are some exceptions, but what I Was getting at is that we have had members who have started a mod, rolled out a few things, then decided to start a second one and let the first die, then kill the second and revive the first, and then kill it and start a third and so on and so on, and people would jsut start posting at the beginning of the next mod, I'm not helping since it's not going to follow through, why don't you finish what you started.

The internet is a shallow place, people want results, or people abandon you

There are some exceptions, but what I Was getting at is that we have had members who have started a mod, rolled out a few things, then decided to start a second one and let the first die, then kill the second and revive the first, and then kill it and start a third and so on and so on, and people would jsut start posting at the beginning of the next mod, I'm not helping since it's not going to follow through, why don't you finish what you started.

The internet is a shallow place, people want results, or people abandon you

Hello thanks for your advice. Right now my mod will just be like a basic mod. With like couples of units for every department. And I will not have any new script, equipment or anything.

generally speaking modelers tend to also do the UV mapping, being the guy who made the model it is easier for you to know what is supposed to be mapped to what.... Having a second person UV map the model generally isnt the wisest of choices, but there are some exceptions. Most the time you could believe something is for example part of a window when in reality it is but a trim piece, likewise the headlight and grille assemblies, things like that do not usually end up mapped with the body it's self... Making the model you're the one who's going to know what polys are to what.

My suggestion? start with a submod. Use a mod that already has what you are looking for(LA Mod has stations, new maps, etc) and build off of it. start with something simple like making a new model and replace it with one ingame. then make it a place at the station...so on and so forth. Also a big tip, I would keep it under wraps at first until you KNOW you will have a finished product. one thing I learned(from experience) is that if you say you will make a mod, and find yourself busy, then have to scrap it...people wont get upset.