njboy13

Help cleaning an Electrical Item

Hey guys, so today a accidentally knocked over a can of soda, the only electrical item it hit was my Ipod Touch charger, just a corner of the metal tip that plugs into the Ipod. Does anybody have tips on cleaning/drying this for proper and safe use, or should I just buy a new one?

Edited by njboy13

Yeah, just plug the device in and soak the whole thing in water. ;)

lol

What type of soda was it, was it a cola, a lemon lime, ginger ale, the type of cleaning depends on it due to chemical makeup.

It was Cola, right now I just dried it with a paper towel, I can still feel it though, that sort of sticky soda texture.

I would: leave it to dry for a day or two in the sun or get a hair dryer on it a few times. Shake it about and see if you can hear any cola in there, if not id plug it in and see.

NOTE: use at your own risk, if you get injured, not my fault :1046275767_ugly::P

I would use contact cleaner to clean it.

Here a link from radio on such a product. You may be able to find it else where as well.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700

I would spread the stuff. Wipe in clean. repeat that till it those not feel sticking. Contact cleaner is design to clean contacts. Which is what you have that got the cola on it.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/electrical-contact-cleaner.htm

If it is just the USB plug that you use to charge with your computer, just plug it in, if it dosent work, get a new one.