spunkyskier01

Meet the new Ford cop car.

I tried searching, but couldn't find another topic about this, so if this is old news my apologies. Ford announced the other day that The Crown Victoria will finally come to an end in 2011, to be replaced by this for Taurus based cruiser. I am not sure how well the front wheel drive version will go over, but a nice car none the less.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2012_ford_police_interceptor-car_news

I posted this a day ago,I guess Stan killed it by fixing the forum

Ford Motor Co. is getting ready to retire the full-sized Crown Victoria sedan and, with it, the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor that is the most widely used police car in America.

Ford isn't about to give up on that market and all the sales -- and the prestige -- that it brings. So it has unveiled an all-new Police Interceptor to replace the venerable Crown Vic in 2011. The new Police Interceptor, a variation of the full-sized Taurus sedan, will be a front- or all-wheel drive car powered by a choice of two V6 engines.

Ford promises its police customers won't want for power or performance, though, but they will save money on gas compared to the big rear-wheel-drive Crown Vic.Competition's already heating up. General Motors is getting ready roll out the Chevrolet Caprice PPV, a police-only model imported from Australia, and a start-up company, Carbon Motors, is preparing its own diesel-powered police-specific model.

Despite having a 3.5-liter V6 compared to the 6.0-liter V8 that will be in GM's upcoming police car, the Ford Police Interceptor is available with slightly more horsepower.

Police departments that opt for Ford's twin-turbocharged EcoBoost engine will get 365 horsepower compared to 355 in the Chevy Caprice PPV. And Ford promises 25% better fuel economy compared to today's Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

The new Ford will also have a heavy-duty six-speed transmission and, when equipped with the EcoBoost engine, full-time all-wheel-drive as well as bigger heavy-duty brakes.

The Crown Victoria came under criticism years ago after crashes in which some police cars burst into flames following rear-end collisions. That's a particular danger for police cars which are commonly stopped right alongside high-speed highways.

Ford responded by beefing up the Crown Vic's rear crash protection and adding a fire suppression system. Today, Ford boasts that the Crown Vic is the only police car to pass 75 mile per hour rear-end crash testing.

The new Police Interceptor is, likewise, engineered to protect against high-speed rear hits. It's designed to protect against more than just crashes, though. The front seatbacks have anti-stab inserts to protect against attacks from back-seat occupants

The new Police Interceptor will have a version of Ford's Sync computer interface. It will be similar to the voice-controlled system you can get on most Ford cars except that, in this car, officers will be able to use voice commands to do things like turn on the lights and sirens.

The car will also have a back-up camera and Ford's "Cross Traffic Alert" system which relies on radar to warn of cars approaching from either side when backing out of a parking space.

Ford will also produce an SUV version of the Police Interceptor, possibly based on the next-generation Ford Explorer, a concept version of which is shown here. The new Explorer will share the Taurus's basic engineering and both police vehicles will produced in Chicago in 2011.

ford_police_interceptor1.jpg

ford_police_interceptor2.jpg

ford_police_interceptor3.jpg

Excuse me? What does that have to do with anything?

Hoppah said it looked like a christmas tree with that many lights, and I agree, a concept car doesn't need that many lights. EVER, in fact, the only car I'd let slide is a Demo Car for Whelen or someone.

If not mistaken, this concept car uses the led's, but off course not all at once.

I noticed the mega board the officers have at there disposal.

So i bet any thing that there are various light plans in it for different things;

Question then would be,..could they not fit it in less leds lights.

Also to anwser the othe "off-topic" question.

I think they have that with the future prospect with chemical and nuclear warfare/terror threats.

Or for traffic stops to find illegal stuff/Prevent nuclear/chemical terror

EDIT: More pictures of it

Hence, why these things are called concept cars, the whole point is to show what you COULD do to a car, not what would be practical or profittable to do... The whole point is to try to create a "buzz" around the product, chances are why it's a christmas tree as well as the Nuke detection capabilities... Just a toy to get people talking, which apparently it was mission accomplished.

Excuse me? What does that have to do with anything?

Hoppah said it looked like a christmas tree with that many lights, and I agree, a concept car doesn't need that many lights. EVER, in fact, the only car I'd let slide is a Demo Car for Whelen or someone.

I was basically referring to the push bumper only. Push bumpers are designed to protect the car or act as a battering ram, not to put as many lights as possible in it. It's just redundent and it's unnecessary expensive. One simple 'push' and these lights are damaged. The car looks nice, but it's going to be too expensive. It will never be as popular as the Crown Victoria.

Ford wont sell to civilians........LOL :mukkies:

Yes they do. It's called the Taurus. :lach:

Seriously though... ugly as sin. Same thing for the new Caprice. And for that Carbon E7 abomination.

The only good-looking police car left on the market is the Charger.

Hoppah,

I agree, the only time a pushbar should have lights is..

NEVER

Voodoo,

Thank-you, I don't know about everyone else, but if this is the new age of cars, I'm going to the 80's

Mike,

It's not that expensive, is it? I was looking at one here in my city and it was only like in the 20's and it was a decent model.

well i don't mind that much lights in a police car.

The use and value off it are debate able.

But then again, why do Fire Truck have to be dressed up in the way that they are?

(Dutch trucks are not nearly so dressed up, and do the job perfect)

There also besides the use, is a public factor to it.

(for the dutch guys in the debate, why did we ever had that Porsche 911 speed trap and the BMW318 Police cruiser? just for public use)

Heavy overpriced cars for the job, as now is very clear since they drive in fiat's and golf 4's)

The use of lights in push bars is not uncommon.

The number of lights in the carbon concept is just very new.

Anyways as been said concept is made to make people talk about it.

And look at practical uses of it. what you can call a sort of alpha/beta version of a car.

Any how looking at the other pictures i have the feeling to believe that the silver colored bars on the push bar are reinforced.

As well as the whole front bumper, so maneuvers can still be made with minimal damage.

(Just as with any police car these days is).

Drive the nose of a victory into the side of a speeding car, and i bet that there is damage to(not only to the push bar).

Simply because you are going at speeds, in witch the kinetic forces are to strong to escape unharmed(the car that is).

And as i stated on the personal note, i don't mind that many lights on it.

makes the car look better(personal), and more noticeable in traffic/dark.

And besides that it attracts public to it, So how knows, this could be there next requiting post card;

"wanna drive this? join the force" hell i don't know.

I like it :smoke:

And the reason i don't like the ford is because it looks to much as something that could be in a game.

Which costs too much at around 50 grand for the good model.

Lol I've seen some new ones for around 18 grand though. Probably didn't have TVs in the seats, though :P

I personally find every new cop car (the new Caprice, Taurus, and the CM one) deliciously beautiful lol (the Charger is also still a beast). Dunno what you guys are talking about; get used to it, every car from now on will look like them lol.

Net MSRP*$44,200

The price has come down ever so slightly since I last checked on it... but still that's nuts for a car that is what the charger is.

Cheapest model is 25,140 for the middle of the pack you're looking at close to 32,000... In the end for a "fleet service vehicle" that's too much money, and the one that cops would drool to have... Is well beyond nuts at 44, instead of the 52 it was when I knew someone who had one.

Lol well I DID see a new Charger listed for $18000, but still that's probably not the 'total'. Booooo

Yeah that's how they get ya in the door, they list the price as one thing, but once they tally everything up on it... You very quickly end up paying a good bit more than you figured. I grabbed the pricing from the Dodge website, so they are the "Base MSRP" for each respective model, and unfortunately for a fleet vehicle such as a cop car even the crappy Charger is simply out of reach for most departments.. Especially when you consider most of them would want at least the R/T model. Shame Dodge overpriced that car so much because it is a very good car.

Police cars are quite a bit more expensive than one might think.MY work shares its fleet with the new york state police, and they had a fleet of brand new Crown Vics, With everything installed on it the window sticker read 36,000. The Chevy Tahoe's had a sticker of $46,000. This is The state contract price, so they wont get a discount off of that.