Guest Bl00d_B0urne

Question For all The Firefighters here

Guest Bl00d_B0urne

Hey Everyone. I plan on taking the Forth Worth(Texas) Fire Department's Civil Service Exam and hopefully try to become a member (If i were to pass)

For other firefighters here, would anyone have any tips or anything to help me prepare for everything (Exam/Physical ability)?

I know there will probably be alot of competitive people, and the test is about a month away. I just want to know what to expect

If it's the same as over here in England, if you check out your local service's webpage (or any for that matter, as all firefighters have to pass the same standard test) you should find recommendations on how to prepare.

I have looked myself into joining the ECFRS and it something like 45mins circuit training per day, not including a 2 mile plus run to increase your stamina (along with the old addage of eating healthy)

As I say though, if you check out the departments own webpage generally nowadays you can find the information to get your started.

Good luck, and I hope this info helps.

hydrate hydrate hydrate for your physical. the written test can be anything so just study basic subjects, they should not test you on infromation directly pertaining to firefighting, that is the point of recruit school. the physical will look at stamina and how far you will push yourself. build cardio and be able to work under high stress conditions. good luck!

Of course, always be hydrated. My best bit of advice is look for a guide.. I know the SJRFD has their entire process online, it has things like taking down ladders, dragging weights, etc. Thing is you can do most of this stuff yourself, so practice anything you can... Even if it's just climbing a ladder in 5 layers of clothing and a weighted backpack (I figure that's around equivalent to Turnout :P )

EDIT:

If you know anyone in the service, see if they'll let you into a station to practice taking ladders off the trucks or like run a few laps in spare gear, whatever helps.

Guest Bl00d_B0urne

Thanks for all the tips.

Here is the site of the Fire Department:

Fort Worth Fire Department

So my next question is, Would it be better to get bigger, because I am only 5' 10", 170..but i have also heard that people who are all muscle typically don't make it because they don't have endurance.

Would it be better to run as much as possible?

Thanks for all the tips.

Here is the site of the Fire Department:

Fort Worth Fire Department

So my next question is, Would it be better to get bigger, because I am only 5' 10", 170..but i have also heard that people who are all muscle typically don't make it because they don't have endurance.

Would it be better to run as much as possible?

strength comes with the training, of course be strong, but you dont need to be a body builder, endurence is the best thing you can have and always have a willingness to learn

The physical part here: http://www.fwfd.net/Physical-Ability-Test.html

Remember its not about physical ability as much as mental ability. Your lucky its not OCFA, they have some of the hardest tests by far, a guy I know that worked for them said 9-12 of the 28 people in his class had been trying for 6 years. Set that goal, and work for it. If your motivated enough nothing can stop you.

(Except mabie a 35 foot ladder) :)

My advice is to go to the College or University Libary, and see if they have a Books related to Firefighting such as Practical Firefighter Exams, Study Guides, because i have a few and they help a lot in many ways such as Preparing, practical skills, so forth.

Best of Luck with you! Texas is a Hot place, if you get in, Its gonna get HOTTER.

Guest Bl00d_B0urne

Thanks for all the advice.

Well, to add a little humor to the situation, i have been lately trying to get my 1 1/2 mile time to 5:30, because i thought that would be the time limit.

Turns out i read the packet wrong. I have about 13 minutes to run 1 1/2. So i guess That works out in my favor lol.

But luckily i have access to a Recreation Center (My University) So i have been going there daily, sometimes twice a day working hard. Gotta have the fire burning inside if you really want the job.

Also, the City offers a City Service Exam and a fellow manager, who use to be a Lt. for Dallas Police Department, gave me some advice that Dallas Library probably has copies of old Civil Service Exams i can look over.

But luckily i have access to a Recreation Center (My University) So i have been going there daily, sometimes twice a day working hard. Gotta have the fire burning inside if you really want the job.

Be careful not to over do it. If your doing weight lifting, talks to some of the people studying physical therapy and such. They can give you tips. Dont work the same muscle groups. For example, do upper body one day, lower body the next. You can do upper body 2 days in a row, but your best to work different muscle groups if you choose to do that.

And being strong wont hurt your endurance so long as your not pumping steroids, and you do things for endurance in addition to weight lifting.

Guest Bl00d_B0urne

Be careful not to over do it. If your doing weight lifting, talks to some of the people studying physical therapy and such. They can give you tips. Dont work the same muscle groups. For example, do upper body one day, lower body the next. You can do upper body 2 days in a row, but your best to work different muscle groups if you choose to do that.

And being strong wont hurt your endurance so long as your not pumping steroids, and you do things for endurance in addition to weight lifting.

Yea I don't lift heavy, i lift light but i do more reps, usually around 4 sets. and I rotate between upper, lower, and cardio with a day off. And steroids is something i do not mess with, definately not my cup of tea. I prefer to get my gains naturally, and I'm not looking to get ripped, just get my muscular endurance up.