Zune or Ipod

Zune or Ipod  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Zune
    • Ipod
    • Other- Describe in post

1. hate Microsoft
  2. easy to use(a monkey could operate it)
  3. much of after market stuff available
  4. Unbreakable(got a ipod for ofet 4years now, still tiptop shape)
  5. Good sound quality
  6. Pretty good to watch movies on(not great, but good enough)
  7. Independent software(most free)
  8. Very good support for almost any type of audio/video format
  9. don't know zune

easy to use

A Zune is as easy to use as an Ipod is.

Unbreakable

You haven't seen what I've done to a Zune

Very good support for almost any type of audio/video format

The zune supports just about everything an Ipod can

As for everything else (besides the hate of MS) I could understand. But keep in mind, the Ipod has its flaws too

A Zune is as easy to use as an Ipod is.

Could be, but i have never worked with a zune) nor ever seen one(until i googled it few min ago Xd)

You haven't seen what I've done to a Zune

No i have not, but i did see what my ipod survived :lach:

The zune supports just about everything an Ipod can

I'll give you that one,after looking at some specs, the zune indeed also has a very wide support for different formats.

As for everything else (besides the hate of MS) I could understand. But keep in mind, the Ipod has its flaws too

well what can i say?.... :nixweiss: i just really hate microsoft.

And yes, ipod has flaws to,...but i think that the pro's, are good enough to rule out the cons

Could be, but i have never worked with a zune) nor ever seen one(until i googled it few min ago Xd)

No i have not, but i did see what my ipod survived :lach:

I'll give you that one,after looking at some specs, the zune indeed also has a very wide support for different formats.

well what can i say?.... :nixweiss: i just really hate microsoft.

And yes, ipod has flaws to,...but i think that the pro's, are good enough to rule out the cons

IMO, it depends on what you want in a music player. If you want all that app nonsense, then the Ipod is for you. If you want Excellent quality with a few less perks, the Zune is for you

1. don't know zune

Then don't compare or say things like 'I hate Microsoft'. Every MP3-player breakable, so I suggest to stop posting useless arguments.

@ swatlord:

There are different kinds of iPods. What do you exactly want? iPod Touch, Shuffle or the Nano?

Then don't compare or say things like 'I hate Microsoft'.

I know Microsoft...

They way they work,

They types of software the produce.

There for i can say i hate Microsoft.

he is asking for an opinion, and he got it.

i choose ipod, cause of previous mentioned reasons

@ swatlord:

There are different kinds of iPods. What do you exactly want? iPod Touch, Shuffle or the Nano?

My original intention was to compare products from the same generation. So, say, you compare an Ipod touch to a Zune HD, A nano to a Zune 2, etc

EDIT: This is what happens when you talk bad about the Zune

zune2_media_player_2.jpg

I know Microsoft...

They way they work,

They types of software the produce.

There for i can say i hate Microsoft.

he is asking for an opinion, and he got it.

i choose ipod, cause of previous mentioned reasons

This topic is not about Microsoft itself, that's why that argument is not valid. Most people prefer an objective view of both types of products. No appliance is unbreakable, that also counts for all of the Apple products. It's true that most of the Apple products are made of decent materials, but that doesn't make it undestroyable or something. Sound quality has more to do with the earphones and Apple earphones are not really known for their good quality (source: click). There are a ton of different audio/video formats, the iPod supports only a few audio formats: MP3, WAV, AAC, AIFF and M4A (Source: click). That means it doesn't support formats like FLAC, WMA, OGG and some others. If I'm not wrong all videos have to be converted to either MP4, M4V or .MOV (source: click). iTunes probably has a convertor for videos, but that doesn't mean the iPod supports all types of videos.

I'm just trying to be objective. Both Microsoft and Apple have good products. If you really want good opinions here you need to find someone who both has a Zune and an iPod to prevent 'fanboy' replies. Each product has its pros and cons. For some people the cons or pros count harder than others. I'd personally go for an iPod Touch or an iPhone, although I'm no fan of the obligated use of iTunes, but most people do not really care about that. But you will definately get a decent product if you go for Apple. If you have a lot of time try to read reviews about Zune MP3-players.

If you have to give an opinion about something.

As far as i know, is something you base on personal experience.

My experience with MS is very bad, that's why i think that the comment is valid.

But your the boss around here so i won't bring it up anymore.

Your source isn't bad, but know there is(as i stated) a lot of stuff available(also from apple it self) to upgrade your ipod/iphone.

And that is next to the "Free" after market stuff that is offered by freelance programmers.

Therefor it is possible to "upgrade" your ipod with alternative "firmware".

It is still an apple ipod, but the way it handels and types of format is just much and much better.

(see it as, You upgrade from Direct X 9 to Direct X 10). It remains Direct X, it's just a better version of it).

MS is not known for this type of freelance support.

I can't go on into this to much, as i just said to leave MS out of the pic.

So i will stand in the corner now and keep my mouth shut :cry:

But your the boss around here so i won't bring it up anymore.

What's wrong with a discussion? I'm not here to shut you up or something and I'm definately not the boss. Actually, I recently removed the admin group for my account myself. We're free to give our opinions. I just don't see why 'MS sucks' is an argument for the topic starter to not get a MP3-player from Microsoft.

What's wrong with a discussion? I'm not here to shut you up or something and I'm definately not the boss. Actually, I recently removed the admin group for my account myself. We're free to give our opinions. I just don't see why 'MS sucks' is an argument for the topic starter to not get a MP3-player from Microsoft.

i know, but my entire point of discussion would be daffelt by the fact of a previous named company that i would not state anymore.(EDIT)(ain't not for nothing i have an Linux pingu on windows flag)

And about the shut up part was just a little joke.

{EDIT}

After this i will shut up about the whole MS/Apple stuff.

But my argument is based on:

1. Microsoft has incredibly bad hardware use.

Take any type of pc. install windows(XP/Vista what ever)With the right driver(build for windows). run a benchmark.

Format that pc, install Linux/Apple on it. With the driver written for Linux/Apple. Run a benchmark.

I almost am confident to say, that linux/apple pc's will own your windows installation(bij 25% or more).

2. MS sees nothing rather the $ sings. Freelance software/Firmware is in most cases illegal.

On the counter with linux/apple soft and firmware who are just saying, go ahead, do what you think is right for you, and share it with others

3. My personal experience with MS is just really bad, From customer support to the finished product.

(at work i see on a daily base give or take 15/20 pc who came back to our company with severe OS problems).

But the only time we get an Linux or Apple device back is when the hardware has failed.

4. Linux and Apple appliances are not so effected by viruses and add aware.

And as an only downside to Apple and Linux is(as far as my opinion goes.

Apple appliances are easer to hack/crack.(but hey,...90% is open source anyways)

But linux has no downsides.

Just one thing that could improve, But because of MS heavily patent and copy write software/firmware. that is not possible.

So not all the programs that would work under windows will work in Linux.

But as said before, just because MS has blocked any option to it.

I've had experience with both, but I'm a little torn between the newest generations. The Zune HD seems to be about power and quality while the Ipod touch seems to be all about freeware and less about music/video quality. So far, I've only owned a Zune so far and I've been very content with it. I started this topic to get meaningful feedback, not just "apple/MS sucks because I don't like them.

As for the "MS has crappy this and that", every company has released it's share of flop products (Remember the Apple Cube?) And I haven't used a program yet that didn't work on windows.

As Hoppah said, I believe that both products have pros and cons. So far I've got

ZUNE HD-

* Long battery life

* 720p video

* Great sound quality

* Zune software is easy to use.

* Zune Marketplace is easy to use

APPLE IPOD TOUCH

* Apps

* More size choices

* Apps

* Camera

* Apps

* More games

* LOTS of aftermarket accessories

* Apps

... Did I mention apps?

I started this topic to get meaningful feedback, not just "apple/MS sucks because I don't like them.

As for the "MS has crappy this and that", every company has released it's share of flop products (Remember the Apple Cube?) And I haven't used a program yet that didn't work on windows.

As Hoppah said, I believe that both products have pros and cons. So far I've got

That is why i said i would shut up about it.

But he wanted to know why, and he has got his answer to that.

You had mine to in form of a poll vote and an explanation.

That 1point of the list does not fit your topic.

Well what do you want me to say? Sorry?

I went to Ipod (6th Gen Classic 120 GB) after starting with a dell DJ pocket back n the day, which I still have just the battery dies in about ten seconds. Honestly I only looked a little at Zune. I opted for the Ipod due to price at the time. Personally I feel all the touch screens are stupidly over priced with not anywhere near enough storage. I'll explore options next time I shop, but i'l probably stick with Ipod. I've always received excellent customer support, local stores are certified to repair it, and I prefer the Itunes store and system (though can be a hassle at times, but always get excellent customer service from reps). So I'd probably stick to it for the whole system more than the player. The Zune and the supporting system just doesn't excite me much...It's getting better, but it's not there yet. Size is also an issue, I need something bigger than a 120, and zune doesn't deliver Ipod does now with the 160 GB.

See, I'm not the type of person that wants every song known to man on my player, nor do I want the entire seasons of "Lost" and "the Simpsons" on there either.

So I read these reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10309397-49.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352978,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10356047-49.html

They seem to say that the Zune has better quality music over the Ipod touch. Is also performs better with less battery drain. The Zune software is very neat. For those who have never heard of/ had a Zune, the software that comes with it does a LOT more than just play and sync. If you click on a particular song, you can open up a whole web of information. Anything from the artist bio to who they were influenced by is displayed.

So, based on that info, I went out and got a Zune HD. I gotta say, it's pretty sweet. I put a friends touch next to it and played the same video and the Zune effortlessly outperformed the Ipod (my friend ended up snatching it back and walked away grumbling about how many apps he had)

The only thing that I can see that the Ipod trumps the Zune over is the apps support. Though, I ask you this.... What happened to the days when a music player just played some freakin music? If I got the touch and got a bunch of apps, then what would be the point of flopping down money to get a music player that all I do is play with?

Pricewise, I bought the 16gb model for the same price that Apple was selling their 8GB model for.

I gotta say, i'm very happy with my purchase. What few apps it has so far are actually worthwhile (and they were free too, another point to the Zune) and the music and video quality is [drool] AMAZING [/drool]

ipod touch for games and 36 gb storage :)

can zune have that much memory and play games

actually.... yeah. the regular Zune can hold up to 120GB and has a few games to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zune-120-Video-Playe...k/dp/B001EQ0HAW

As far as games and apps go, the Ipod like to boast it has 2000000 10^7 apps, but maybe 10 are actually useful.

See, I'm not the type of person that wants every song known to man on my player, nor do I want the entire seasons of "Lost" and "the Simpsons" on there either.

Understandable, it really comes down to style like the reviews say. Both are very comparable systems. Sound quality between the 2 is minimal (I say that generally, most people won't notice the quality difference). The system for a Zune is nice, just not my style I know what I want, and I like to permanently keep all music I download. Quite frankly, I prefer to buy hard copies of most of my music, CDs are cheap. I can also manipulate and control my library from an external HD very easily with iTunes, which is nice when I have multiple computers, and I don't want to waste my laptops memory on just music. Apps are not a big deal to me, I have a few, but not many.