Eddie117

Attention all Modders! (Is it even possible?)

Hello all, Been playing EM4 for many years now and i have always always wanted to do Something....

More then 4 people in game...now before everyone starts posting "its not possible" "it cant be done".... I can remember, 4 years ago when the idea of scripting supply lines starting being disused, EVERYONE was saying it cant be done...and now look, most mods have it in...

Over the last few years i have seen so many things added that i would have never thought was even possible!

I know somewhere out there, someone can do it...even if its hardwired into the base game....there has to be a way it can be done, maybe we can float some ideas around..I know we have very experienced moders on our staff here at Squad55, and with the help of them and Other great moders this can really be a game changer!

Unfortunately this really isn't possible. Sure you can script limited water supply, and you can script most any kind of event (it might not be efficient, but technically possible). This is a core gameplay mechanic and not a game behavior. To alter this you'd have to edit the game source code. Unfortunately the source code was never released. The second option is to decompile the game. The game is written in C++. Decompiling a binary executable back into human readable source code is incredibly difficult and unlikely to yield anything of use. Even if you had a l33t hacker pro decompile the game into something somone could edit, it's technically illegal as it's considered reverse engineering (see DMCA).

Making a script is out. Decompiling the game or editing source code is also out.

Getting more than 4 people in a single game is just not possible. It's like trying to shove 6 people in a 5 seater car. You can't. Limited water supply and other scripts have been prototyped well before they were actually implemented so no real ground breaking discoveries were made. The German mods had it years before Hoppah put his own together. It just seems new and earth shattering to us because no one took the time or had the skill to put such a script together up to that point.

The thing is, as modders, we are only able to modify the game in ways that the developers have allowed us. Sure we've made some cool stuff by manipulating the tools we've been given, but each and every cool modification still resides within those limits. It's like math. You can come up with all sorts of interesting and creative solutions to a problem, however each and every one of those solutions, no matter how crazy, still follows the basic rules of mathematics. Adding more than four in a game is a violation of the constraints that the developers have imposed on us in EM4. The game cannot and will not accomodate additional players. In essence, it's like trying to divide by zero. It sounds possible, but to divide by zero violates the rule of division.

Unfortunately this really isn't possible. Sure you can script limited water supply, and you can script most any kind of event (it might not be efficient, but technically possible). This is a core gameplay mechanic and not a game behavior. To alter this you'd have to edit the game source code. Unfortunately the source code was never released. The second option is to decompile the game. The game is written in C++. Decompiling a binary executable back into human readable source code is incredibly difficult and unlikely to yield anything of use. Even if you had a l33t hacker pro decompile the game into something somone could edit, it's technically illegal as it's considered reverse engineering (see DMCA).

Making a script is out. Decompiling the game or editing source code is also out.

Getting more than 4 people in a single game is just not possible. It's like trying to shove 6 people in a 5 seater car. You can't. Limited water supply and other scripts have been prototyped well before they were actually implemented so no real ground breaking discoveries were made. The German mods had it years before Hoppah put his own together. It just seems new and earth shattering to us because no one took the time or had the skill to put such a script together up to that point.

The thing is, as modders, we are only able to modify the game in ways that the developers have allowed us. Sure we've made some cool stuff by manipulating the tools we've been given, but each and every cool modification still resides within those limits. It's like math. You can come up with all sorts of interesting and creative solutions to a problem, however each and every one of those solutions, no matter how crazy, still follows the basic rules of mathematics. Adding more than four in a game is a violation of the constraints that the developers have imposed on us in EM4. The game cannot and will not accomodate additional players. In essence, it's like trying to divide by zero. It sounds possible, but to divide by zero violates the rule of division.

but if you stack people log style in a car and add 2 in the trunk anything is possible, right?

just kidding.

but really, this is one of those things where the line isn't in the sand, it's drawn in cement. coated in lead. protected by a "nuclear trip mine".

Well, 

I wouldn't say that quick it isnt posible, But the skill you need to fo it is pretty high, even a normal game developer is it to hard for (Asked it at oure school). But anyway, Well i could always ask if something like that is posible at school. But im afraid it is not posible with the skill we have currently available, Expect if all the modders would work together.

Source: Myself, Im a developer. ;)

Well...unfortunately as it not the answer i wanted...its what i expected to hear, I just have so many awesome ideas that i want to implement for clan use and cant seem to get it going, Still think its amazing that after 4 years, this game is still going strong!

Alrighty, 

Asked around a bit.

Short answer: No, It is not posible for Emergency 4 with the acces of files we have right now.

Long Answer: Technally seen it is posible, (Ex: Sleeping dogs, Just cause etc multiplayer was even added.), But they had acces to the core, which we dont have. And Emergency 4 is a old game, and it could be posible if you find out a wayy to get to the core, But for now it is not posible for Emergency 4. :/

But, Never say never. For examples these things also were deemed imposible:

http://buzzybeeforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=28191&start=15

There are multiple projects pretty close to it right now.

It mayby will become later on, In a few years. But i wouldnt count on it.

The only way I could see it working, and this is a long shot requiring a LOAD of work, would be to create a secondary program, similar to GTA:SAMP which runs using the game, but creates a server where the game information is run from. Making it in the game itself, that's impossible unless they give us the source code for the game and rewrite it all, but that's as likely as me winning the lottery tomorrow. If I do, I'll buy the rights to the game, I promise. 

As for the secondary program, I think it would be theoretically possible. You just need a large amount of knowledge and a team that is dedicated and has the time to do it. Unfortunately, as it sits right now, our members who are in the ballpark of doing this are too busy with real life to consider it a realistic option, and those with the time do not have the resources.