Forensics

Light bars

New or Old?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• The new ones (clear)
    • The old ones (colored)

What are the benefits of the new ones?

The biggest benefit is cost over the long run. While LED technology and bars cost more then Halogen and Strobe, they save in the long run. Rotators, Bulbs, and Strobes have a shelf life of between 5-10 years depending on how often they are used and weather conditions. LED's on the other hand have no moving parts, and are rated by some manufacturers to last nearly 10x as long! Add to that is the fact that LED's draw less power and don't eat up the battery like Halogen and Strobes do, meaning less wear and tear on the electrical system, more power available to other equipment, and the units in the field don't worry about dead batteries when they leave their lights on but vehicles off.

Another key is the low profile bar increases fuel mileage and because of the lack of heat generated by a bulb or strobe firing, you tend to have less hazing/fogging of the lenses that occurs in various climates. There are some departments that have to change their lenses every couple of years due to weather issues that they are no longer experiencing with LED technology.

Overalls - Less moving parts, Less Power Consumption, Longer life, and increased fuel mileage are the biggest benefits over the older Halogen, and even strobe models.

(new ones) How come when they are off they are clear but then when they are on they are on they have color?

That is just how the technology works. The generation and type of LED, Light Emitting Diodes, used, only emit color and light when on, but are clear otherwise. This has led some departments to put colored lenses on their bars, or as LAPD and LASD have done with their arjents, place colored tops on their bar so they are still recognizable as Law Enforcement. Other departments and places prefer the clear look as it is harder to spot in both day and night while off. It just depends on your departments philosophy and needs regarding visibility in the public eye. I'm sure someone will ask, why would a dept not want to be seen, and so i'll just nip that question in the bud right now. Many departments who deal with traffic enforcement or have a philosophy of blending into the community as opposed to being a powerful vision of enforcement, may wish to be less noticeable when not engaged in an actual incident or call. Others believe in high visibility as a deterrent to crime and want their units to be out and about in the public and noticed as much as possible. Just different philosophies for different areas. Small towns usually prefer to be blenders, large towns with high crime usually go for visibility.

Currently one of the biggest complaints about the clear when off feature is how hard it is to distinguish between police and security guards and other similar issues. A key example would be an LA City Dept of Water and Power utility truck and an LAPD truck. Both are white, standard pickup trucks, with just a small seal and logo on the door and a lightbar on the roof. With clear LED's and no colored lenses, it'd be impossible to tell the difference between the two.

As for what I like.... I honestly could NOT possibly care less. It would be unfathomable for me to really give a ____ any less then I do. No lightbar ever put a fire out, no lightbar ever did cpr, no lightbar ever saved a child, cut open a roof, stabilized a rollover, or delivered a baby. Emergency vehicle Code 3 responses are no faster, nor any safer, according to US National highway statistics, so the only thing that matters then is... cost. I like whatever the dept buys at the best rate that doesn't effect my paycheck or my taxes.

:ohm Just seen this lightbar:

62towmans.jpg

Guess how much??

£804 / $1309.23 / 894 euro

:ohm Bit expensive, isn't it?

I knew they weren't cheap but that's a huge amount!

I bought this same lightbar for only $800 and it comes with a 5 year warranty