Guest nachtegaaal

"Follow"-option for cars

Guest nachtegaaal

Hey guys,

I know it's possible for the LAPD chopper to follow cars and people, but you can't follow them with other vehicles! I was wondering, why not? Is it hard to create or is this a whole new idea? (probably not..)

I think it's really handy for creating presidential or prisoner convoys and it just looks cool :D

Does anyone have any idea?

Guest NMDanny
I believe it is because the car would go through/over buildings just as the helicopter does.

actually there is chase command for ground vehicles, but the police car wont follow, once they are close to the targeted car they will try to arrest them/fine them

If anyone around knows how to script, they might be able to help in how to change the Chase command to just Follow. I think this would be a nice idea :)

Perhaps they could make it so criminals are only likely to surrender when there are several units chasing him, or decide not to surrender at all! But if this is not possible a 'follow' rather than follow & arrest command would be good, to make chases :D

Guest nachtegaaal
The civilian cars wouldn't, only the ones with the follow command.

Isn't it possible to make the vehicles stay on the roads? Can't you use the script (if there is any) that the civilian cars use to stay on the roads?

The problem with a follow-command is that the one used for the helicopter makes the vehicle go in a straight line directly towards the target.

This is OK with the helicopter, since it flies over any building etc, but a car would go straight into/through buildings and other obstacles.

And then you have a problem...

So the command would have to be rescripted and modified for ground travel.

Perhaps it's possible to edit the new Chase script, but instead of scripting the getaway car to stop and the suspect to get out, just it keeps driving :)

Mayble I can actually add it to the chase script. For example, when you hold CTRL while using the command I can let different things happen. It's an idea for the future.

Guest nachtegaaal

In the Winterberg mod, it's possible to use the "STOP POLIZEI"-option on civilian vehicles and make them stop by that. There must be a way to make them keep following these, right? And then it should be possible to follow PD/EMS/FD vehicles too.

So with that in mind, would it be possible to provide a new kind of event?

For instance a call for a suspicious vehicle (would justify the follow command), if the car is not followed within x amount of time by a patrol car, then the occupants start drive bys or commit bank robbery (needing chase command or whatever other means you choose), if the vehicle is followed for a different x amount of time, then you get xxx points for vehicle checked out and not a nuisance or something. So your given an opportunity to stop it. Alot of scripting of course.

Guest nachtegaaal
So with that in mind, would it be possible to provide a new kind of event?

For instance a call for a suspicious vehicle (would justify the follow command), if the car is not followed within x amount of time by a patrol car, then the occupants start drive bys or commit bank robbery (needing chase command or whatever other means you choose), if the vehicle is followed for a different x amount of time, then you get xxx points for vehicle checked out and not a nuisance or something. So your given an opportunity to stop it. Alot of scripting of course.

Perhaps, with some vehicles, people would only come out of there with a certain amount of PD units (Mobiele Eenheid, Bereitschaftspolizei, help me, the guys that knock hooligans down, what's the word xD) and also make the option to check any civilian vehicle, no matter the circumstances. At the time a checked vehicle is stolen, a new event starts: stolen vehicle.

Mayble I can actually add it to the chase script. For example, when you hold CTRL while using the command I can let different things happen. It's an idea for the future.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea :D

Or perhaps not even to hold CTRL - just random situations happen, like a real life chase. Flees, gives up, shoots, takes hostages - etc.

And vehicle check could be a great idea! To just follow a car for a little while, and it tells you a random message like 'no seatbelt' or 'no insurance' or 'stolen' , and if there's a reason to, you pull it over.

These are good ideas. :)

Im in favor of the random message idea. Maybe it could say stolen car, so the cop lights em up and the stolen car takes off like the current stolen car event running people over and so forth before finally crashing(cut scene maybe) or they finally decide to stop.

Also, if it is separate, that would be some thing to add to the motorcycle, mabye add it olny to the motor that would give it more use, and some realism. A PD cycle won't do a felony stop without a car to assist. If you do you get ripped up one side and down the other by you supervisor.

Also, if it is separate, that would be some thing to add to the motorcycle, mabye add it olny to the motor that would give it more use, and some realism. A PD cycle won't do a felony stop without a car to assist. If you do you get ripped up one side and down the other by you supervisor.

I swear the motorcycle chase thing has been brought up like 3 times this week already. Not to say Hoppah wont ever add it, but its alot of work, so let it go already.

I swear the motorcycle chase thing has been brought up like 3 times this week already. Not to say Hoppah wont ever add it, but its alot of work, so let it go already.

I was not suggesting a motor chase command as that has already been said that it would be alot of work. I was suggesting that if the follow command were added as a separate command from the chase, that it could be used for the motor unit, becuase you are not stopping and changing models.

Guest Cackles

lol@tactics

OT: this is a really good idea, and it would mean that items like the spike strip (and less so traffic cones) have some use, as atm they are pretty useless as you can just pull the car over

Having said that, I know your busy Hoppah

either way, thanks, v2 looks awesome.

Topic cleaned. Please stop the quarrel! Not everybody is expected to write perfect English in here. If there is a misunderstanding simply try to explain it again. Don't start bitching about each others grammar skills.