Guest pappy02us

creating new units from existing

Guest pappy02us

I am trying to make reasonable representation LAFD LAX engine 51 to go with the LAX units. I play on wood's first map a lot and since there is the airport I use the LAX units to cover the area around the airport.

Now I have started by re-skinning the ALS engine, and this is where my first problem came up. I managed to get the sides to work but the front and back skin will not work. I followed the directions in the reskinning topic by MikeyPI, but the fire_engine1_2.dds doesn't seem to repack properly. Can one of the reskinning vets share their wisdom.

Here is what my unit looks like:

engine 51 front

Engine 51 back

Since I'm at it how do I apply these textures to a unit? I made copies of all the model files and the prototypes and renamed them to engine51 but they still referrer to the original textures for engine 7.

If this post is in the wrong place I apologize.

Guest pappy02us

Thanks guys.

So I have managed to get a separate prototype but I still can't get the second set of textures to apply correctly. :machkaputt: I don't know if they aren't repacking right or I'm not saving them right. I've been working on this for three days and still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've even completely restarted. Does anyone have any Ideas?

Here is the latest pics of my progress.

engine517.jpg

edit: OK I think I figured out what's going on. The bottom part of my texture is been lost during packing or saving.

SKIN REMOVED

Guest pappy02us

OK so I've playing around with the texture some more and still failing.:wall: I've gone back to 1.8 for the texture, I've used a different computer. Is there a specific way I should be saving the file before packing, my packed files are 129KB? Should I be using a specific format or compression? I'm using GIMP with the dds plug-in by the way. I still don't understand why the main texture works but the second one fail. :1046274283_heul: OK enough whining back to try something else. If anyone as any advice or ideas I'm all ears. :1046276372_bawling:

in my experience i never repacked a reskin. every time i did it would crash my game.

Hi pappy02us,

I agree with Jon on this one. I also do not repack the files once I have edited them, when I have tried I often find parts missing, so now I leave them unlocked and they are fine.

Take care

Shane

Nice job, Id love to use it if we had an airport on the map.

On the repacking, i never repack either. Just a theory, but EM4 wasnt the best written game even in its day, so I suppose it has problems with files that were packed, and then unpacked. If the files never been packed, then it will pack it up fine.