jab16

What the F*** ?

Amazing what you find if you google

Tim Reid in Washington for The Times

The CIA is attempting to recruit more spies by advertising on the internet, radio and television, and by holding meetings with American Muslims to make up a severe shortage of Arabic speakers.

In a bid to fulfil a pledge by George W. Bush, the former President, to expand the agency’s clandestine arm, advertisements have been placed on websites such as Career Builder, and on the online versions of The Economist and The Washington Post.

Leon Panetta, the new CIA director, will meet Muslim groups in cities such as Detroit to spearhead personally the new drive to recruit Arabic speakers. He recently lamented the fact that only 13 per cent of CIA officers speak a foreign language, and just 22 per cent come from minorities.

“In order to accomplish our vital intelligence mission we want to market our employment opportunities to speakers of Arabic, Russian, Korean, Pashtu and Urdu,” George Little, a CIA spokesman, told The Times.

“We want to emphasise to those communities that we welcome first-generation Americans to apply. They bring critical language skills and a knowledge of culture to support our intelligence mission.”

A typical recruiting advertisement recently posted on the Chronicle of Higher Education’s website is headlined “Central Intelligence Agency, National Clandestine Service Careers, Linguists. You Can Make a World of Difference. Are you up to the challenge of achieving our mission abroad?”

It adds: “This career track offers rewarding, fast-paced, and high-impact challenges.” The CIA is also advertising on the social networking site Facebook and YouTube.

Earlier this month Scott White, third in command at the CIA, held meetings with Arab-American and Chaldean-American representatives in Detroit, which has heavily populated American Muslim suburbs. He told the groups that he would bring Mr Panetta to a future meeting.

Mr Little said that the CIA holds about 2,000 recruiting events a year, often at universities across the country. It also advertises for recruits on billboards at airports. Last year, the agency received about 120,000 applications. This year it is on course to receive at least 180,000.

The CIA is still recovering from morale problems and an exodus of senior officials during a series of bruising battles with the Bush White House about the intelligence used to justify the Iraq war.

As the US focuses its attention on Afghanistan and Pakistan, senior members of President Obama’s Administration are conceding that their on-the-ground knowledge of Afghanistan in particular is minimal.

Dennis Blair, Mr Obama’s Director of National Intelligence, told reporters last week that the US lacks a deep understanding of local power structures in Afghanistan and of the militants operating along that country’s border with Pakistan.

Yeah but this is the CIA kind of weird

How else would they get new personell? Our intelligence service (AIVD) also recruits on job markets and career events etc. It's really not that uncommon.

hmmm i thought it was weird but i guess not. Oh well lol the economy takes a toll on everything

where the hell do you think all of our money is going? into pointless organizations like the CIA.

seriously, we could pay for healthcare for the entire country for years if we didnt build so much crap for the military. with the cost of like one F-22 Raptor you could feed the entire populace of Africa for a day. :1046276128_motz:

Guest Taylor
where the hell do you think all of our money is going? into pointless organizations like the CIA.

seriously, we could pay for healthcare for the entire country for years if we didnt build so much crap for the military. with the cost of like one F-22 Raptor you could feed the entire populace of Africa for a day. :1046276128_motz:

Actually, we are doing missions in Africa, feeding people. The US Navy and Marines and doing a ton of HUMAID missions as we speak. If we removed the dictatorship in Africa, (like we did in Iraq) it would be significantly better for Africa. However.. I don't know what they'd do, I guess we'd help them start building their nation after we remove their dictatorship.

Actually, we are doing missions in Africa, feeding people. The US Navy and Marines and doing a ton of HUMAID missions as we speak. If we removed the dictatorship in Africa, (like we did in Iraq) it would be significantly better for Africa. However.. I don't know what they'd do, I guess we'd help them start building their nation after we remove their dictatorship.

But we all know that's not what they were doing in Iraq, their real business wasn't with the dictatorship over there, it was with Iraqi oil production. They involved Saddam to cover this mess this thing up. In my point of view, if none of that had happened, Iraq wouldn't be in the same condition as it is today, it would've been a lot better if the US and British didn't do any of that. I'm not saying that I supported Saddam, I f***ing hated him!

But now let's talk about Africa. Trust me, if they started sending troops over there, the only thing that would happen is, the casualties rate would start increase more than it is right now, that wouldn't be any good right? I'm aware there's a lot of AID missions like you mentioned above. But Ami has a point, the government spends more money on the military than anything else. And think about it, the money we're paying isn't helping anybody, it's only killing even more people.

I'm pretty sure the C.I.A isn't a "useless" organisation.

But now let's talk about Africa. Trust me, if they started sending troops over there, the only thing that would happen is, the casualties rate would start increase more than it right now, that wouldn't be any good right? I'm aware there's a lot of AID missions like you mentioned above. But Ami has a point, the government spends more money on the military than anything else. And think about it, the money we're paying isn't helping anybody, it's only killing even more people.

I think the casaulty rate would only increase for a very short period while the armed forces fight the warlords, but I'm pretty sure that's better than the current suffering. The death rate would never exceed that of the Mugabe reign or the Rwanda genocide.

Last time somebody in power said "Let's stop all this spending on the military - We should be able to talk issues and conflict around the table", several years later we were at war again that lasted 6 years. World peace is nice on paper, but not everyone thinks in the same manner.

Darn. I was hoping to hear Taylor's point of view.