MikeyPI

Reskinning Vehicle(s)

Guest firemike550
Change the cv_chp.dds file to something like cv_chp1.v3o. Go into the editor and load the LA Mod. Click on the mods menu and click unpack. Find the file you want to unlock and click unpack. It doesn't show a confirmation message. Quit the editor and rename the file back to what it was originally, e.g cv_chp.dds. Then convert it or open it in Pint.NET.

id tried both and the dds converter still gave me an error, and the paint.NET said there was an unspecified error when trying to open this file

id tried both and the dds converter still gave me an error, and the paint.NET said there was an unspecified error when trying to open this file

Both?

That's how you unlock the files. You need to do all the instructions. There is a more detailed tutorial somewhere on the forums. Search unlocking files.

Guest firemike550
Both?

That's how you unlock the files. You need to do all the instructions. There is a more detailed tutorial somewhere on the forums. Search unlocking files.

yeah i tried i just dont understand why it dont work

Guest firemike550
Before you rename the file, click tools at the top and go to folder options. Click view at the top of that window and make sure Hide extensions for known file types isn't ticked. Then when you rename it you can change the file type as well.

when you rename it you do it out of the editor right?

because i have always had the file extensions thing unlocked

Guest firemike550
Go o program files and find emergency 4. open the foler for the LA mod and you rename the filess in there.

ok but when i change the name and the file, i hen unlock it in the editor then exit the editor and rename it, then try to convert it or open it in the paint.net and i still get an error, could it be because i have vista?

Guest firemike550
Vista isn't the problem. I have Vista and it works fine. The tutorial is in the first post of this topic. Make sure you are doing everything it says.

okay but if the vehicle has multiple files ex: door, door, etc do you change them all?

Guest firemike550
Does it work for the rest of the vehicles?

i tried it with the lapp vehicle and it still dont work

when you rename it from dds to v3o, i change it like to lappy.v3o, then open the editor and unlock it, then change the name back to lapp.dds thats all correct right?

Guest firemike550
Yes. Are you actually changing the file type? When you change the file type it should ask you if you're sure you want to change it and that it could make it unstable.

yeah it does all that

ok, so I unlocked the file and I have changed the skin to my liking in photo shop. Now how do I put the car back into the files to show up in the game and editor? I used the la port police car. I changed file name to cv_lapp1.dds so i could work on the skin. after I changed the skin, I changed the file name back to cv_lapp.dds and put it back into the files where it was originally. After that I went into the editor and clicked on the car and the lights showed up, but not the rest of the body. Anybody have an idea what i did wrong or what steps I skipped? additionaly if I want to re skin, does this mean I am not going to have the port police car in the game? Sorry for the noob questions but i have to learn this from somewhere.

---Alright found my problem, I didn't flatten the image when I was done with it. The file works perfectly and runs well in the game. my other question is how do I make another car in the game so the model I just made doesn't have to replace the port police car?