MikeyPI

Reskinning Vehicle(s)

I just noticed that Photoshop 64bit doesn't support DDS files. Any suggestions?

I don't think you can open DDS files in Photoshop unless you have the DDS plugin so you'll have to convert it. What most of us do is use the DDS converter from the download section and convert it to a Photoshop (.psd) file from that.

I don't think you can open DDS files in Photoshop unless you have the DDS plugin so you'll have to convert it. What most of us do is use the DDS converter from the download section and convert it to a Photoshop (.psd) file from that.

Yeah, I discovered that only later after searching on Google. But the DDS Converter is not seeing the V3O file though. Why doesn't it see the file?

Yeah, I discovered that only later after searching on Google. But the DDS Converter is not seeing the V3O file though. Why doesn't it see the file?

DDS converter will not see the .v3o, that's why you must rename the .v3o to .dds.

I uploaded a text document like 4 posts up and it's step by step of what you need to do so you can edit the texture in photoshop. Easier just looking at that then explaining it.

DDS converter will not see the .v3o, that's why you must rename the .v3o to .dds.

I uploaded a text document like 4 posts up and it's step by step of what you need to do so you can edit the texture in photoshop. Easier just looking at that then explaining it.

I found that and was using it all along. Well which DDS Converter are you using because my version's 'Convert' button is grayed out. So apparently it won't allow me to convert the dds file.... frustrating.

Not sure why the process is so complicated. I have PHotoshop CS5 64bit and DVD Converter 2.

Here's what I've done thus far:

1. Go into the models folder. Rename the 'ambulance01.dds' file to 'ambulance01ABC' and changed its extension to '.v3o'.

2. Launch EM4's Editor. Find the modified file and click on 'Unpack'. File unpacks successfully although there is no message indicating this.

3. Go back to the Models folder and find the file that I changed. Got to be careful to grab the correct file! Change the modified file back to its original filename and extension. So ambulance01ABC.v3o became 'ambulance01.dds.

4. I moved the file out to my desktop.

5. Launched DDS Converter. Configured it to save the file as a Photoshop file (PSD). Found the file I modified and clicked 'Convert'. Conversion was successful! Exit DDS Converter.

6. Found the modified file which is now a PSD file. Opened it in Photoshop successfully. Here's where I'm stuck. When I'm done editting, what do I save the file as? What do I do next before returning the file to its Model folder?

What ya'll need to do which isnt ungodly hard is to find the file which you've reskinned, if you're uncertain as to it's original name unpack the original V3O as well, open the v3o in note pad whatever it is named you must either save your texture change as that in dds IE rescue1.dds or alternatively change the model v3o to say whatever you wish to rename it into via the srf form of the model.

SRF, Body3, 0, 0, 0, ladder013.dds, 517, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

to

SRF, Body3, 0, 0, 0, ladder013.bmp, 517, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

What ya'll need to do which isnt ungodly hard is to find the file which you've reskinned, if you're uncertain as to it's original name unpack the original V3O as well, open the v3o in note pad whatever it is named you must either save your texture change as that in dds IE rescue1.dds or alternatively change the model v3o to say whatever you wish to rename it into via the srf form of the model.

SRF, Body3, 0, 0, 0, ladder013.dds, 517, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

to

SRF, Body3, 0, 0, 0, ladder013.bmp, 517, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

There are a couple of issues that will cause people problems even if they're following the posted instructions. One is that if someone is using Photoshop which is referenced several times in the posted tutorials, and they're 64bit users, they will have problems. Also, the Converter is failing on converting the file (extensions changed to DDS) that was previously edited in Photoshop. So for some, the process may be easy but for others it's frustrating as we discover things that sometimes were not always addressed in posted tutorials.

The whole kicker is that unlike the original modification you don't have to use DDS format to make the model/skins work, the game supports tons of formats for textures you just can't pack them like the original LA mod has them. DDS is used for it's compression unless you're distributing your mods I really don't see a need to do this. Save em as PNG TGA BMP take your pick whichever you want, some other formats are supported but I don't wanna list em all...

Open the MODEL file (the V3O) using notepad and rename the SRF lines to be the extension that your modified skin uses and save your changes... IF on Vista/7 you need to move it outta program files just like the skin had to be in order to save changes...

This method is much simpler than returning it to DDS format for personal use there is no real necessity to do so, just edit a few letters in the model v3o file and you're done... Just remember to unpack both the skin and the model. IMO it's a pain in the backside to have to unpack everything just to modify the skin... but it saves mod size so I know why it was done.

This is what my explanation was covering.

Not sure why the process is so complicated. I have PHotoshop CS5 64bit and DVD Converter 2.

Here's what I've done thus far:

1. Go into the models folder. Rename the 'ambulance01.dds' file to 'ambulance01ABC' and changed its extension to '.v3o'.

2. Launch EM4's Editor. Find the modified file and click on 'Unpack'. File unpacks successfully although there is no message indicating this.

3. Go back to the Models folder and find the file that I changed. Got to be careful to grab the correct file! Change the modified file back to its original filename and extension. So ambulance01ABC.v3o became 'ambulance01.dds.

4. I moved the file out to my desktop.

5. Launched DDS Converter. Configured it to save the file as a Photoshop file (PSD). Found the file I modified and clicked 'Convert'. Conversion was successful! Exit DDS Converter.

6. Found the modified file which is now a PSD file. Opened it in Photoshop successfully. Here's where I'm stuck. When I'm done editting, what do I save the file as? What do I do next before returning the file to its Model folder?

Awesome. What you need to do is just save it as .psd or whatever image file you want, Open DDS Converter and convert it back to a .dds.

There are a couple of issues that will cause people problems even if they're following the posted instructions. One is that if someone is using Photoshop which is referenced several times in the posted tutorials, and they're 64bit users, they will have problems. Also, the Converter is failing on converting the file (extensions changed to DDS) that was previously edited in Photoshop. So for some, the process may be easy but for others it's frustrating as we discover things that sometimes were not always addressed in posted tutorials.

Photoshop, has nothing to do with the problem unless your trying to open the DDS file with Photoshop. If you convert the DDS file to PSD file, then you wouldn't have to worry about any problems with Photoshop.

I think it is very simple instructions. That's why I typed my own step by step guide but looks like it isn't easy enough to figure out. I tried to make it short and simple but looks like i need to be thorough. How is DDS Converter failing? I have never had any problems with DDS converter failing to convert files and I been using it for over a year now on this game and a couple others. Open DDS Converter > find file you want to convert > At the bottom, say you want to convert DDS to PSD and then it converts the files into the folder where you have your file at so you'll just have to go to that file to look for it. Other than that, you would be having to do something wrong on your side. To convert it back - Open DDS Converter > Find File you want to convert back > at the bottom, say you want to convert PSD to DDS and wah la, you have a converted file.

If I sound harsh, I don't mean to be but I mean, it's pretty basic. I don't think we can make it any easier than that.

Awesome. What you need to do is just save it as .psd or whatever image file you want, Open DDS Converter and convert it back to a .dds.

Photoshop, has nothing to do with the problem unless your trying to open the DDS file with Photoshop. If you convert the DDS file to PSD file, then you wouldn't have to worry about any problems with Photoshop.

I think it is very simple instructions. That's why I typed my own step by step guide but looks like it isn't easy enough to figure out. I tried to make it short and simple but looks like i need to be thorough. How is DDS Converter failing? I have never had any problems with DDS converter failing to convert files and I been using it for over a year now on this game and a couple others. Open DDS Converter > find file you want to convert > At the bottom, say you want to convert DDS to PSD and then it converts the files into the folder where you have your file at so you'll just have to go to that file to look for it. Other than that, you would be having to do something wrong on your side. To convert it back - Open DDS Converter > Find File you want to convert back > at the bottom, say you want to convert PSD to DDS and wah la, you have a converted file.

If I sound harsh, I don't mean to be but I mean, it's pretty basic. I don't think we can make it any easier than that.

No, you don't sound harsh. I just need to practice doing this. I'll give it a shot again tonight. Thanks so much for the simplified version.

Question, since I'm just changing the skins, do I just alter the dds files and not the other v30 files?

No, you don't sound harsh. I just need to practice doing this. I'll give it a shot again tonight. Question, since I'm just changing the skins, do I just alter the dds files and not the other v30 files?

Just the .dds file needs to be changed. The .dds file is your texture and you have to change the name and extension for the following reasons: 1. You can't have two .v3o's in the same file -> 2. the texture (.dds) is locked and needs to be unlocked via the editor -> 3. the editor will only see the .v3o files in the models folder.

My first time was a little rough also but if you don't give up and keep trying, you'll get it. If you try to hard and get frustrated, take a break and do something else for a while and then try it again after a while. I do that a lot and it does help clear your mind and get you back on the right page to figuring things out.

Just the .dds file needs to be changed. The .dds file is your texture and you have to change the name and extension for the following reasons: 1. You can't have two .v3o's in the same file -> 2. the texture (.dds) is locked and needs to be unlocked via the editor -> 3. the editor will only see the .v3o files in the models folder.

My first time was a little rough also but if you don't give up and keep trying, you'll get it. If you try to hard and get frustrated, take a break and do something else for a while and then try it again after a while. I do that a lot and it does help clear your mind and get you back on the right page to figuring things out.

Hurray!!! It worked!

Final question, I have also adjusted some of the lights on the ambulance. I know that the Editor auto-saves the file for the game but if I ever needed to reinstall the game from scratch, can I save the ambulance files so that all I need to do is just copy and paste the files into the appropriate folders rather than going into the Editor and readjusting the lights?

Hurray!!! It worked!

Final question, I have also adjusted some of the lights on the ambulance. I know that the Editor auto-saves the file for the game but if I ever needed to reinstall the game from scratch, can I save the ambulance files so that all I need to do is just copy and paste the files into the appropriate folders rather than going into the Editor and readjusting the lights?

I believe so, yes. I think they are adjusted in the prototypes files so you would want to back those up.

Well .. I've read every single word on the first page, AND everything ya'll have just said, and even I have problems. So, if this guide is "easy" to understand I guess I'm stupid because I'm having trouble converting these "easy" files.

For example ...

I want to open the BLS engine, and do some changes

1.) I load the game up and find engine2.v3o

2.) I click Unpack

3.) I move the folder to my desktop

4.) I find the file fire_engine2 (PS: why is there already a .dd file next to the .v3o?)

5.) I rename it to .dds

6.) I open the converter (which I downloaded here) and the converter still can't find it

7.) I try to open it with paint.net and it says there was an unspecific error opening this file

So, what am I doing wrong?

go into your model files,lets say you want the chp charger(for example):

1.find dodge_charger_chp.dds change it to dodge_charger_chp1.V3O(watch spelling spaces and all) when it asks you too change file say yes.

2.open editor choose mod and navigate to dodge_charger_chp1.V3O click unpack

3.go back to your main mod folder and re-name dodge_charger_chp1.V3O back to dodge_charger_chp.dds confirm name change.

4.use dds converter to find and convert (dodge_charger_chp.dds) to a PNG

5.open with gimp2 or paint whatever you use.

this is as simple as it gets hope it helps you....

Guest richendo75

I just started modding and I reskinned the usar fire truck from hoppahs la mod. I was wondering if anyone knew how to you remove the light bar off the top of the truck in front because i dont know how. I deleted it from the dds file but it just goes white

Well .. I've read every single word on the first page, AND everything ya'll have just said, and even I have problems. So, if this guide is "easy" to understand I guess I'm stupid because I'm having trouble converting these "easy" files.

For example ...

I want to open the BLS engine, and do some changes

1.) I load the game up and find engine2.v3o

2.) I click Unpack

3.) I move the folder to my desktop

4.) I find the file fire_engine2 (PS: why is there already a .dd file next to the .v3o?)

5.) I rename it to .dds

6.) I open the converter (which I downloaded here) and the converter still can't find it

7.) I try to open it with paint.net and it says there was an unspecific error opening this file

So, what am I doing wrong?

there is one .dds and one .v3o per model....You change the .dds to .v3o to unpack it because the .dds is your texture but it's "locked". The editor will not see .dds to unpack so you must rename it to .v3o. Once unpacked, you change the name back to .dds so you can convert it to be edited. Make since?

Your not stupid because you can't do it. It's pretty simple following step by step and reading carefully. Goog told you what to do exactly.

go into your model files,lets say you want the chp charger(for example):

1.find dodge_charger_chp.dds change it to dodge_charger_chp1.V3O(watch spelling spaces and all) when it asks you too change file say yes.

2.open editor choose mod and navigate to dodge_charger_chp1.V3O click unpack

3.go back to your main mod folder and re-name dodge_charger_chp1.V3O back to dodge_charger_chp.dds confirm name change.

4.use dds converter to find and convert (dodge_charger_chp.dds) to a PNG

5.open with gimp2 or paint whatever you use.

this is as simple as it gets hope it helps you....

Well put.

** Have you got it figured out pyro??