Newfoundking

Video Editing Software

I don't mean free stuff... I have a load of money to spend on video editing software, but I don't know which one is the best option... I have bottomless pockets for this project basically...

I want to know the BEST top of the line software for editing videos that works on a PC. I hope someone here knows what I am looking for... I just need this and I will be ready to go :)

I've heard good things about Adobe Premier, whats your opinion?

Depends exactly what your doing. For example if I want a fight from an MMA card the files come in avi containers encoded with xvid. For these I use virtualdubmod to simply cut the fight out and it retains all of the original quality.

Now if say you wanted to make a music video out of it, then Premiere may be a good choice, but perhaps a bit complicated so perhaps you could try Nero 6. The last version of Nero 6 was insanely stable and mostly bug free. After V6 was complete they sold the company to Ahead and since then it has gone down hill in terms of stability despite great new features.

I don't mean free stuff... I have a load of money to spend on video editing software, but I don't know which one is the best option... I have bottomless pockets for this project basically...

I want to know the BEST top of the line software for editing videos that works on a PC. I hope someone here knows what I am looking for... I just need this and I will be ready to go :)

I've heard good things about Adobe Premier, whats your opinion?

The key here is "Top of the Line", which I am going to interpret as professional level vs regular consumer grade. In the multimedia video editing and post-production world there are really only 3 players, Final Cut Pro for mac or Adobe Premiere for windows, and Avid Media composer for both. Both Premiere and FCP will run you around 1200 bucks for software, and expect another 4 grand for hardware if you actually plan on doing anything more then just making youtube vids. Then you have to factor in 2 to 3 grand for plugins and addons, which there are hundreds of, and many are, unfortunately, necessary to create the types of movies and shows you see today.

The other option is avid media composer which has its core following, but is being replaced by many stations and moviemakers by the above two. Even most film schools are switching to FCP and Adobe.

You say you have bottomless pockets, well, expect to pay as much as you would for a small car, and since you are locked into PC, you're only real choice is Adobe Premier Pro CS4 or Avid.

For prosumer level though, you can also take a look at Sony Vegas, but it's missing many of the features that are industry standards.

Nero, roxio, and any of those "can be bought at best buy for about 100 bucks" are just for the mom and pop consumer videos, they're neither best, nor professional, nor top of the line or worth your time if you are thinking of getting a job in the industry.

Nero, roxio, and any of those "can be bought at best buy for about 100 bucks" are just for the mom and pop consumer videos, they're neither best, nor professional, nor top of the line or worth your time if you are thinking of getting a job in the industry.

Nero may not be top of the line but none the less I know guys who pull together professional looking dvds all the time using nothing but Nero.

Nero may not be top of the line but none the less I know guys who pull together professional looking dvds all the time using nothing but Nero.

And not to be crass, or get into a pissing contest, but I have made a lot of money with photos I took using a 200 dollar point and shoot camera, but it is in no way a professional camera, nor would it fit under the category "BEST top of the line". And not to put to fine a point on it or belabor the point, but saying something is "professional looking" in the multimedia industry is a lot like comparing 7th grade homework to upper division college courses. Nero and Roxio will never be able to produce the level of work you find on the "Tonight Show" or the latest hollywood blockbuster, but it won't look like crayon scribbles from kindergarten.

Well I certainly agree with you here but again it comes down to the content. I doubt he is going to be needed to do huge cgi scenes(which granted none of the above can do I dont think) like a bus or plane blowing up like you might find in the latest blockbuster. For example one of the comps I speak of was MMA fights. Well UFC fights to be specific, but anyways, they made an intro video previewing there next release, which then led you to a nice menu allowing you to choose play all or chapters. Say we choose play all. You have a nice cut away screen which then leads into fight 1. Now fight 1 is over and its time to move on to fight 2. Well here again you get a nice transition into a screen showing you who the next fight is. This screen usually consists of music, text and what I would guess is an animated gif as the video of fight 2 is shown playing while its a bit clouded over if ya get what I mean. Another transition and into fight 2. Then repeat. This is about the same extent that a true UFC home dvd would follow.

I guess what I am saying is call it what you want, while Nero has no doubt gone down the crapper over the past few years its capable of some marvelous work and might be just right for the project at hand. Perhaps its not.

Oh and no pissing contest mike, just a civilized debate/convo.