Newfoundking

Time to get fancy

basically I want you to give the local terms for the fire ranks and trucks and what it means...

Like here, We have Fire Capts instead of Batt Chief and a fire pickup, isnt a burning pickup, it is a small equipment vehicle.

A Rescue truck can be the big dirty rescue truck, or the small ambulance rescues we have..

We don't call them engines, its a pumper. And as for the new guy, he is supposed to be called cadet, but everyone knows that never happens.

We have ladders for ladder trucks, and Towers, well for the tower truck... The chief drives the chief car, and the command truck is also the hazmat truck... Funny hey, lets stick the radioactive people with the ones telling us what to do XD

So tell us about your area and what it is called, love to hear the terms from around the world... Especially what swuad means in your area... Here it means it is another departments truck XD we don't use that term :P

Pumpers, Ladder Platforms, Turntable Ladders (Only one left in service), Aerial Pumps, Tankers, Hazmat (Heavy Hazmat, HazPump, HazTanker), Rescue (Heavy Rescue, RescuePump, Rescue Tanker), USAR, Duty Commanders, Zone Commanders, ICV - Incident Control Vehicle, SEV - (Service Exchange Vehicle), C02, FIRU, K9, FireAir1, Marine1, LSV -Logistical Support Vehcile.

That's mostly the main categories, there are others but the list will go on further.

That's just appliances for the Urban fire service of NSW, i could go on about the Rural fire service too!

I will post ranks a little later.

^ lol

STLFD is pretty basic.

HAZMAT = HAZMAT

Quint = Engine

Heavy Rescue = Rescue

Ladder = H&L

Chief = BC or DC

Ambulance = Medic

Support Vehicle = Support (I think)

Command = Command

FIU = FIU or its number (821)

Dunno what they call the Collapse Rescue Unit, Air truck (probably Air or Air truck), or Fuel truck (probably Fuel or Fuel truck)

ranks later

dammit, youtube function aint workin:
Hey, just as a notice, we see now youtube vid, might be a problem with the code....

The youtube function has been replaced by an overal video function :)

You can use this button rte-video-button.png to insert a video. It will create these tags: [ video ] [ /video ] (only without space between the brackets). You can insert the video link between those brackets.

Existing youtube movies will still be shown untill the post will be edited.

with the list of ami:

HAZMAT = dekontaminatie unit (mostly containers)

Engine = Tankautospuit (TAS)

Rescue = Hulpverleningsvoertuig (HV)

Ladder = Autoladder (AL)

High Rise Unit: Hoogwerker (HW)

Chief = Officier van Dienst (OvD)

Support Vehicle = Personeel/materieel (PM)

Hose Vehicle: Slangenwagen (AS)

Command = Commandovoertuig (CV)]

Tanker: Tankwagen (TW)

Water accident vehicle: Waterongevallenwagen (WO)

Crashtender: Crashtender (CT)

i think i have most of it now

with the list of ami:

HAZMAT = dekontaminatie unit (mostly containers)

We actually call those OGS vehicles, it stands for Ongevallen gevaarlijke stoffen (accidents with dangerous substances).

And off course we also have foam vehicles called schuimbluswagens and powder extinghuish vehicles called poederbluswagens.

The Dutch fire service does not have any ambulances, some departments do have a first responder which is utilized with heart attacks near the fire station.

I must say, pronouncing some of those names makes me laugh, like the poederbluswagens.... is it said like powder, blus(like plus with a B) wagen? I would like to know how they are pronounced because I heard that there are some alterations with the letters from english like the J in martijnjuh's name...

Down here in Fort Erie, Ontario, we've got:

Probationary Fire Fighters, or Probies,

Fire Fighters,

Captains,

Deputy District Chiefs, and,

District Chiefs

All of the above are at the Station level, with 1 Captain per 10 Fire Fighters. It's similar to the Canadian Forces, where you have one Warrant Officer in charge of a platoon, and then, usually, you have a Sergeant or another Warrant as your 2IC, or Second in Command, and then you have one Sergeant per 10 Troops. The Navy and Airforce obviously have their equivalent ranks for those of the Army.

The Trucks the fellas down here use are:

Engine -> Pump (Pump 1 through Pump 6)

Ladder -> Ladder (Ladder 1) *note* the other aerial in Fort Erie is Tower 4, which is a TeleSquirt of I think 55'

SEV -> Rescue (Rescues 1, 3, 4, and 6)

Rescue -> Heavy Rescue (Heavy Rescues 2 and 5)

Tankers -> Tank (Tanks 4 and 5)

We also have a Utility, which is similar to an sev, and we have 2 13.5 Meter Rigid-hull Inflatable Boats.

The numbering System is very simple down here. Station 1 has Pump 1, Rescue 1, Ladder 1 and Boat 1. All the trucks in a station have the same number. So, Pump 4 and Tower 4 are from the same station.

There are a few Cars in town, which are used by various Officers, some of whom are fire fighters, as ares are paid-on-call.

Car 1 -> Chief

Car 2 -> Deputy Chief

Car 3 -> Fire Prevention Inspector (Also Distric Chief of Station 3)

Car 4 -> Fire Investigation Officer

Car 5 -> Fire Investigation

Car 6 -> Public Education Officer (Also Distric Chief of Station 6)

Any question, ask and you shall be told :holdglass:

HAZMAT = Veículo de Protecção Multiriscos Especial - VPME

Light Engine = Veículo Ligeiro de Combate a Incêndios - VLCI

Engine - urban = Veículo Urbano de Combate a Incêndios - VUCI

Engine - forest = Veículo Florestal de Combate a Incêndios - VFCI

Engine - rural areas = Veículo Rural de Combate a Incêndios - VRCI

Special Engine (not crashtender, but has with foam and special extinguish agents) - Veículo Especial de Combate a Incêndios - VECI

Light Rescue = Veículo de Socorro e Assistência Táctico - VSAT

Heavy Rescue = Veículo de Socorro e Assistência Especial - VSAE

Ladder = Veículo com Escada Giratória – VEx (x is the nr of meters)

High Rise Unit = Veículo com Plataforma Giratória - VPx (x is the nr of meters)

Support Vehicle = Veículo com Equipamento Técnico de Apoio - VETA

Command = Veículo de Comando Táctico – VCOT

Advanced Command = Veículo de Comando e Comunicações – VCOC

Tanker - urban: Veículo Tanque Táctico Urbano - VTTU

Tanker - forest: Veículo Tanque Táctico Florestal - VTTF

Tanker - rural areas: Veículo Tanque Táctico Rural - VTTR

Heavy Tanker = Veículo Tanque Grande Capacidade - VTGC

Water accident vehicle: Veículo de Apoio a Mergulhadores - VAME

Ambulance BLS = Ambulância de Socorro – ABSC

Ambulance ALS = Ambulância de Cuidados Intensivos – ABCI

Transport Ambulance = Ambulância de Transporte de Doentes - ABTD

Down here in Fort Erie, Ontario, we've got:

Probationary Fire Fighters, or Probies,

Fire Fighters,

Captains,

Deputy District Chiefs, and,

District Chiefs

All of the above are at the Station level, with 1 Captain per 10 Fire Fighters. It's similar to the Canadian Forces, where you have one Warrant Officer in charge of a platoon, and then, usually, you have a Sergeant or another Warrant as your 2IC, or Second in Command, and then you have one Sergeant per 10 Troops. The Navy and Airforce obviously have their equivalent ranks for those of the Army.

The Trucks the fellas down here use are:

Engine -> Pump (Pump 1 through Pump 6)

Ladder -> Ladder (Ladder 1) *note* the other aerial in Fort Erie is Tower 4, which is a TeleSquirt of I think 55'

SEV -> Rescue (Rescues 1, 3, 4, and 6)

Rescue -> Heavy Rescue (Heavy Rescues 2 and 5)

Tankers -> Tank (Tanks 4 and 5)

We also have a Utility, which is similar to an sev, and we have 2 13.5 Meter Rigid-hull Inflatable Boats.

The numbering System is very simple down here. Station 1 has Pump 1, Rescue 1, Ladder 1 and Boat 1. All the trucks in a station have the same number. So, Pump 4 and Tower 4 are from the same station.

There are a few Cars in town, which are used by various Officers, some of whom are fire fighters, as ares are paid-on-call.

Car 1 -> Chief

Car 2 -> Deputy Chief

Car 3 -> Fire Prevention Inspector (Also Distric Chief of Station 3)

Car 4 -> Fire Investigation Officer

Car 5 -> Fire Investigation

Car 6 -> Public Education Officer (Also Distric Chief of Station 6)

Any question, ask and you shall be told :holdglass:

If i'm not correct it's volunteer out in fort erie right? I know out here in Lincoln we've got volunteers, as well as the surrounding areas (except Hamilton and St. catharines).

For our apparatus it is the same (by station):

Pump 1, Squad 1, Tanker 1, Aerial 1

Pump 2, Squad 2

Pump 3, Squad 3

Pump 4, Rescue 4, Tanker 4.

Here, the closest thing to a volly department in the MET area, is the half time department on the outskirts. Half time is when 9-5 trained fire fighters work on weekdays, then if you put in a call after 5 pm or before 9am on a week day, then you get volunteers, or if you call on a weekend. Different schedule, but it works for what the station gets used.. Since it is under the SJRFD, it gets all the new stuff, just not as much, because it isn't needed. Also, it can be called from 911, which most rural areas, or anywhere outside of Met really doesn't get for emergency, you need to call a 7 digit number like 555-5487 or something along those lines, you might get one like 722 fire, but not very often...

There is a quick breifing

pumper = engine

Ladder = truck

heavy rescue = rescue

water tankers = tankers

Cheifs vehicles = cars

ALS & BLS ambulances = ambulance (run seperatly from the fire department in my area)

brush fire unit = brush truck

all apparatus in my county has a county designation based on which department it belongs to and what part of the county and mutual aid system it's in. EX T-633, T for truck, 6 for Battalion 6 (part of the county mutual aid plan), 3 for the number of the department in the battalion, and 3 for the number of the unit in the department, most people use those numbers to identify the unit's, both on and off the radio. EX" 633, car1, be advised were on scene, heavy smoke showing"